Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Duval officially declares for the draft.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

Go get it young fella. Make money and make us proud.

Good Luck young man. I believe you need another year or two to better aquaint yourself to the rigors involved. Again , my best wishes - and I hope you make millions !

Thank you Trevon Duval for choosing to come to Duke during your lone college season. Your ability to break down a defender one-on-one and get into the paint was special. You were our best performer against Kansas, and you put the team on your back down the stretch for the win against FSU. I'll always remember your penchant for coming up with a timely three-pointer right when we needed to start a run -- or staunch the bleeding.

Good luck in your pro career.

So the link didn’t actually say that he had hired an agent, just that he had put his name in. But the quotes sure sound like he’s definitely gone.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    So the link didn’t actually say that he had hired an agent, just that he had put his name in. But the quotes sure sound like he’s definitely gone.
    The quotes for much of the season have made it clear he was leaving. He mentioned previously that the UNC game was his last in Cameron.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    It's being reported that he hired an agent.

I hope Trevon finds success at the next level, however I really don't understand the rush to hire an agent.

With the new system that's in place you have time to make an informed decision on your future. By hiring an agent there's no turning back.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    I hope Trevon finds success at the next level, however I really don't understand the rush to hire an agent.

With the new system that's in place you have time to make an informed decision on your future. By hiring an agent there's no turning back.
    I'm sure he got a lot of scouts feedback through Coach K already.

Interesting take here that Duval didn't have a good enough year to improve his stock for the NBA...

https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie/stat...73136318853120

Goodman's Take Has Some Interesting Tidbits:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...-iii-nba-draft

"Several NBA executives told ESPN that the athletic Duval is a likely second-round pick in June's draft. Duval averaged 10.3 points and 5.6 assists, but NBA executives question his decision-making and also his perimeter shooting. Duval made just 31 of 107 shots from beyond the arc this past season."

"Blue Devils frosh Wendell Carter Jr. and Gary Trent Jr. also are expected to declare for the NBA draft."

I wish TD the best and was glad to have him for a year, but this just seems like a kid who has no desire to be in college. Of the four this year and even going back to 2015, I think he is the least NBA ready of any of our one and done. Of course, it could just be sour grapes and all that.

Sometimes guys have their minds made up. It may be that Duval had no interest in another year outside the NBA.

Depends on how much one values the option to "turn back." If he's reasonably sure he's going to be a 2nd-round draft pick and is okay with that, and if even in the worst case scenario (undrafted) he would rather just start his professional career and try to fight his way into the league, then hiring an agent makes complete sense. For example.

I don’t dispute that Duval is probably destined for the second round but I also have a feeling, much like Frank Jackson, when TD gets to workout for these guys, he will really impress. I said earlier this year he is a lottery pick and I’ll eat those words but I also think he had to perhaps sacrifice more for this team than anyone. (Him or Carter).
    His three pt shooting got better once they found the issue with his eye. Plus there were several games where he hit a key 3, still not a strength but he was never afraid of the moment. He has the athleticism and vision to be a successful pro and I look forward watching him play for many years. I sure hope he surprises the skeptics.

Thanks for all your commitment and hard work this year!
    The ceiling is the roof

Quote Originally Posted by dyedwab View Post
    Interesting take here that Duval didn't have a good enough year to improve his stock for the NBA...

https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie/stat...73136318853120
    Interesting yes, but kind of indisputable. ESPN 100 rankings aren't the same as draft stock, but Duval was ranked ahead of: Collin Sexton, Jaren Jackson, Kevin Knox, Lonnie Walker, Troy Brown, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, and Trae Young, to name a few. I'll be stunned if he goes ahead of a single one of those players. Mayyyyybe Brown.

I get the decision, he was in a tough spot. Would love to have seen what he'd do with 3-4 years, as opposed to just one more, but that's unrealistic I suppose. I'm glad we had him - he was better than he got credit for, with some obvious flaws that are completely normal for freshman point guards at schools without Tyus/Kyrie standards. Hope he lands in a good situation.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Sometimes guys have their minds made up. It may be that Duval had no interest in another year outside the NBA.
    He may have another year or more outside the NBA, possibly even the rest of his life. To my eye, he didn't look anything like a player who could help an NBA team next year. I wish him the best, though.

I would strongly suggest looking at any of Ben Swain's (WRAL) specific references to Trevon Duval and his "desire" to be in college. Simply because a kid leaves Duke, does not mean he does not want to be at Duke. I would love to spend all my time with my wife and kids, but I choose to go to work, and yet few rationale people would say that I had "no desire to be with them." Duval tried. Duval showed up. He played. He cheered for his teammates. No one at Duke seemed to have a bad word to say about him. Coach K seems to be okay with Duval's decision. Duval was a highly sought after recruit, that chose Durham, and chose Duke. What more was the kid supposed to do?

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    He may have another year or more outside the NBA, possibly even the rest of his life. To my eye, he didn't look anything like a player who could help an NBA team next year. I wish him the best, though.
    He will get drafted (probably round 2), and will play in the NBA next year. What he does from there, nobody knows. But he is going to be in the NBA next year.

I'd bet Tre ends up a late first rounder. The NBA combine will help him more than almost anyone else. He also played really well in the NCAA tournament, which NBA scouts value very heavily.

He's a little raw, but the athletic gifts are in the top 5% of even the NBA. He's risky, but there's a chance he could really blow up with a few years of development.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The quotes for much of the season have made it clear he was leaving. He mentioned previously that the UNC game was his last in Cameron.
    I thought this had been debunked (and that his quote was actually about it being the last game in Cameron for “this team”). That’s neither here nor there though at this point.