Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Who's Leaving - Duke 2018

Since the Kansas game post-game thread has a lot of OAD stuff, I thought I would start a thread on whose leaving.

Grayson for sure.

I would assume Wendell and Marvin. NBADraft.net has them 2 and 7. They also look like NBA players to me.

Travon and Gary are projected for the first round. Personally I think they both are not ready.

Marquez is not listed. I think he will be a good NBA player someday. Hope he comes back.

Its silly to me for a player to leave for the NBA because he will not much playing time at Duke next year.

SoCa;
    Last edited by Dev11; 04-04-2018 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Title, for clarity

I would assume Trevon is more likely to go than Gary. His game is more suited to the pros, he’s going to measure well at the combine, and he just seems like a player who was planning to leave after a year regardless. I would love to have him back but I am not counting on it.

I’m still holding out hope that Gary comes back. I think he was projected in the 40’s in a recent mock, and while he has good size he does not have elite athleticism and is such a streaky shooter. He is almost exclusively a spot up shooter, he hasn’t developed a catch and shoot, he has limited handles, and he is extremely poor finishing at the rim. He also gets very few assists. Basically I think he has a lot to work on.

Bolden made great strides late in the season and would have the post to himself after sharing it with two future lottery picks. I could see him putting his name in and going through the evaluation process, and once a player does that then all bets are off.

Here is a list of almost every mock draft. Gary and Trevon are not in every one in the first round. So the big questions is, if neither is told they will be drafted in the first round, will they go?

http://www.letsgoredskins.com/NBAMocks.htm

Well here’s the conundrum of recruiting multiple top 10 prospects year after year:

If Duval and Trent stay next year, do they even start?

Gary maybe would, but Trey Jones is our starting PG next year, Duval or no Duval.

And that’s not a knock on Duval and Trent - it’s just that next years guys are that good.

I actually think Gary would be a huge weapon for us next year, in the JJ Redick 2004 mode, as outside shooting will be hard to find outside of AOC.

In a perfect world, Duval realizes he needs more seasoning and stays two more years while Trent stays next year to work on his handle, defense, and passing.

But the reality is both are likely gone, imo.

Sorry, but I guess I am grumpy today. (Why would that be?)

You shoudln't title the thread or your post, "Whose Leaving." It's "Who Is Leaving?" or "Who's Leaving?"
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Why does everyone assume Jones is better than Duval? A year ago we were salivating over Duval as being the point guard of our dreams, the missing piece that we didn’t have the previous season. We drooled over his mix tapes and imagined him being the next guy to lead us to a title.

Yup, when you recruit 4 top 10 players for next year, you are essential pushing players out the door even if they might benefit from coming back. That option is more or less removed from Trent or Duval regardless of their draft status. Even if they are 2nd rounders, they pretty much have to go.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post
    Well here’s the conundrum of recruiting multiple top 10 prospects year after year:

Gary maybe would, but Trey Jones is our starting PG next year, Duval or no Duval.

And that’s not a knock on Duval and Trent - it’s just that next years guys are that good.

I actually think Gary would be a huge weapon for us next year, in the JJ Redick 2004 mode, as outside shooting will be hard to find outside of AOC.

In a perfect world, Duval realizes he needs more seasoning and stays two more years while Trent stays next year to work on his handle, defense, and passing.

My dream staring lineup for next year is Jones, Trent, Barrett, Reddish, Zion - I share that not to get a jump on the 2019 lineup/minutes thread, but to say that I think next year’s roster has the positional flexibility to find a place for GT. I think Duval is gone, so I’m not worried about finding a spot for him. But I have the slightest hope that Gary does decide to return, because I think he’d be the leader on next year’s team.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post

I think the only real question mark here is Bolden. The four freshmen are a sure thing to bolt. Marques is an interesting case though. He's had a few injury issues in his two years and his play has been very limited along with that. I also think K has never felt comfortable giving him extended minutes for a variety of reasons, one of which is that K will habitually keep is rotation short and ride his starters to the bitter end. So Marques has occasionally shown some decent moves yet also has looked a little over matched at times. He may just decide on giving it a go anyways just by virtue of being a 6-11 guy who got some hype out of high school and played for Duke. 2 years ago, I'm sure he thought he would be gone by this point. It's a risk for him either way. Go now and get picked up in the 2nd round working the D league for a few years trying to make a team... OR... come back and risk injury thereby taking him off the draft boards once again as a junior... OR... come back and be the lone focal point in the post for a team loaded with perimeter guys, show effectiveness on both ends, and impress just enough scouts to get his name somewhere near the 1st round board.

I think Duke will be a much better team with Marques in the post next season. He's not going to be a major focal point in the offense but he'll get a ton of burn and provide some desperately needed rebounding. Without him, Duke will basically be like the '13-'14 team that is forced to use a small forward at center. We'd put some points on the board but defense would be a huge struggle.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    Since the Kansas game post-game thread has a lot of OAD stuff, I thought I would start a thread on whose leaving.

Grayson for sure.

I would assume Wendell and Marvin. NBADraft.net has them 2 and 7. They also look like NBA players to me.

Travon and Gary are projected for the first round. Personally I think they both are not ready.

Marquez is not listed. I think he will be a good NBA player someday. Hope he comes back.

Its silly to me for a player to leave for the NBA because he will not much playing time at Duke next year.

SoCa;
    I would bet a lot of money that there will be no “Travon” or “Marquez” on next year’s roster.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Sorry, but I guess I am grumpy today. (Why would that be?)

You shoudln't title the thread or your post, "Whose Leaving." It's "Who Is Leaving?" or "Who's Leaving?"
    Thanks

I should not post after self medicating to get over tough losses.

SoCal

Everyone

people hem and haw every year that some people might come back...but all 5 starters are leaving. don't set yourselves up for disappointment. It's nice to think in dream worlds where any of those guys come back...but they're gone.

I wish they WOULD stay...but they won't.
    1200. DDMF.

Of the starters, I think only Gary is possibly coming back. But it wouldn't be surprising at all if the entire starting lineup leaves for the NBA. Trevon seems like a Dejounte Murray type player, and should get drafted late first round based on his incredible measurables. I think Gary would go early in the 2nd round, like Frank Jackson. I believe Bolden will return. He's showed a lot of improvement since his freshman year, but I think he needs one more year.

If Gary comes back, he's starting and he's probably a captain. I would not be surprised at all if we went with a Zion/Cam/Trent/Barrett/Jones starting lineup. That squad would run and gun like nothing we've ever seen on a Duke team before.

If Gary leaves, We would be more of a half court team with Bolden at center. Personally, I'm not sure if Bolden will be ready for 30+ minutes a game next year, but if he is, he'll be a monster.
    Last edited by kAzE; 03-25-2018 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    I think the only real question mark here is Bolden. The four freshmen are a sure thing to bolt. Marques is an interesting case though. He's had a few injury issues in his two years and his play has been very limited along with that. I also think K has never felt comfortable giving him extended minutes for a variety of reasons, one of which is that K will habitually keep is rotation short and ride his starters to the bitter end. So Marques has occasionally shown some decent moves yet also has looked a little over matched at times. He may just decide on giving it a go anyways just by virtue of being a 6-11 guy who got some hype out of high school and played for Duke. 2 years ago, I'm sure he thought he would be gone by this point. It's a risk for him either way. Go now and get picked up in the 2nd round working the D league for a few years trying to make a team... OR... come back and risk injury thereby taking him off the draft boards once again as a junior... OR... come back and be the lone focal point in the post for a team loaded with perimeter guys, show effectiveness on both ends, and impress just enough scouts to get his name somewhere near the 1st round board.

I think Duke will be a much better team with Marques in the post next season. He's not going to be a major focal point in the offense but he'll get a ton of burn and provide some desperately needed rebounding. Without him, Duke will basically be like the '13-'14 team that is forced to use a small forward at center. We'd put some points on the board but defense would be a huge struggle.
    No doubt about Bolden’s impact next year. Potentially huge for him.

Much like MP2 returning for his Senior year, I hope Marques sees how he can really better position his pro career by being more of a focal point next year.

... And your mention of the playing style of the 2014 squad made me shutter.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Why does everyone assume Jones is better than Duval? A year ago we were salivating over Duval as being the point guard of our dreams, the missing piece that we didn’t have the previous season. We drooled over his mix tapes and imagined him being the next guy to lead us to a title.
    As someone who thought Duval was pretty bad this year... I completely agree. I think he'd be really good (like, 1st team ACC type of good) as a sophomore if he came back. His weaknesses are things that would have chances for large improvement during an offseason.

I may end up feeling sorry for Jones. The grumpy mob on this forum who expects perfection may rip him to shreds..
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Personally, I think if Tre Duval inexplicably decided to come back, he would start over Tre Jones, but both would play a lot. I think Jones looks like a slightly better decision maker coming in as a freshman, but Duval really improved towards the end of the year, and an off season would probably give him a huge lead over the younger Jones. He's also just in a different class than Jones as an athlete. He can do things that Tre just can't physically do.

If anybody's wondering, Tre Jones is also somewhat of a non-shooter from deep, at least in high school. He is a very good free throw shooter (80.1% career), but is 32.5% from 3 over his 4 years in high school. His senior year was his worst from 3. He shot 29 for 108 (26.9%) Hopefully his shot translates better to the college game. It would be nice to have a point guard capable of hitting 3s.
    Last edited by kAzE; 03-26-2018 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Personally, I think if Tre Duval inexplicably decided to come back, he would start over Tre Jones, but both would play a lot. I think Jones looks like a slightly better decision maker coming in as a freshman, but Duval really improved towards the end of the year, and an off season would probably give him a huge lead over the younger Jones. He's also just in a different class than Jones as an athlete. He can do things that Tre just can't physically do.

If anybody's wondering, Tre Jones is also somewhat of a non-shooter from deep, at least in high school. I think his career 3 point percentage is in the 20s.
    Per Apple Valley, he’s a career 32.5% 3pt shooter (just high school, not travel) and an 80% ft shooter.

He’s a much better shooter than Duval.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieTiger View Post
    Per Apple Valley, he’s a career 32.5% 3pt shooter (just high school, not travel) and an 80% ft shooter.

He’s a much better shooter than Duval.
    I looked up his stats and edited my post

I still think Duval would be a no brainer to start between the 2. It wouldn't be close, IMO. You know what they always say: "The best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores."

But this is pointless. Duval is going pro.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post

If anybody's wondering, Tre Jones is also somewhat of a non-shooter from deep, at least in high school. He is a very good free throw shooter (80.1% career), but is 32.5% from 3 over his 4 years in high school. His senior year was his worst from 3. He shot 29 for 108 (26.9%) Hopefully his shot translates better to the college game. It would be nice to have a point guard capable of hitting 3s.
    In HS he always has the ball in his hands and is shooting them off the dribble, which is the least accurate way to shoot. Nobody is kicking it out to him to catch and shoot, not to mention he has to force it up a bunch because he's the best scoring option on the team. Top HS guards all generally get a big bump in 3 pt accuracy transitioning to college because they take much better shots in college.