Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Would/Do you judge someone by their handshake?

(Work is kinda slow today and the boss is away... so I get to play!)

I'll admit, I tend to judge people by the firmness of their handshake. If they have a firm grip, great! I will usually put them in the favorable column. If they have a crushing grip....they go in the 'controlling' column, since I kind of feel like they are immediately trying to establish dominance. If they have a weak, sort of wet noodle handshake, I definately question their strength of character, putting them in the flakey/trying to hide something column.

In Louis L'Amour books it was understood that a man's character could be felt from the handshake. I agree totally.

Anyone else out there do the same? Anyone like to differ?

I just try to make sure they aren't hiding a concealed knife or other weapon up their sleeve. Call me an extreme traditionalist =)

Cool

funny

I draw an initial impression but don't put too much stock in it. I often get surprised when people shake hands and can't get a good grip sometimes, so I guess it might come across as kinda limp on occasion. The whole greeting people thing can be awkwards sometimes. When I worked in Brazil, depending upon which part of the country you were in, you either greeted with one or two cheek to cheek kisses. I was always confused and hated getting it wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by knights68 View Post
    (Work is kinda slow today and the boss is away... so I get to play!)

I'll admit, I tend to judge people by the firmness of their handshake. If they have a firm grip, great! I will usually put them in the favorable column. If they have a crushing grip....they go in the 'controlling' column, since I kind of feel like they are immediately trying to establish dominance. If they have a weak, sort of wet noodle handshake, I definately question their strength of character, putting them in the flakey/trying to hide something column.

In Louis L'Amour books it was understood that a man's character could be felt from the handshake. I agree totally.

Anyone else out there do the same? Anyone like to differ?
    Asbolutely...there is nothing worse than a limp handshake.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    Murder is worse.

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    Word. If you can't take pride in your handshake, what can you take pride in?

Quote Originally Posted by tombrady View Post
    Word. If you can't take pride in your handshake, what can you take pride in?
    Yeah, you are right, nothing...

The thing is, handshakes these days are rare. I pretty much only use a formal handshake in business settings, not in more casual environments. So then you've got the issue of "did I use the appropriate variant" as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    The thing is, handshakes these days are rare. I pretty much only use a formal handshake in business settings, not in more casual environments. So then you've got the issue of "did I use the appropriate variant" as well.
    Really? I still feel like handshake is pretty common among younger people (20-somethings) even in social situations -- i.e. arrive at a bar to meet some friends, etc. Sure it might be accompanied by a pat on the back or something, but its a handshake none the less.

More telling is how they greet me -- "how do you do" is far preferable to "nice to meet you".

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    More telling is how they greet me -- "how do you do" is far preferable to "nice to meet you".
    hmmm...you feel "nice to meet you" is just really played out and standard?

Got to go with the firm handshake. I played in a lot of tennis tournaments as a youngster and could not believe the wussy handshakes of my opponents, even though they were girls. Few things I can't stand more.

hmmm...you feel "nice to meet you" is just really played out and standard?
    "Nice to meet you" isn't genuine. You don't know me; you have no idea whether you like me or not.

"How do you do" shows a interest in me and a level of comfort in your own surroundings -- you put the burden on me to prove to you my acquaintance is, in fact, nice for you. It is also a question, to which an answer is then expected and a conversation can perhaps start.

"Nice to meet you" is middle-class. "How do you do" is upper-class. This seems to come naturally: whenever I get to meet successful, well-accomplished people they always greet me with "how to you do".

Really? I still feel like handshake is pretty common among younger people (20-somethings) even in social situations -- i.e. arrive at a bar to meet some friends, etc. Sure it might be accompanied by a pat on the back or something, but its a handshake none the less.
    Full-on handshakes are considered fairly yuppy I think. I have a few friends that I greet that way, but I consider those friends a little more staid. Most people use other forms these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    Full-on handshakes are considered fairly yuppy I think. I have a few friends that I greet that way, but I consider those friends a little more staid. Most people use other forms these days.
    like what

like what
    Anything from dap to pound, partial clenches, whatever. Most of these have been around a long time.

like what
    I hug. Typically with my head aiming over the right shoulder of the recipient. But that's only for people I already know.

To Hurley, so is it too low-class for a woman to offer a firm (guy-type) handshake as opposed to offering her hand in a lady-like, kiss-my-ring type of gesture?
    Last edited by DevilAlumna; 10-25-2007 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Ooh, Jay bilas! There goes my ability to post for the rest of the day...

I try not to make extreme social judgments about people I just met based on next to no data.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Murder is worse.

-EarlJam
    OK...almost nothing...depending on who the victim is.