Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell

FB: NC State 31, Duke 20

Duke heads on the road again to face the Wolfpack in Carter-Finley Stadium for the first time since beating Russell Wilson eons ago.

State’s an early 4 point favorite. There will be ~ 4000 fans in the stadium for the first time for State this year.

(My starting the game thread worked last week - hoping this becomes a permanent gig!)
    Last edited by Bob Green; 10-17-2020 at 07:13 PM.

Go Devils! I was at that Russell Wilson game - probably the most fun I have ever had at an away game. I know I'm not alone in believing we should play State every year.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

We must take care of the football as we will not win this game with a -4 turnover margin. The offense has looked good (minus the turnovers) for three straight halves. The streak needs to extend to five in Raleigh on Saturday.
    Bob Green

Take care of the ball boys. Do that and we can win.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Take care of the ball boys. Do that and we can win.
    I have no doubt of this at all and based on past games with them, this just might be a barn burner of a game. I'm already excited about this one - let's make it 2 in a row, Devils!

Quote Originally Posted by peloton View Post
    I have no doubt of this at all and based on past games with them, this just might be a barn burner of a game. I'm already excited about this one - let's make it 2 in a row, Devils!
    Looking at the defensive ammunition to throw at State, any news on the return of Mark Gilbert (foot), and Josh Blackwell (knee)?

Jim Sumner article on front page:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...e-acc-football

I wondered about Damond Philyaw-Johnson’s absence against Syracuse. He is injured. Of course, no details provided.
    Bob Green

Man the last two Duke-State games were really memorable. The last one was the Devon Edwards' double pick six + kickoff TD return game, which continued Duke's path to the ACC Coastal. The time before, Thad Lewis outdueled Russell Wilson in a shootout.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Here are the TV channels carrying the game:
    https://theacc.com/sports/2020/10/8/...U_NCSU_20.aspx

I would not expect a blackout map to be available. Roughly speaking, if you are in the conference footprint, your options is your local RSN from the list above or the online service associated with it. Those outside the area will have those options as well as ESPN College Extra if your provider carries it and ESPN3 online as part of WatchESPN functionality.

Positive turnover margin and I think we can win this without a doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Here are the TV channels carrying the game:
    https://theacc.com/sports/2020/10/8/...U_NCSU_20.aspx

I would not expect a blackout map to be available. Roughly speaking, if you are in the conference footprint, your options is your local RSN from the list above or the online service associated with it. Those outside the area will have those options as well as ESPN College Extra if your provider carries it and ESPN3 online as part of WatchESPN functionality.
    I can't wait until basketball season so I can drop Hulu. We won't fall this far down the pecking order. If you are really up a creek without a paddle, you can watch a condensed game on Youtube about 1 hour after the game to see the major plays of the game. (Sorry, runs up the middle for 1 yard or dropped passes are omitted.)

It makes me sad that I won't get to attend a Duke game @NCSU until 2032. I might be dead by then.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post

It makes me sad that I won't get to attend a Duke game @NCSU until 2032. I might be dead by then.
    I'm getting the feeling that this year's experiment in dispensing with divisions is popular. I'm hoping that the divisions will be permanently scrapped. Duke would play NCSU about two years out of three if there are no divisions. Of course, Clemson would also be on our schedule that often but that would have both positive and negative aspects.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Duke is always allowed to schedule State as an OOC opponent.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Duke is always allowed to schedule State as an OOC opponent.
    Which can jeopardize our fragile bowl strategy, which is to generally (but not always, see last year) to have three cup cake-ish OOC opponents which, combined with three conference wins, gets us to a bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    I'm getting the feeling that this year's experiment in dispensing with divisions is popular. I'm hoping that the divisions will be permanently scrapped. Duke would play NCSU about two years out of three if there are no divisions. Of course, Clemson would also be on our schedule that often but that would have both positive and negative aspects.
    It would really put a premium on coaching and development--which I'm all for--and should accentuate recruiting. I suspect that we'll go back to a 9-3 model in the near future, but a year or two of this could bring some solid dividends. On Cut's answer regarding State...I dunno...in my mind, we could afford to be a bit selfish. My empathy for Miami, FSU, BC, etc in the schedule making process leads me to believe "And we should care about that for what reason?". The trade-off for Miami, BC, Cuse etc for entry into the ACC is that they're gonna be geographically isolated. That's just the way it is. Suck it up.

Quote Originally Posted by devilirium View Post
    It would really put a premium on coaching and development--which I'm all for--and should accentuate recruiting. I suspect that we'll go back to a 9-3 model in the near future, but a year or two of this could bring some solid dividends. On Cut's answer regarding State...I dunno...in my mind, we could afford to be a bit selfish. My empathy for Miami, FSU, BC, etc in the schedule making process leads me to believe "And we should care about that for what reason?". The trade-off for Miami, BC, Cuse etc for entry into the ACC is that they're gonna be geographically isolated. That's just the way it is. Suck it up.
    Money, of course, is a HUGE reason for having divisions, so you can have two division champs, then a playoff game...they won't be giving that up easily...

Tangelo and Durant on N.C. State:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...avid-cutcliffe

Mataeo Durant says he and Deon Jackson are similar runners because they both have speed and power.

Side note not related to Jim’s front page article. Duke’s turnover margin is -11 or -2.20 per game. That has to improve and the improvement must start now.
    Bob Green

Is this a fair time to bring up the fact that the production of some of our recent TV games has been simply horrible?...they show replays, thereby missing live action, and most annoyingly, the camera pans in too close, so when there are throws to the sideline, they simply miss the play. Really bad and seemingly not improving.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Money, of course, is a HUGE reason for having divisions, so you can have two division champs, then a playoff game...they won't be giving that up easily...
    No doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Is this a fair time to bring up the fact that the production of some of our recent TV games has been simply horrible?...they show replays, thereby missing live action, and most annoyingly, the camera pans in too close, so when there are throws to the sideline, they simply miss the play. Really bad and seemingly not improving.
    Yes. I agree it is annoying when the camera pans in too close on pass plays.
    Bob Green