Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1. #1

    Transfers/Grad Transfers 2018/2019

    Anybody have any info on guys we might take a look at? I think it would be nice to bring in another body to bang down low.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukebasketball2020 View Post
    Anybody have any info on guys we might take a look at? I think it would be nice to bring in another body to bang down low.
    We've never brought in a grad transfer, and I don't expect that to start now.

    We're also really selective with regular transfers, too; I believe we can still count on one hand the number of those we've accepted in Coach K's close to 40 year career at Duke. With high school recruiting rolling like it is, I think we'll take our chances with getting what we need in the 2019 high school class (the relevant class since, of course, regular transfers have to sit out a year).

    We are looking at EJ Montgomery in the 2018 high school class. If we bring in another big, it'll probably be him.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukebasketball2020 View Post
    I think it would be nice to bring in another body to bang down low.
    Zion, Javin, and Bolden are not enough? Vrank (C) and White/Robinson (PF) would be available too. How many bigs do you think we need?

    Pretty close to a zero percent chance Duke takes a grad transfer this year. The roster is full and the competition for minutes will be intense. That's not the kind of situation grad transfers tend to be seeking.
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukebasketball2020 View Post
    Anybody have any info on guys we might take a look at? I think it would be nice to bring in another body to bang down low.
    Seriously? We have a formidable frontline next year (Bolden, DeLaurier, and Zion will play the majority of the 4/5. I expect Reddish will play some 4 when Coach K wants to go small, fast, and trigger-happy).

    Duke doesn't need transfers for the next year. Unless Bolden or DeLaurier unexpectedly leave.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

    President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Towson, MD
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    We've never brought in a grad transfer, and I don't expect that to start now.

    We're also really selective with regular transfers, too; I believe we can still count on one hand the number of those we've accepted in Coach K's close to 40 year career at Duke. With high school recruiting rolling like it is, I think we'll take our chances with getting what we need in the 2019 high school class (the relevant class since, of course, regular transfers have to sit out a year).

    We are looking at EJ Montgomery in the 2018 high school class. If we bring in another big, it'll probably be him.
    Just because Duke has never brought a grad transfer in, doesn't mean K won't do it. If there's a player in the right situation academically that would help the team, a grad transfer could theoretically happen. K had never had a team play mostly zone until this year, right? There's a first time for everything.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Oriole Way View Post
    Just because Duke has never brought a grad transfer in, doesn't mean K won't do it. If there's a player in the right situation academically that would help the team, a grad transfer could theoretically happen. K had never had a team play mostly zone until this year, right? There's a first time for everything.
    Well, I didn't say it was impossible, did I? I just said since it has never happened before, I don't expect it to happen.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    We currently have 10 recruited scholarship players scheduled to play next year, excluding Duval and Trent (note: that ten doesn't include the nonrecruited Robinson, who could be awarded a scholarship again if we don't use all of them on recruits):
    Barrett
    Bolden
    DeLaurier
    Goldwire
    Jones
    O'Connell
    Reddish
    Vrankovic
    White
    Williamson

    That includes a complete rotation in the frontcourt with Williamson, Bolden, and DeLaurier, with White and Vrankovic available as needed. And a fairly full backcourt, with Jones, Barrett, Reddish, and O'Connell, with Goldwire there if needed. And we're still recruiting another big in the freshman class (Montgomery).

    Honestly, unless we get surprise bad news from Bolden or DeLaurier, I can't see a need in the frontcourt, much less a big that would look at Duke's frontcourt situation and say "yeah, I'd like to use my grad transfer to go there because I see minutes available". Similar story on the perimeter.

    There have been years in which we could have used a grad transfer big (we did kick the tires in the summer of 2013 with Tarik Black, but that didn't work out). This coming year doesn't seem to be one of them.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Quote Originally Posted by Oriole Way View Post
    Just because Duke has never brought a grad transfer in, doesn't mean K won't do it. If there's a player in the right situation academically that would help the team, a grad transfer could theoretically happen. K had never had a team play mostly zone until this year, right? There's a first time for everything.
    Agreed. It just ain't gonna happen this year.

    Let's assume that the starting 5 is gone (I know Trent is debatable, but let's assume he bolts). Let's assume Bolden and DeLaurier stay (a smart assumption). Let's assume EJ Monty is 50/50. Duke's rotation looks like the following (italics mean we're likely to see them there at some point even if it's not their primary responsibility. Underline is not yet signed with Duke):

    PG: Tyus Jones 2.0, Jordan Goldwire, RJ Barrett, Cameron Reddish
    SG: RJ Barrett, Alex O'Connell
    SF: Cameron Reddish, RJ Barrett
    PF: Zion Williamson, Javin DeLaurier, Cameron Reddish
    C: Marques Bolden, Javin DeLaurier, EJ Monty

    Basically, we have at least 2 players who can play any of the positions, and potentially 5 players at the 4/5. The "shallowest" position is SG, but you can put Cameron Reddish there as well.

    If this year's team screams, "Position-based basketball", next year screams, "flexibility".
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

    President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

  9. #9
    I agree with the above. No minutes available, unless K just wants to bring in some beef for practice time.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North of Durham

    Makai Mason

    Out of curiosity, I did a check on Makai Mason from Yale. If you recall, he was a star on their 2016 team that upset Baylor then lost to Duke in the Tournament. He sat out the 16-17 season (his junior year) due to a foot injury, and since the Ivy League does not allow redshirts, he is essentially being forced to do a grad transfer if he wants to have an additional year to play. Very early in the process he committed to doing his grad transfer at Baylor next year. Before he committed to Baylor there was some gossip that he would be a good fit for Duke (this was also well before we signed our current recruiting class).

    This year, his senior season at Yale, he reinjured his left foot and was out for the whole year, came back in mid-February for Yale's game at Harvard, and sat out the rest of the year. Hopefully he will be healthy enough to play next year. With all of the talent we have coming in we obviously do not need him, but with his talent and history of foot injuries, he likely would have fit in very nicely...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    New York, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    We currently have 10 recruited scholarship players scheduled to play next year, excluding Duval and Trent (note: that ten doesn't include the nonrecruited Robinson, who could be awarded a scholarship again if we don't use all of them on recruits):
    Barrett
    Bolden
    DeLaurier
    Goldwire
    Jones
    O'Connell
    Reddish
    Vrankovic
    White
    Williamson
    It's a small nit, and probably an opinion at that, but given how K has used him this year, I suspect that Justin Robinson's scholarship is no longer negotiable going forward. My assumption, nothing in stone.

    - Chillin

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    It's a small nit, and probably an opinion at that, but given how K has used him this year, I suspect that Justin Robinson's scholarship is no longer negotiable going forward. My assumption, nothing in stone.

    - Chillin
    Good thing his dad might have some $$ laying around.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    It's a small nit, and probably an opinion at that, but given how K has used him this year, I suspect that Justin Robinson's scholarship is no longer negotiable going forward. My assumption, nothing in stone.

    - Chillin
    Given how he has played this year, I would certainly like to see him keep his scholarship. I think he has earned it. It would definitely be disappointing to have his scholarship pulled for a one year grad transfer who won't likely see that much playing time next year. That being said, scholarships are technically a one year deal and the coaches/school have the ability to yank it if the want. Don't see it happening though (at least I hope not).

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Seriously? We have a formidable frontline next year (Bolden, DeLaurier, and Zion will play the majority of the 4/5. I expect Reddish will play some 4 when Coach K wants to go small, fast, and trigger-happy).

    Duke doesn't need transfers for the next year. Unless Bolden or DeLaurier unexpectedly leave.
    With Bolden, there still is a chance he will be in the NBA sites. His size, length and athleticism are something the NBA notices. Wouldn't hurt to have another big just in case and Vrank hasn't shown he can handle a starter role.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    With Bolden, there still is a chance he will be in the NBA sites. His size, length and athleticism are something the NBA notices. Wouldn't hurt to have another big just in case and Vrank hasn't shown he can handle a starter role.
    I don't think Vrank starting is ever in the cards. No, it's not the next Brian Zoubek.

    As for Bolden, he can bounce. But then DeLaurier likely starts at the 5. That also makes it more enticing for EJ Monty to come on board. And in the super worst case that Bolden leaves AND EJ don't come, you have Jones-Barrett-Reddish-Zion-DeLaurier with AOC and White as backups.

    I'm not worried about next year's body count.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

    President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    With Bolden, there still is a chance he will be in the NBA sites. His size, length and athleticism are something the NBA notices. Wouldn't hurt to have another big just in case and Vrank hasn't shown he can handle a starter role.
    Not this year. The draft is loaded with big men, and as hard as this is to believe, the NBA has too many centers because of the league's continuing move towards smallball.

    Various relevant links:

    https://www.theringer.com/2016/12/20...n-1a654d0b1dec

    https://www.goldenstateofmind.com/20...o-many-centers

    https://sircharlesincharge.com/2017/...sell-buy-2017/

    https://www.sbnation.com/2017/7/17/1...ad-free-agents

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I don't think Vrank starting is ever in the cards. No, it's not the next Brian Zoubek.

    As for Bolden, he can bounce. But then DeLaurier likely starts at the 5. That also makes it more enticing for EJ Monty to come on board. And in the super worst case that Bolden leaves AND EJ don't come, you have Jones-Barrett-Reddish-Zion-DeLaurier with AOC and White as backups.

    I'm not worried about next year's body count.
    I understand this post is riddled with grammatical mistakes. Wow...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

    President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Not this year. The draft is loaded with big men, and as hard as this is to believe, the NBA has too many centers because of the league's continuing move towards smallball.

    Various relevant links:

    https://www.theringer.com/2016/12/20...n-1a654d0b1dec

    https://www.goldenstateofmind.com/20...o-many-centers

    https://sircharlesincharge.com/2017/...sell-buy-2017/

    https://www.sbnation.com/2017/7/17/1...ad-free-agents
    Agreed. You need to be something of an elite rim runner and defensive force like a Clint Capela and Deandre Jordan, or a big who can shoot the 3. So far, Marques is neither. I really like him and hope he stays, gets healthy, and adds the necessary elements to his game to have a nice career as a pro.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Duke pursued Tarik Black as a grad-student option a few years ago when he was leaving Memphis. Black got an offer and made a visit, before selecting Kansas.

    Duke would have pursued a grad-student option PG after the 2015 season, had Thornton not re-classed.

    David Cutcliffe and Joanne P. McCallie had their first grad-student transfers this academic year and sports like baseball and soccer have had multiple grad-student transfers over the years.

    So, I wouldn't put too much weight in the K's-never-done-it-before argument. He actually has tried to do it before.

    Just not successfully. But there's no program or institutional bias against this. If the need is there, Duke would look very hard. Until we know for sure what Bolden and Montgomery are going to do, we don't know if that need will arise.

    But if DeLaurier and Vrankovic are the only options at the 5, I rather suspect that would constitute a need.

    And Duke absolutely would pull Justin Robinson's scholarship should the need arise. He knew that going in. It would not be a problem.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Brooklet, GA
    O'Connell's brother Shawn just announced that he is leaving Georgia Southern and seeking a grad transfer. I don't think he'll get a scholly from Duke, but I do wonder if we'll see him as a walk on.

Similar Threads

  1. Transfers out?
    By hackysack123 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-30-2016, 05:32 PM
  2. What's with all the transfers?
    By BuschDevil in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 04-19-2012, 09:38 AM
  3. Curry and Transfers
    By RockyMtDevil in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-21-2012, 09:26 AM
  4. ACC transfers
    By Olympic Fan in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-03-2012, 04:56 PM
  5. Transfers?
    By HandofHenderson in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-16-2007, 03:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •