Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Quinn-sanity!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quinn-sanity!

I’m coining the term now. Our man has scored 20+ points in three straight games starting for the injured Curry. Draymond Green had a great sound bite, said he couldn’t believe this guy was on a two-way contract playing mostly in the G league. What a testament to his hard work and never giving up on himself. If he doesn’t get a guaranteed contract next season, every GM should be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I’m coining the term now. Our man has scored 20+ points in three straight games starting for the injured Curry. Draymond Green had a great sound bite, said he couldn’t believe this guy was on a two-way contract playing mostly in the G league. What a testament to his hard work and never giving up on himself. If he doesn’t get a guaranteed contract next season, every GM should be fired.
    Good catch, thanks for posting this!

i dig it...and will be using it...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Along those lines, more people are getting on board: http://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/3/...state-warriors

Quote Originally Posted by fraggler View Post
    Along those lines, more people are getting on board: http://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/3/...state-warriors
    Wow, do Quinn's jumpshots EVER even touch rim?! Smooth... (Yes, I did see one that touched, but man, that jumper looks awesome). Great to see him crushing it!

Looked it up, and for the first two games, Quinn shot 70% (on 30 shots) from the field, including 72% from 3! Yowza...(yes, I purposely excluded his worse performance against the Spurs).
    Last edited by Bluedog; 03-20-2018 at 09:25 PM.

I couldn't be happier for his success. He's worked so hard to get this shot and is making the most of it. He's definitely earned this opportunity.

Cook is one of those guys like Nolan Smith and Amile Jefferson. They just won me over with their relentless positive attitude, effort, and development over the course of their career. I think Javin is going to be a player like that. Once he starts figuring out how to handle himself on the offensive side of the court, the sky is the limit.

I think Curry's been Wally Pipped.

Quote Originally Posted by WillJ View Post
    I think Curry's been Wally Pipped.
    LOL! Well, maybe not. Can't Q and C play together in the same back court? Dawkins and Amaker, for example!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    LOL! Well, maybe not. Can't Q and C play together in the same back court? Dawkins and Amaker, for example!
    Uh no. That would mean Klay Thompson, All-Star/Splash Brother/lock down defender/Mr. 37-freaking-points-in-one-quarter, sits or gets traded. Not likely to happen. Best case for him with GSW is backup guard, perhaps instant offense.

I live in the Bay Area and follow GSW. I’m so happy Cook is playing well, but for him playing in the post-season *this year* depends on the injury situation at GSW (Curry, Thompson, Durant and Green – the 4 GSW All-Stars – all have been injured lately, plus several bench players). Plus regarding playing him next year means GSW has to look at their cap situation and financials.

The reason why Cook is playing so much now is that the Warriors are sitting their injured because they have nothing to really play for the rest of the season. They are basically locked into the 2-seed for the playoffs unless Houston nose dives. So resting their injured and then reviving them by early April seems to be the plan. As he is on a 2-way contract, he cannot play in the playoffs. The only realistic shot being discussed for Cook to play in the playoffs this year is to cut a contract player. Omri Casspi is on a 1-yr, $2M contract. He’s been injured, but he is also the backup for Durant, and he’s played acceptably in the stints that he has had. GSW gave Curry’s backup, Shaun Livingston, a 3-yr $24M contract. So they won’t cut him. They could give up on Patrick McCaw, whose $1.3M contract is up at the end of the year when he's a restricted free agent. McCaw has been injured, too, but he played well in the playoffs last year, so it would be hard to see them giving up on him. Cook has had a few good games now, but remember it’s really when games don’t count for GSW. McCaw is more proven. Lastly, Nick Young aka Swaggy P, is on a 1-yr $5.2M contract. IMO even though it isn't being discussed in sportsyak, this is actually the biggest possibility for cutting a player. The financial hit is bigger here for GSW. Young is taller, but his D isn’t that good. He is hitting 3’s at a 38% clip, which he was brought in to do - and he can get hot from 3. Cook is hitting 39% from 3, but he's taken far less shots than Young, and Young took them against better competition in general. So honestly I’m not optimistic that GSW actively decides Cook is a better choice than any of these guys… so unless injuries really become a problem, I can’t see Cook playing in the post-season.

As a 2-way, GSW owns his rights. It’s unclear if he’s on a 2-yr, 2-way contract or just 1-yr. FYI to anyone not following the NBA so closely, 2-way contracts are new for the NBA this year... so there's a lot of questions at least publicly about how they work out. Anyway, if it’s a 2-yr , then I think he’s going to be in the same position with GSW next year as a 2-way player with the same playing restrictions unless GSW converts him (or trades him). If it’s a 1-yr, then as I understand it he becomes a restricted free agent at the end of the year, so GSW can match any offer another team gives him. Again, this is new ground since 2-way contracts are new this year. I've looked to see whether his contract is 2-yr or 1-yr, but I can't find it easily.

In any case, we are all pulling for Cook. As a player, I think he’d want to stay with GSW as a franchise is a happy franchise with good ownership and coaching, and a great chance to win and get rings (if GSW does win this year, Cook will get a ring). GSW should continue to be competitive for a few years to come as their core is so young. Young, but expensive. So the trick is to meet salary cap restrictions and not take too much of a financial hit. Tying up the stars doesn’t leave all that much for the others – many GSW players just take the veteran's minimum so that they can get a chance at a ring. So in Cook's case, that might force GSW to not be able to match what other teams might give him. But I think it's clear he should be playing in the NBA next year, with GSW on another 2-way, with GSW on a contract they can afford, or with another team for more dough. Cook is smart - I'm sure he wants to play on a guaranteed contract, but I'm sure he also wants to win. I hope he stays with GSW, one way or another.

9F

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    I live in the Bay Area and follow GSW. I’m so happy Cook is playing well, but for him playing in the post-season *this year* depends on the injury situation at GSW (Curry, Thompson, Durant and Green – the 4 GSW All-Stars – all have been injured lately, plus several bench players). Plus regarding playing him next year means GSW has to look at their cap situation and financials.

9F
    Live in the Bay Area too and follow GSW. The TV announcers commented during one of Cook's recent games that 2 way players are not eligible for the playoffs. Found a couple of links that seemed to verify this.

Quote Originally Posted by unclsam1 View Post
    Live in the Bay Area too and follow GSW. The TV announcers commented during one of Cook's recent games that 2 way players are not eligible for the playoffs. Found a couple of links that seemed to verify this.
    Yes, he would have to be put on the main roster. The article I linked says they have to make that decision April 10th.

Another good game for Quinn last night. 32 mins. 5 from 11 for 13 points. 6 assists. 8 rebounds and 1 steal. Steph was back and played 25 mins.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Another good game for Quinn last night. 32 mins. 5 from 11 for 13 points. 6 assists. 8 rebounds and 1 steal. Steph was back and played 25 mins.
    Good birthday performance from @QCook323

..and Steph is injured again. Bummer for him and the Warriors, likely very good for Q to get some more run.
    Let's go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    ..and Steph is injured again. Bummer for him and the Warriors, likely very good for Q to get some more run.
    Warriors may need to protect against another Steph injury and give Quinn a playoff roster spot- we shall see.

Burying the lead a bit...Steph was hurt again and will likely miss more time.

A lot of the people commenting on this don't understand the 2 way contract rules. Until Quinn gets to 45 days total of time with the GS squad, there is no benefit to him or the team to change his contract. He gets paid at NBA rate for every day he is there on top of his $75K 2 way contract rate. Once he gets to 45 days, then they have to move him onto the main roster. If they move him to the main roster before 45 days, it means they have to cut another guy to make space, without any benefit to Quinn.

Draymond drives me crazy most of the time but the guy has been out spoken several times about how impactful Quinn has been. I dig this story of perseverance, just dig it.

I’m coining the term now.
    I've been following his performance each game with much delight and Jeremy Lin was exactly the person who I was thinking about when watching Quinn.

Thanks for coining the phrase!
    Last edited by HK Dukie; 03-21-2018 at 01:43 AM. Reason: quotation brackets

A question to which I do not admittedly know the answer. Did Quinn ever score 20+ for three games in a row while at Duke?