Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke vs Kansas NCAAT E8 (3/25 5:05pm CBS ) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

We will need to shoot a good deal better than we did today to beat the Jayhawks. I believe our defense will be more effective than it was during the first 15 minutes against Syracuse. The key to winning this game will be turnovers and not letting Kansas score in transition. I think our zone has a good chance to really handcuff them in the hslfcourt. Clemson waited too long to begin playing elite basketball and it cost them the game.we don't want to give the Jayhawks and their fans an early momentum, a stifling initial defensive effort could really help to set tMBB: Duke vs Syracuse NCAAT S16 (3/23 9:37) Pre-Game and In-Game Threadhe tone for what will likely be a heated contest.

Just from a quick look at KenPom, Kansas has the worst defensive efficiency (46) of any team left in the Elite 8. Duke is still top 10 (9 to be exact). I expect a much more up and down game than today. As long as we force them to shoot contested 3s, I don’t think they can slow us down in the post (even with Azuibuke). I think we grind them down late but I certainly hope we shoot a lot better on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Dub View Post
    Just from a quick look at KenPom, Kansas has the worst defensive efficiency (46) of any team left in the Elite 8. Duke is still top 10 (9 to be exact). I expect a much more up and down game than today. As long as we force them to shoot contested 3s, I don’t think they can slow us down in the post (even with Azuibuke). I think we grind them down late but I certainly hope we shoot a lot better on Sunday.
    Yes, our defense dropped a spot, but it looks like our offense went up a tick from No.3 to No.2. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by duke4ever19 View Post
    Yes, our defense dropped a spot, but it looks like our offense went up a tick from No.3 to No.2. Interesting.
    most of that was purdue dropping. but you're right, on an absolute scale, we performed slightly better than expected.
    1200. DDMF.

The key to this game will be whether Mykhailiuk and Newman can make plays from the high post. They're the two most logical candidates to operate in the middle of the zone and if we can shut that down, I think KU will have a tough time bombing threes over the defense. Since we've gone zone full time opponents are shooting 26.5% from 3 - Kansas hasn't shot worse than 35% in the last 10 games. I think if we can keep them in the 30s percentage wise we should be in good shape.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

This is the third straight Elite 8 for Kansas.

2016: 1 seed Kansas loses to 2 seed Villanova (game is in Louisville).
    2017: 1 seed Kansas loses to 3 seed Oregon (game is in Kansas City).
    2018: 1 seed Kansas will face 2 seed Duke (game is in Omaha).

As others have pointed out, semi-home games with friendly crowds have not been much of an advantage in this tournament. Michigan State lost in Detroit. UNC lost in Charlotte. Kentucky lost in Atlanta.

While I'm talking history, there sure is something familiar about narrowly beating Clemson and facing Duke two days later.

reversaloffortune.jpg

Connecticut, 1990. The film Reversal of Fortune also came out that year.

Also, Mykhailiuk vs. either Carter or Bagley should be a big mismatch for us on the offensive end. Would love to exploit that, including to get Svi in foul trouble - they really don't have a good replacement for him. Extended Jayhawk minutes with both Azubuike and De Sousa on the court would be great for us.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Also, Mykhailiuk vs. either Carter or Bagley should be a big mismatch for us on the offensive end. Would love to exploit that, including to get Svi in foul trouble - they really don't have a good replacement for him. Extended Jayhawk minutes with both Azubuike and De Sousa on the court would be great for us.
    de Sousa played some pretty dang good D tonight, at least while I dropped in on that game. i haven't watched much KU this year, do you think they have a problem when they put those two on the floor at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    de Sousa played some pretty dang good D tonight, at least while I dropped in on that game. i haven't watched much KU this year, do you think they have a problem when they put those two on the floor at the same time?
    They've played almost no time together this year. They'll probably go to Lightfoot alongside Azubuike if they think they need two bigs. But more broadly, KU has been dangerous this year when they've stuck a bunch of shooters on the floor and spread things out. Anything to reduce the number of three point shooters is an advantage to us.

Just wanted to congratulate our guys on making the Final Four. Duke, Kansas, Villanova, and Texas Tech were powerhouses this season and make up a totally worthy Final Four at the end of the year, and I can't really complain too much about who wins it or losing a close game to any of these teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Just wanted to congratulate our guys on making the Final Four. Duke, Kansas, Villanova, and Texas Tech were powerhouses this season and make up a totally worthy Final Four at the end of the year, and I can't really complain too much about who wins it or losing a close game to any of these teams.

Nvm I am still drunk. That totally went over my head.

I expect Duval to play better against a more traditional D. Duke is a difficult matchup for any team but this will be about guard play. If the guards play well - Duke should win this but it will be a battle. Kansas is a solid team and if the make up the final 8 is any indication part of tough conference.

Looks like Duke has opened as a 3.5 pt. favorite in Las Vegas.

There is a lot that worries me about this game. One thing is the experience of the Kansas back court. Devonte' Graham is a 23 year old senior. Mykhailiuk is also a senior with a lot of experience (including in Europe). I think we can handle Newman and Azubuike, but Graham and Mykhailiuk worry me. And Vick, a junior, is no slouch either.

Kansas' ability to shoot 3's over our zone also worries me. Just looking at the stat sheet, it appears as though the Kansas starters are pretty comfortable back there. With Azubuike and DeSousa inside, our perimeter defense is going to have to ensure the Kansas shooters don't go off.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    If it's any consolation, I got this one.

this is the marquee matchup that everyone has been waiting for....I'm hoping we can get into a better scoring rhythm than the clunky game we had last night...

kansas aint no joke...we'd better be ready...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Looks like Duke has opened as a 3.5 pt. favorite in Las Vegas.

There is a lot that worries me about this game. One thing is the experience of the Kansas back court. Devonte' Graham is a 23 year old senior. Mykhailiuk is also a senior with a lot of experience (including in Europe). I think we can handle Newman and Azubuike, but Graham and Mykhailiuk worry me. And Vick, a junior, is no slouch either.

Kansas' ability to shoot 3's over our zone also worries me. Just looking at the stat sheet, it appears as though the Kansas starters are pretty comfortable back there. With Azubuike and DeSousa inside, our perimeter defense is going to have to ensure the Kansas shooters don't go off.
    Probably the best set of players Duke has faced all year. Kansas goes as Graham goes. Thr guard play will determine this one. Need the good Duval tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    Clemson waited too long to begin playing elite basketball and it cost them the game.
    Your statement sums up my thoughts exactly. The game was decided more by Clemson sleep walking the first 30 minutes than Kansas being dominant.

Duke must be aggressive on defense and strong with the ball on offense for 40 minutes. Kansas is a talented team so it will take our best effort to win. This is a classic Elite Eight showdown -- #1 versus #2 with the Final Four on the line.
    Bob Green

Looking forward to TexHawk’s take...

This will be the 3rd game this season that Kansas has gotten to play a Boeheim-inspired zone, and I remember watching large chunks of of the previous two games back in December.

On Dec 2, KU played Syracuse itself in Miami (as part of one of those non-conference events) and beat the Orange soundly 76-60. Lagerald Vick was mostly used at the FT line area, and my impression was Cuse's zone collapsed towards him way too much, which opened up other opportunities. Devonte' Graham in particular went nuts from outside, hitting 7 threes including a couple deep bombs on the way to 35 points. (But the other story of the game was that Cuse's offense was a disaster, committing 17 turnovers and shooting 6-27 from three).

A few days later, on Dec 6 in Kansas City, KU played Washington which is coached by former longtime Boeheim assistant Mike Hopkins. The Huskies upset KU 74-65. Hopkins had seen on film that Cuse reacted way too strongly towards Vick, and Hopkins decided instead to do the complete opposite: not guard Vick in there, focus on KU's other players (particularly Graham), and allow Vick to try to beat the Huskies by himself. Vick hit 12 shots out of a team-high 21 attempts (nobody else attempted more than 6 shots), but Graham was held to three points.