Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Quinn-sanity!

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Yeah, I always liked Seth...good player, over shadowed of course...

Also, Quinn zero points tonight at half...
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong as I don't pay much attention to NBA until playoffs start. Sportscenter had a guy on speculating that Warriors will throw this game intentionally because they really don't want OKC to fall to 8 seed (or whatever seed they would play in first round) because Curry might still be out. And Warriors don't need to win this game for their playoff seeding, but OKC does. The guy said Warriors can't say that, but they absolutely know it.

Quinn doing ok - 2 out of 4 from 3; 4 assists; 2 rebounds; 0 turnovers; 8 points so far

Quinn ices game at the line. 12&6 not bad but Westbrook dropped 44&16

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    Quinn ices game at the line. 12&6 not bad but Westbrook dropped 44&16
    Well, Klay Thompson always guards the best player - his D is great. Cook was on the other guard. But D is really his Achilles' heel in the NBA. Hopefully he works a lot on that in the offseason.

Another double figure game for our boy, on 4-6 shooting (2-4 from 3), plus 6 assists in a Warrior game-high 37 minutes (Shaun Livingston, normally GSW's backup PG, did not play due to "personal reasons"). Cook also played better than Nick Young, who I think GSW would cut if they activate Cook.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    Well, Klay Thompson always guards the best player - his D is great. Cook was on the other guard. But D is really his Achilles' heel in the NBA. Hopefully he works a lot on that in the offseason.

Another double figure game for our boy, on 4-6 shooting (2-4 from 3), plus 6 assists in a Warrior game-high 37 minutes (Shaun Livingston, normally GSW's backup PG, did not play due to "personal reasons"). Cook also played better than Nick Young, who I think GSW would cut if they activate Cook.
    I don’t know anything about basketball but in regards Quinn’s D I really like his energy and intensity!
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Some more terrific Quinn news...

Point guard Quinn Cook’s recent emergence with the Warriors has overshadowed a special honor: He is the first player in the 17-year history of the G League (formerly the Development League) to shoot 50 percent from the field, 40 percent from three-point range and 90 percent from the foul line in a season.

One of Golden State’s two players on a two-way contract, Cook, 25, averaged a team-high 25.3 points on 52.4 percent shooting from the field, 43.7 percent from three-point range and 95 percent from the foul line in 29 games.

https://www.sfgate.com/warriors/amp/...e-12803347.php

And this!

“Patrick McCaw, Nick Young, Omri Casspi, Shaun Livingston, and the merry band of the revolving door of centers that include Kevon Looney, Zaza Pachulia, David West, and JaVale McGee. I just about named the entire Warriors roster outside of the Core Four and Andre Iguodala and I’m still missing the most important person this postseason. Quinn Cook was nowhere no anyone’s radar before the season started and with 5 games left in the regular season, he’s played himself into a position where the Warriors would be in relatively steep trouble not in the first round but throughout the entire postseason without his presence.”

http://www.warriorsworld.net/2018/04...ason-x-factor/

The media and fans are going gaga over Cook, which is great. His offensive play has been stellar, and in last night's victory he helped the Dubs win a game against an actual playoff team (previously doing so against the Kings, Suns, Hawks, etc. is nice, but let's face it - those teams suck. His numbers were ok against the Pacers, Bucks, Spurs, etc, but GSW lost those games. So beating the Thunder in OKC was a much bigger deal). Unless Cook nose dives, I think we can expect to see lots of positive pub. But the key item is still this - who will GSW cut to sign Cook for the playoffs? Or will they even do this? It's easy for sportsyak to say he needs to stay, but it's up to management and their feeling of the locker room, contracts and potential from April to June that matters. So I'm watching the injury report/DNPs along with an eye on the salaries/contracts to see if someone comes into focus. It's about another week until this will be set.

But make no mistake - barring something catastrophic, he will be signed to a guaranteed contract next season with somebody. He's played his last game in the G-League.

It seems like they have an awful lot of reserve centers on the bench, it would seem to me it has to be one of those guys if it happens but I have no idea who they would be willing to cut ties with. Obviously there is an eye to future seasons in terms of cutting a guy under contract, but turning on the tunnel vision and looking solely at this year's playoffs it would see much more important to have solid options at PG (of course Livingston is also one) should Curry miss more time than expected than to have umpteen backup caliber Centers for a team that spends portions of games going small anyway.

The media and fans are going gaga over Cook, which is great. His offensive play has been stellar, and in last night's victory he helped the Dubs win a game against an actual playoff team (previously doing so against the Kings, Suns, Hawks, etc. is nice, but let's face it - those teams suck. His numbers were ok against the Pacers, Bucks, Spurs, etc, but GSW lost those games. So beating the Thunder in OKC was a much bigger deal). Unless Cook nose dives, I think we can expect to see lots of positive pub. But the key item is still this - who will GSW cut to sign Cook for the playoffs? Or will they even do this? It's easy for sportsyak to say he needs to stay, but it's up to management and their feeling of the locker room, contracts and potential from April to June that matters. So I'm watching the injury report/DNPs along with an eye on the salaries/contracts to see if someone comes into focus. It's about another week until this will be set.

But make no mistake - barring something catastrophic, he will be signed to a guaranteed contract next season with somebody. He's played his last game in the G-League.
    Really happy to see this. Couldn’t be happening to a better guy. He definitely earned it. You would think that GS, not knowing how dependable Curry is going to be, would want the extra insurance in the playoffs...

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    It seems like they have an awful lot of reserve centers on the bench, it would seem to me it has to be one of those guys if it happens but I have no idea who they would be willing to cut ties with. Obviously there is an eye to future seasons in terms of cutting a guy under contract, but turning on the tunnel vision and looking solely at this year's playoffs it would see much more important to have solid options at PG (of course Livingston is also one) should Curry miss more time than expected than to have umpteen backup caliber Centers for a team that spends portions of games going small anyway.
    GSW uses a center-by-committee approach. They each have their strengths and weaknesses, and Coach Steve Kerr plays each one depending on the matchup. And even during a game, it's rare to see any 5 get 20+ minutes. It's usually shared between bigs. So cutting one means losing a part of the plan. That's why I keep focusing on Nick Young as the one who gets cut - assuming McCaw is back for the playoffs.

And one other factor - Cook may want to hold out and not sign if the deal from GSW isn't good enough. He may want a multi-year guaranteed contract because some other PG-needy team may pay him that, especially if Quinn-sanity keeps him in the press. GSW does have financial limitations given the Big 4 of Durant, Curry, Green and Thompson. And they are paying Igoudala and Livingston good money as well over 3 years. Money matters, so if GSW cannot pay him something close to what he's worth on the market, he may not sign anyway. Assuming I understand 2-way contracts, he's a RFA after the season. So GSW would have to match what another team offers. Signing before he becomes a RFA would not let him test the market.

https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/sta...05012517326850

Looks like Quinn will be a Warrior through the 2019 season.

If Quinn takes less than $3 mil per season, I think he is making a mistake. I am pretty confident he would have gotten at least a 3-year, $9 mil deal this offseason... perhaps even a little bit more than that.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

GSW uses a center-by-committee approach. They each have their strengths and weaknesses, and Coach Steve Kerr plays each one depending on the matchup. And even during a game, it's rare to see any 5 get 20+ minutes. It's usually shared between bigs. So cutting one means losing a part of the plan. That's why I keep focusing on Nick Young as the one who gets cut - assuming McCaw is back for the playoffs.

And one other factor - Cook may want to hold out and not sign if the deal from GSW isn't good enough. He may want a multi-year guaranteed contract because some other PG-needy team may pay him that, especially if Quinn-sanity keeps him in the press. GSW does have financial limitations given the Big 4 of Durant, Curry, Green and Thompson. And they are paying Igoudala and Livingston good money as well over 3 years. Money matters, so if GSW cannot pay him something close to what he's worth on the market, he may not sign anyway. Assuming I understand 2-way contracts, he's a RFA after the season. So GSW would have to match what another team offers. Signing before he becomes a RFA would not let him test the market.
    So recent news that he's in discussions with the Warriors aside, I don't realistically think he would be getting much more from other teams. He's played a really small sample size of games, but beyond that, assuming his contract is converted to an NBa deal for him to play in the playoffs (a foregone conclusion at this point), he would be subject to what is known as the Gilbert Arenas provision. The short version is that the rule is in place to prevent teams from signing offer sheets to players like Cook who have been in the league for a short enough time that even his original team couldn't have bird rights to a contract bigger than the mid-level exception so that his original team can't be priced out of matching by rule. Now since the Warriors are highly likely to be tax payers next year, they aren't fully protected by this as a team can sign him to the full mid level if they chose and the Warriors couldn't match if they only had a tax payer mid level available. The difference for this year was about 5 million vs 8 million, but either way, I don't see teams lining up to offer 8 million to Cook based on the small sample size.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    If Quinn takes less than $3 mil per season, I think he is making a mistake. I am pretty confident he would have gotten at least a 3-year, $9 mil deal this offseason... perhaps even a little bit more than that.
    It will be interesting to see what he does. Stay with GSW - championship caliber organization all-around with young stars - or wait to sign with a lesser organization, endure losing, etc. for potentially more money. As a reference for us Devils, Seth Curry signed for 2 yrs/$6M, but he had to play for the Kings and now the Mavs.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    So recent news that he's in discussions with the Warriors aside, I don't realistically think he would be getting much more from other teams. He's played a really small sample size of games, but beyond that, assuming his contract is converted to an NBa deal for him to play in the playoffs (a foregone conclusion at this point), he would be subject to what is known as the Gilbert Arenas provision. The short version is that the rule is in place to prevent teams from signing offer sheets to players like Cook who have been in the league for a short enough time that even his original team couldn't have bird rights to a contract bigger than the mid-level exception so that his original team can't be priced out of matching by rule. Now since the Warriors are highly likely to be tax payers next year, they aren't fully protected by this as a team can sign him to the full mid level if they chose and the Warriors couldn't match if they only had a tax payer mid level available. The difference for this year was about 5 million vs 8 million, but either way, I don't see teams lining up to offer 8 million to Cook based on the small sample size.
    I've read that 2-way contracts accrue Bird rights. No?

Anyway you could be right about the $$, but since the NBA is all about paying for potential, some team might go high... though I agree $8M for him would be ridiculous. For reference GSW is paying the proven Livingston around $7.6M.

I've read that 2-way contracts accrue Bird rights. No?

Anyway you could be right about the $$, but since the NBA is all about paying for potential, some team might go high... though I agree $8M for him would be ridiculous. For reference GSW is paying the proven Livingston around $7.6M.
    They probably do, though I'm not well versed on that, but early bird rights take two years and full bird rights take 3, this is why the Arenas provision was invented. He hadn't been in the league long enough for anyone to have his bird rights and even though he was technically a restricted free agent, his original team was prevented from matching by rule which made the fact he was restricted moot.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    They probably do, though I'm not well versed on that, but early bird rights take two years and full bird rights take 3, this is why the Arenas provision was invented. He hadn't been in the league long enough for anyone to have his bird rights and even though he was technically a restricted free agent, his original team was prevented from matching by rule which made the fact he was restricted moot.
    2-ways being new, there's a lot of confusion. But I found this:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q32

Last sentence: Bird rights accrue for a player signed to a Two-Way contract... the same as for a player signed to a standard NBA contract.

Also just saw this:

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/981366202374213633

Key quote: “He's (Cook) probably not going to be a 30-point guy in the playoffs. That's not how the playoffs work. This is more like a playoff game — you got KD, Westbrook taking 25, 30 shots, whatever they took. The stars are dominating, but the role players have to do their job. I thought Quinn did that.”

Which says that Kerr assumes he's going to be there, too. Signing him now is key. But I don't think we will hear anything until the end of the season, since they can keep Cook and whoever is being cut on the roster until then.

2-ways being new, there's a lot of confusion. But I found this:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q32

Last sentence: Bird rights accrue for a player signed to a Two-Way contract... the same as for a player signed to a standard NBA contract.

Also just saw this:

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/981366202374213633

Key quote: “He's (Cook) probably not going to be a 30-point guy in the playoffs. That's not how the playoffs work. This is more like a playoff game — you got KD, Westbrook taking 25, 30 shots, whatever they took. The stars are dominating, but the role players have to do their job. I thought Quinn did that.”

Which says that Kerr assumes he's going to be there, too. Signing him now is key. But I don't think we will hear anything until the end of the season, since they can keep Cook and whoever is being cut on the roster until then.
    Thanks for that, although it is worth noting that it's moot for Cook since his contract is going to be converted for this season (even if it's technically only for the last couple of days). If he's going to sign a multiyear deal, what would likely make sense for both sides is for two years beyond this one. That would put him at the end of his fourth year in the league and third with the team, so Cook would have the advantage of unrestricted free agency and the team would have full bird rights to sign him over the cap without using an exception.

The two way bird rights could be a big deal for Amile Jefferson though if he were to have a Quinn like break out at some point and stay with the T-wolves.

ESPN: Qunn + Warriors discuss multi-year deal

A few more details from this brief article on espn.com . Nothing too new from what's been discussed, but a few clear indications of how hard Quinn has worked, and how GSW are valuing him.

In what will be the first deal of its kind, a two-year guaranteed pact is being ironed out and is expected to completed before the April 10 deadline in order for Cook to be playoff-eligible, sources tell ESPN.
    Cook, 25, is expected to be the first player in history to turn a two-way contract into postseason invite.
    [Quinn] will enter postseason play at the team's starting point guard.
    Seems like someone will definitely be cut, but no indication who. Damien Jones played 14 minutes last night against the Thunder and went 4-4 with a +9, Swaggy P played 28 minutes and was +13. Not sure if they'll give up either of those guys. McCaw and Casspi seem more likely to me given their injuries. Maybe with Casspi they figure if Durant goes down to injury, they aren't beating the Rockets anyway with Casspi in his place, so better to have a backup to Curry (who seems definitely out for the first round) and let Livingston keep running the 2nd unit, which is really his sweet spot.

But speculation aside, so great to see Quinn not just play his way into an NBA contract, but into a great situation on the most talented, and arguably best run team in the league!
    “Turning down the Lakers was tough, but it is always good to renew your vows to the loves of your life.”
    -Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyWonder View Post
    Seems like someone will definitely be cut, but no indication who.
    I've heard Omri Casspi would be cut in the case that the Warriors reach a deal with Quinn.