Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

WBB: Notre Dame 91, UConn 89, OT

Most exciting game ever? Mebbe so. ND has a five-point lead with 20.1 seconds in regulation. Game over, right? Nope. UConn ties on a three and a steal.

ND has a five-point lead with 44 seconds left in OT. UConn ties it with 15 seconds left on a long three. ND's Arike Ogunbowale makes a jumper near the three-point line with 1.0 seconds left -- ny-LON!
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

A valuable lesson learned... In sports as in life...NOTHING is GUARANTEED!

Quote Originally Posted by OZ View Post
    A valuable lesson learned: I hate basketball.
    April 1

Definitely the greatest women's college basketball game I've seen -- and I didn't tune in until late in the third quarter, when I saw that the score was close. From there, the game went back and forth until late in the fourth quarter, when UConn opened up a 7-point lead that looked like it might be enough to hold up. But Notre Dame fought back and took a 5-point lead with only 21 seconds left, which I (and most everyone in the arena, or so it appeared) thought would be curtains for UConn. Then, incredibly, UConn hit a three-pointer and five seconds later stole an Irish inbounds pass for a floor-length layup that tied the score and sent the game to overtime. A similar sequence of events unfolded in the last minute of overtime. Notre Dame took a 5-point lead with 44 seconds remaining; but UConn hit a jumper, then after two missed free throws by Notre Dame, UConn made a three-pointer to tie the score with 29 seconds remaining. But this time, Notre Dame hit a jumper with 2 seconds left in the game to win it. Truly a remarkable game played at a very high level by both teams.

"guaranteed national championship"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    But this time, Notre Dame hit a jumper with 2 seconds left in the game to win it.
    it was closer to 1. and uconn still ended up with a good look to tie it at the buzzer.

i'd have enjoyed the game if i didn't hate basketball.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Definitely the greatest women's college basketball game I've seen --
    I hope you didn’t miss out on... this.

The mods might want to change this thread to a general WBB Final Four thread, because this just got interesting. (And where's the MBB Final Four thread? It starts in 15 hours.)

Personally, I can't relax and enjoy the women's NCAA Tournament until UConn loses. The sport could be squeaky clean, but something about the inevitability of the Huskies makes it feel fixed to me. I watch competitions, not coronations.

The championship game between Notre Dame and Mississippi State (Sunday, 6pm ET on ESPN) is now appointment viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

i'd have enjoyed the game if i didn't hate basketball.
    LOL. That's the funniest thing you have ever said on the DBR. Can please you repeat the effort?

Quote Originally Posted by OZ View Post
    Valuable lesson to Leonard Hamilton too...DONT QUIT

By the way Miss State will beat Notre Dame for the title....a reverse of last year when MSU took out UCONN and SC beat MSU two days later. Watch and see.

Azura failed to get her transfer championship.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Most exciting game ever? Mebbe so. ND has a five-point lead with 20.1 seconds in regulation. Game over, right? Nope. UConn ties on a three and a steal.

ND has a five-point lead with 44 seconds left in OT. UConn ties it with 15 seconds left on a long three. ND's Arike Ogunbowale makes a jumper near the three-point line with 1.0 seconds left -- ny-LON!
    Okay- UConn fans- made it to the FF. Was this a great season? It is all relative.

Stayed up to watch the game because I didn’t want UConn to win... was not disappointed! There were two stellar games yesterday and I expect one heck of a final!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Azura failed to get her transfer championship.
    And has another year to get denied. That championship was "guaranteed", right?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    A valuable lesson learned: I hate basketball.
    Yeah, I'm sure life is really hard as a fan of the most dominant team in American sports. This loss must sting just as bad as UVA's tournament loss this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure life is really hard as a fan of the most dominant team in American sports. This loss must sting just as bad as UVA's tournament loss this year.
    No need to pile onto a fellow Duke fan. We all know how much season ending losses are painful for a fan base.

I am sure there are many who were as overjoyed by our loss as people were about UCONN.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    No need to pile onto a fellow Duke fan. We all know how much season ending losses are painful for a fan base.

I am sure there are many who were as overjoyed by our loss as people were about UCONN.
    Snarkier than I meant it to come across. Sorry uh no!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    And has another year to get denied. That championship was "guaranteed", right?
    Well, she got her guaranteed Final Four, which hasn't happened at Duke for a long time. And has another year for a championship.
    Duke 5 - UNC 4*

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Oh, I'm sure there were a hundred Duke haters overjoyed by our loss for every one Huskie hater - of which I don't know how many there are. I mean, is that even a thing? Hating Duke is a thing, and has been since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by duke09hms View Post
    Well, she got her guaranteed Final Four, which hasn't happened at Duke for a long time. And has another year for a championship.
    But if she'd stayed at Duke and teamed with Lexie and Becca, she would have had a pretty good chance of making the Final Four then, too. The lure of UConn was the supposedly guaranteed title.