Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Quinn-sanity!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Whatever happens, Quin will get a guaranteed contract with somebody in the off season. So happy for him. The further away from 2015 we go the more it has become obvious that he was the glue that held everything together. We've had teams with comparable talent but not with comparable leadership since.
    For this ^^ reason, Quinn is my all time favorite Duke player. His leadership started with his full immediate embrace of Tyus as point guard, and that set the stage for that amazing season.

Quote Originally Posted by SF Dukie View Post
    A lot of Bay Area writers keep saying Casspi is the most likely to get cut if the Warriors sign Quinn.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/spor...being_cut.html
    Key quote, which I believe is true:

"First of all, it's you guys (sportsyak) talking," Casspi said, referring to media. "I don't really feel it from the organization. At the end of the day, I'm focused on getting healthy and playing. That's all I can control."

Casspi shoots 3's, sure. But practically everybody on the team shoots 3s, save the bigs (which after watching Michigan play in the tourney, I'm sure GSW would live to get Wagner). Considerations based on the article about Casspi to keep in mind when considering cutting him:

- Casspi and Cook play two different positions. Casspi is Durant's backup, Cook is Curry's backup.
    - Team chemistry is very important to GSW. Keeping a 2-way player off the post-season roster is easier on the team psyche than cutting a veteran.
    - Both Casspi's and Cook's defense is subpar. I love Cook, but it's easy to see. One could argue Cook's deficiencies are even more critical if he has to face up to Chris Paul or Kyrie Irving.

But I really think Cook has a better chance replacing Swaggy P. Both are scorers, and Young's defense is as subpar as Cook's. By cutting Young, they have the MLE for next season (not for Cook, but for another player). And they can replace a scorer with a scorer. Again to do so, I think Cook has to keep hitting 3's at a 40% clip.

That GIF posted by @Furniture shows both Young and Cook laughing with Steve Kerr. There's more to it than just laughing. This was from GSW's game against the Suns in mid-March. Young was getting into it with the Suns about a hard foul. Some pushing started, and Young might have been tossed. But Cook came over and pulled Young away, leading him back to the bench. Kerr was there, hugged them all, and defused the situation. But here are two points: one, Cook's leadership to get a teammate out of trouble, and two) Young is volatile, while Cook is more level headed. Just another reason to pick Cook over Young if management decides to do sign Cook for the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Whatever happens, Quin will get a guaranteed contract with somebody in the off season. So happy for him. The further away from 2015 we go the more it has become obvious that he was the glue that held everything together. We've had teams with comparable talent but not with comparable leadership since.
    I have to disagree. That was obvious, at the latest, by midseason in 20014-15. Quinn's leadership was remarked on ad nauseum throughout that season.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    Key quote, which I believe is true:

"First of all, it's you guys (sportsyak) talking," Casspi said, referring to media. "I don't really feel it from the organization. At the end of the day, I'm focused on getting healthy and playing. That's all I can control."

Casspi shoots 3's, sure. But practically everybody on the team shoots 3s, save the bigs (which after watching Michigan play in the tourney, I'm sure GSW would live to get Wagner). Considerations based on the article about Casspi to keep in mind when considering cutting him:

- Casspi and Cook play two different positions. Casspi is Durant's backup, Cook is Curry's backup.
    - Team chemistry is very important to GSW. Keeping a 2-way player off the post-season roster is easier on the team psyche than cutting a veteran.
    - Both Casspi's and Cook's defense is subpar. I love Cook, but it's easy to see. One could argue Cook's deficiencies are even more critical if he has to face up to Chris Paul or Kyrie Irving.

But I really think Cook has a better chance replacing Swaggy P. Both are scorers, and Young's defense is as subpar as Cook's. By cutting Young, they have the MLE for next season (not for Cook, but for another player). And they can replace a scorer with a scorer. Again to do so, I think Cook has to keep hitting 3's at a 40% clip.

That GIF posted by @Furniture shows both Young and Cook laughing with Steve Kerr. There's more to it than just laughing. This was from GSW's game against the Suns in mid-March. Young was getting into it with the Suns about a hard foul. Some pushing started, and Young might have been tossed. But Cook came over and pulled Young away, leading him back to the bench. Kerr was there, hugged them all, and defused the situation. But here are two points: one, Cook's leadership to get a teammate out of trouble, and two) Young is volatile, while Cook is more level headed. Just another reason to pick Cook over Young if management decides to do sign Cook for the playoffs.
    How is McCaw? I saw him carted off on a stretcher but haven't looked for an update. If he were to miss a lot of time (another PGish guard missing for the first round), do you think that could impact Cook?

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    which after watching Michigan play in the tourney, I'm sure GSW would live to get Wagner).
    I see that some draft boards have Mo Wagner as a 2nd round pick. I just do not understand that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    I have to disagree. That was obvious, at the latest, by midseason in 20014-15. Quinn's leadership was remarked on ad nauseum throughout that season.
    Yes we know it to be true, and maybe I'm just speaking for myself, but I guess at the time I didn't appreciate fully the extent to which that was true.

Quote Originally Posted by WillJ View Post
    I see that some draft boards have Mo Wagner as a 2nd round pick. I just do not understand that at all.
    Yeah, if I was picking early in the 2nd round, I doubt I would use a pick on him.

He's slow and not particularly athletic. He does not rebound well and could be abused on D by quicker NBA PFs. He's also not very strong for a NBA forward. He has been hot from long range this season but it is still far from a sure-thing that he will be able to hit NBA threes. He's a stretch 4 who brings value on O, but not much on D. I see his upside as being in a NBA team's top 8 or 9 rotation, but I doubt he ever becomes a starter in the league.

-Jason "I could be wrong, but mid-late 2nd round feels about right for him. He would have to really show well at the combine to get much attention as a potential first round pick" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Yeah, if I was picking early in the 2nd round, I doubt I would use a pick on him.

He's slow and not particularly athletic. He does not rebound well and could be abused on D by quicker NBA PFs. He's also not very strong for a NBA forward. He has been hot from long range this season but it is still far from a sure-thing that he will be able to hit NBA threes. He's a stretch 4 who brings value on O, but not much on D. I see his upside as being in a NBA team's top 8 or 9 rotation, but I doubt he ever becomes a starter in the league.

-Jason "I could be wrong, but mid-late 2nd round feels about right for him. He would have to really show well at the combine to get much attention as a potential first round pick" Evans
    That's funny...I meant to note that I was surprised he is not a 1st round pick. I could very easily see him being a starter in the league, your valid concerns about him notwithstanding. I just think that stretch fours are very much in demand right now, and he's a promising stretch four, IMO.

That's funny...I meant to note that I was surprised he is not a 1st round pick. I could very easily see him being a starter in the league, your valid concerns about him notwithstanding. I just think that stretch fours are very much in demand right now, and he's a promising stretch four, IMO.
    He's not a lottery pick, but I could see him going late first round. Which is where GSW will be. I think he would fit right into the Warrior rotation, particularly the small-ball ones. If all 5 players on the floor can hit the 3, things become very interesting.

Hello, Nova.

That's funny...I meant to note that I was surprised he is not a 1st round pick
    I knew that. I was trying to be sorta funny in my response. My bad.

As I said, I think his only shot at the first round is to have a really, really good combine. Yes, he has skills that could translate to the NBA, but you just don't see that many slowish guys in the league these days and the ones you do see tend to be true physical beasts on the inside in terms of rebounding and defense, which are not attributes Wagner possesses. I'm thinking he's a mid-late 2nd rounder... which is where most of the mocks seem to have him (if they even have him being drafted).
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I knew that. I was trying to be sorta funny in my response. My bad.

As I said, I think his only shot at the first round is to have a really, really good combine. Yes, he has skills that could translate to the NBA, but you just don't see that many slowish guys in the league these days and the ones you do see tend to be true physical beasts on the inside in terms of rebounding and defense, which are not attributes Wagner possesses. I'm thinking he's a mid-late 2nd rounder... which is where most of the mocks seem to have him (if they even have him being drafted).
    His stock is pretty high now. He is a really good college player- but he may not be a very good NBA player- just different games. I think he gets a second round pick and sticks. He will get stronger.

Excuse me

Where has the Quinn-sanity gone?
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by fraggler View Post
    How is McCaw? I saw him carted off on a stretcher but haven't looked for an update. If he were to miss a lot of time (another PGish guard missing for the first round), do you think that could impact Cook?
    Reports are he's doing OK. MRI, CT-scan, x-rays, etc. all came back negative. He's got a "lumbar spine contusion". But apparently he was able to walk today, which is a good sign. McCaw has already been ruled out of all basketball activity until a Thursday appointment with the docs. He won't be on the team's upcoming road trip. No timetable beyond that.

The NBA doesn't have an IR like the NFL. You can't stash a player, only make them inactive for a game. So they would still have to cut a player to add Cook for the playoffs. If we say McCaw is out for the playoffs, then perhaps that does mean that they would sign Cook. Then probably Casspi is the target for the cut. But this will only be decided after the regular season is over, and maybe McCaw is back then. So it's 5 for games for the Dubs - who knows if there are other injuries - and only then will we know what happens to Cook for the playoffs.

Quinn-sanity is real! Great blurb here including comparative Lin stats, assist-to-turnover ratio, importance to Warriors, actual use of the term QUINNSANITY, etc. The blogger believes this should be a national story. I agree. And so does my 9 year-old, who today had a choice of any NBA jersey and, well, you can guess the rest.

https://www.goldenstateofmind.com/20...anyone-noticed

Quote Originally Posted by martydoesntfoul View Post
    Quinn-sanity is real! Great blurb here including comparative Lin stats, assist-to-turnover ratio, importance to Warriors, actual use of the term QUINNSANITY, etc. The blogger believes this should be a national story. I agree. And so does my 9 year-old, who today had a choice of any NBA jersey and, well, you can guess the rest.

Kicker in the article:

And that, my friends, is why Quinn Cook is the Warriors Wonder for the month of March.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Dang, I should have trademarked the term when I had a chance 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Dang, I should have trademarked the term when I had a chance 8-)
    Truer words have not been spoken. Congrats UC: you’re a marketing genius!

Quote Originally Posted by martydoesntfoul View Post

The top comment:
    Top five active 3 pt. shooters, career (min. 100 attempts, min. 5 attempts per 36)

1. Steph Curry, GS .436
    2. Kyle Korver, CLE .432
    3. Seth Curry, DAL .432
    4. Quinn Cook, GS .425
    5. Klay Thompson, GS .422

Pretty ridiculous. Great to see Seth there, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke05 View Post
    Pretty ridiculous. Great to see Seth there, too.
    Yeah, I always liked Seth...good player, over shadowed of course...

Also, Quinn zero points tonight at half...