Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    re: UVA - news out of Charlottesville today is that Braxton Key (Alabama transfer, 2016 247 composite #59 overall, SF 6'8 225) will apply for a hardship waiver to be eligible for this coming season (18-19). If granted Key will be a junior eligibility-wise, and another player in a VERY similar mold to DeAndre Hunter (extremely long/rangy/athletic with good feel/knack for scoring off the bounce and a developing jump shot), and help shore up the biggest concern for UVA - bench/depth.

Now, I have no idea if his claim is legitimate or an attempt to just take advantage of the system, but after reading the hardship rules, I don't really see much of a way to "BS" it - Key and his family have to prove that an immediate family member (parent, sibling, or primary caregiver) is dealing with a life threatening illness. Documentation needed from multiple physicians. So, if NOT granted, shame on them (slightly) for the attempt. If it IS granted, hard to celebrate too much given the circumstances for the young man and his family.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    re: UVA - news out of Charlottesville today is that Braxton Key (Alabama transfer, 2016 247 composite #59 overall, SF 6'8 225) will apply for a hardship waiver to be eligible for this coming season (18-19). If granted Key will be a junior eligibility-wise, and another player in a VERY similar mold to DeAndre Hunter (extremely long/rangy/athletic with good feel/knack for scoring off the bounce and a developing jump shot), and help shore up the biggest concern for UVA - bench/depth.

Now, I have no idea if his claim is legitimate or an attempt to just take advantage of the system, but after reading the hardship rules, I don't really see much of a way to "BS" it - Key and his family have to prove that an immediate family member (parent, sibling, or primary caregiver) is dealing with a life threatening illness. Documentation needed from multiple physicians. So, if NOT granted, shame on them (slightly) for the attempt. If it IS granted, hard to celebrate too much given the circumstances for the young man and his family.
    Interesting news. I have no idea to legitimacy of Key's hardship waiver but I do know that the NCAA has been making it more difficult to obtain a hardship waiver the last few years. For a while it seemed that if your second cousin once removed had a hangnail you could get a hardship waiver.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

UNC commits 44 turnovers in their two games against heavily overmatched teams of random players from the Bahamas. Will be interesting to watch their point guard situation and how it shakes out.

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Interesting news. I have no idea to legitimacy of Key's hardship waiver but I do know that the NCAA has been making it more difficult to obtain a hardship waiver the last few years. For a while it seemed that if your second cousin once removed had a hangnail you could get a hardship waiver.
    I see the pendulum swinging back the other way in the past few months on this kind of thing...not just hardship, but other eligibility rulings. Of course, they were ridiculously slow to do the right thing for that NC State transfer...punishing him because he took summer school courses at Ohio State (or wherever it was).

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I see the pendulum swinging back the other way in the past few months on this kind of thing...not just hardship, but other eligibility rulings. Of course, they were ridiculously slow to do the right thing for that NC State transfer...punishing him because he took summer school courses at Ohio State (or wherever it was).
    It is worth noting, it wasn't until Beverly and his family obtained private legal representation that the NCAA changed their tune.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    UNC commits 44 turnovers in their two games against heavily overmatched teams of random players from the Bahamas. Will be interesting to watch their point guard situation and how it shakes out.
    Agree, with a grain of salt. They turned the ball over a ton in some easy wins against overmatched teams. We shot poorly from 3 and the FT line in easy wins against overmatched teams. Too early to tell if either will be long-term trends, but so far both appear to be conforming to early concerns.