Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Duke visiting Canada!

I heard an interesting rumor that the Blue Devils would be visiting Canada during the pre-season this year. The presence of RJ Barrett could be a factor in this (possible) trip. Barrett's father, Rowan, is an executive VP with Basketball Canada. If the rumor is true, I'd expect Duke to play in Ottawa, as both Carleton U. and the U of Ottawa are located there and feature strong programs (Carleton has won the Canadian championship at least a dozen times since 2002-03). Another possibility is Ryerson University, located in Toronto. Ryerson recently lost the Canadian final on a last second shot.

Trips such as this one have been made many times in recent years by D. I programs, usually in late August or early September. They get to start training early, and of course there is the bonding aspect while traveling. For a young team it can be a good way to get the season going. Of course, they have to be aware that the games can be harder than anticipated. Carleton in particular has been a tough opponent for visiting squads. Add in the different FIBA style rules (four quarters, 24 second shot clock, etc.) and it can be a bit of a wakeup call for visiting teams.

Has anyone else heard of this possibility?

-----------

Edited to add link to confirmation post for folks just getting here for the first time and wanting to skip the speculation.

-jk
    Last edited by -jk; 05-24-2018 at 08:14 AM. Reason: link

Quote Originally Posted by bluenorth View Post
    I heard an interesting rumor that the Blue Devils would be visiting Canada during the pre-season this year. The presence of RJ Barrett could be a factor in this (possible) trip. Barrett's father, Rowan, is an executive VP with Basketball Canada. If the rumor is true, I'd expect Duke to play in Ottawa, as both Carleton U. and the U of Ottawa are located there and feature strong programs (Carleton has won the Canadian championship at least a dozen times since 2002-03). Another possibility is Ryerson University, located in Toronto. Ryerson recently lost the Canadian final on a last second shot.

Trips such as this one have been made many times in recent years by D. I programs, usually in late August or early September. They get to start training early, and of course there is the bonding aspect while traveling. For a young team it can be a good way to get the season going. Of course, they have to be aware that the games can be harder than anticipated. Carleton in particular has been a tough opponent for visiting squads. Add in the different FIBA style rules (four quarters, 24 second shot clock, etc.) and it can be a bit of a wakeup call for visiting teams.

Has anyone else heard of this possibility?
    Great idea. 4 freshman starters. Great use of time and resources.

College teams are allowed to take foreign trips once every four years. Duke was scheduled to go to the Dominican Republic at the start of this season, but abruptly cancelled just before the trip started. The official reason given was Coach K's knee surgery. But I suspect part of it may also have been waiting to see if the team could get Bagley.

All of which is to say, a trip to Canada would be possible because Duke didn't take the planned trip last year. In fact, the last one I can remember is the 2011 trip to China and Dubai. Anyone remember any others?

The naysayers will claim that K only scheduled the DR trip so that he could get in the extra practices, and that the knee surgery was fake. Anyways, I did not realize that it would not "count" as our once in five years international trip. Going to Canada would be cool, and getting the extra practice time would of course be great with this young team. Also I know several of the college teams that traveled overseas last year ran into security/travel issues abroad, so staying closer to home sounds like a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    The naysayers will claim that K only scheduled the DR trip so that he could get in the extra practices, and that the knee surgery was fake. Anyways, I did not realize that it would not "count" as our once in five years international trip. Going to Canada would be cool, and getting the extra practice time would of course be great with this young team. Also I know several of the college teams that traveled overseas last year ran into security/travel issues abroad, so staying closer to home sounds like a good idea.
    Sorry, to be clear, I don't actually know for sure if our DR trip would count. I'm assuming no, because, you know, we didn't go. I'm not sure how many extra practices we fit in ahead of time, or if we balanced that by sacrificing practices later (or any other means of addressing it). So until you hear from someone official, it remains a relevant question.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    This would be absolutely amazing since I'm moving to Toronto in a couple of months
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Ymm.

220px-Poutine.JPG

Might need its own thread on the OTB, too.

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    This would be absolutely amazing since I'm moving to Toronto in a couple of months
    Welcome to Toronto! You'll love our city - enjoy it take it in, explore and EAT - the restaurants and fusion spots here will have your taste buds a buzzzzz

Will be keeping my eyes on this potential Duke trip to Canada, would love to catch that event.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Ymm.

220px-Poutine.JPG

Might need its own thread on the OTB, too.

I respect your beverage selections. Not your love of potatoes, some nasty brown sauce, and the byproduct of the cheese making process. I will not poutine my mouth!
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I respect your beverage selections. Not your love of potatoes, some nasty brown sauce, and the byproduct of the cheese making process. I will not poutine my mouth!
    Blasphème!

Scandaleux!

Absurde!

(try them with some brisket )

And, yes, I see what you did there.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by kostar View Post
    Welcome to Toronto! You'll love our city - enjoy it take it in, explore and EAT - the restaurants and fusion spots here will have your taste buds a buzzzzz

Will be keeping my eyes on this potential Duke trip to Canada, would love to catch that event.
    If Toronto is on the agenda, leave extra time to get anywhere. The traffic is constant. But with the difference between the US $ and the Canadian $, you'll find ways to compensate.

I heard an interesting rumor that the Blue Devils would be visiting Canada during the pre-season this year.
    User name checks out

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    User name checks out
    Thanks!

If Toronto is on the agenda, leave extra time to get anywhere. The traffic is constant. But with the difference between the US $ and the Canadian $, you'll find ways to compensate.
    How's the metro system? I have used it int he past and thought it was good?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Here's hoping! Another welcome to Toronto.

We should at least do the 10 practices first. If the trip doesn't work out we can always have K replace another body part.

Is this the year Maui is scheduled?

Yes, Maui is scheduled for this year. I am hoping to make it over again! It is a great time!

http://mauiinvitational.com/news/201...x?path=general

hopefully the link works- I don't put those in too many of my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    How's the metro system? I have used it int he past and thought it was good?
    It has "challenges" now. It often operates at capacity, and is experiencing more breakdowns due to aging infrastructure. Almost every weekend some section of the subway is closed for repairs. Buses and streetcars can be OK, depending on where you want to go and time of day.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    College teams are allowed to take foreign trips once every four years. Duke was scheduled to go to the Dominican Republic at the start of this season, but abruptly cancelled just before the trip started. The official reason given was Coach K's knee surgery. But I suspect part of it may also have been waiting to see if the team could get Bagley.

All of which is to say, a trip to Canada would be possible because Duke didn't take the planned trip last year. In fact, the last one I can remember is the 2011 trip to China and Dubai. Anyone remember any others?
    England a few years prior to that. Seem to remember that one of our players mentioned that it was fun flying commercial. His team flight experience in USA limited to charter planes.