Joanne Boyle steps down at UVa

For very touching family reasons. Let's hope they are resolved quickly and she's coaching again soon.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.692574de64da

Good Luck Joanne and I give you a lot of credit for putting family first and your career on hold. Here's hoping it gets approved and done rather quickly with out any more issues!!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    WOW...so "the family matter" has been revealed.

Head coach Joanne Boyle led the University of Virginia women's basketball team to the NCAA tournament last week, a feat the Cavaliers had not accomplished since 2010. Then, she stunned everyone by announcing her retirement at age 54, citing only a "family matter."

The real story spilled out to her team in the locker room: She has to take her 6-year-old daughter Ngoty back to Senegal - 4,000 miles away - to finalize her adoption, and the U.S. government won't say when they can come back.

It could be months. Or years.
    https://pilotonline.com/sports/colle...164e83492.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Joanne. A woman we can all admire. Thank you.

I admire Joanne greatly and have never heard anyone say a bad thing about her as a person. But I have to say, if this account is correct, she made real mistakes here. The tourist visa issue reads like a wealthy person attempting to skirt rules. And if she didn’t understand she would have to go back, that’s on her. My guess is that she got poor advice or no advice initially and let her heart rule over her head when she saw a poor, malnourished child whom she wanted to help. Now she has to make things right, and it may be traumatic for both of them.

I also question the decision to publicize her daughter’s story - in my mind, that should have been left for Ngoty to decide when she was older, and now she’s lost control of it forever.

I have no doubt that Joanne went into the process with the best of intentions. I hope everything works out for her and her daughter.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...-daughter-home

This saga has finally reached a happy ending.

Boyle was finally able to bring her adopted daughter back to the US and she became a citizen on August 30th.

Much less important but the article also mentions that Boyle will not return to coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by DangerDevil View Post
    https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...-daughter-home

This saga has finally reached a happy ending.

Boyle was finally able to bring her adopted daughter back to the US and she became a citizen on August 30th.

Much less important but the article also mentions that Boyle will not return to coaching.
    Thank you for the update. A good story to start the day.

Great story to wake up to. Thanks.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

lives near a number of big white buildings
    Great news !
    The good result is all that matters.

I worked with Joanne as a groundskeeper on the Duke Golf Course in the summer of 1982. We mowed under the ropes, shoveled sand and laid sod from 6am-2:30pm five days a week - highly unglamorous work, particularly for her, since she was a scholarship athlete. She's a lovely person, then and now.