Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
    https://twitter.com/TheDukeNation/st...14283303882752

Hmm this is interesting fallout from Carter's comments

Quote Originally Posted by 907bluedevils View Post

I don't see the original post or outrage. Just people being upset. Can you explain?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

I don't see any "fallout". I see a bunch of fans and haters arguing with each other.
    Fallout would be that some recruit decommits because of what Wendell said, or what was at least interpreted that he said , and that ain't happening.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I don't see the original post or outrage. Just people being upset. Can you explain?
    Bolden liked two tweets:

1. An article from Rob Dauster discussing the positives and negatives of playing for Duke/a team filled with stars.
    2. The tweet talking about how several Duke players feel they could have performed better as an individual at a different school and would not attend Duke if they could have a do-over.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I don't see any "fallout". I see a bunch of fans and haters arguing with each other.
    Fallout would be that some recruit decommits because of what Wendell said, or what was at least interpreted that he said , and that ain't happening.
    I am not terribly twitter savvy, but this should be the original post from a twitter account that I, at least, don't recognize as belonging to anyone related to basketball:

Coaching Changes Retweeted Rob Dauster

Kudos to Wendell Carter for having the balls to say publically what many former Duke players wouldn’t. Most Duke players have said behind closed doors that they would not go to Duke if they could do it over again and had a better shot to be better players.

Rob Dauster

Wendell Carter made some interesting comments yesterday about Duke and what happens to a team with that much talent. I have some thoughts on that. He's right, but it also had a minimal impact on him and his teammates.
    I believe the fallout referenced is that Marques apparently liked the tweet from Coaching Changes.

So, I both understand where this is coming from, but also don't understand it. If the "problem" is too much talent at Duke, would that be a bigger problem in the NBA? Or is the suggestion that Duke's roster was more talented than an NBA roster? If the issue is college style of play not being as conducive to showing of skills as the NBA, that would seem to be a problem everywhere. It is likely that, at least for significant portions of their careers, none of the guys this year will be the primary star/option on their team in the NBA. In fact, the only player that has been in recent memory is Kyrie Irving (sort of).

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    So, I both understand where this is coming from, but also don't understand it. If the "problem" is too much talent at Duke, would that be a bigger problem in the NBA? Or is the suggestion that Duke's roster was more talented than an NBA roster? If the issue is college style of play not being as conducive to showing of skills as the NBA, that would seem to be a problem everywhere. It is likely that, at least for significant portions of their careers, none of the guys this year will be the primary star/option on their team in the NBA. In fact, the only player that has been in recent memory is Kyrie Irving (sort of).
    It’s not that they feel they would be primary stars in the NBA too, it’s that they feel they need to be a enough of a primary star in college to achieve a high draft pick.

Example: what if Tre Young came to Duke instead of Duval? He likely wouldn’t have been the same Tre Young on a team with Grayson, Gary, Bagley, and Carter. I think that’s the heart of the issue being discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by Philadukie View Post
    It’s not that they feel they would be primary stars in the NBA too, it’s that they feel they need to be a enough of a primary star in college to achieve a high draft pick.

Example: what if Tre Young came to Duke instead of Duval? He likely wouldn’t have been the same Tre Young on a team with Grayson, Gary, Bagley, and Carter. I think that’s the heart of the issue being discussed.
    Another reason I hope the NBA makes a change on early entry from high school to the pro-game. Whether it be the NBA or the G league or whatever they want to call the minor league. Most of the kids don't seem to care about team play, just what can you do for me? GoDuke!

Dauster’s comments look to be fair, and applicable to any team that has a lot of talent, not necessarily Duke. He even uses the Warriors as an NBA example. Carter’s comments seem to me like a statement of the college game vs. the NBA. Whoever this “Coaching Changes” guy is he seems like a hack and is taking Wendell’s comments and extrapolating his own opinions. He says that “most” Duke players regret going to Duke, which is completely unfounded and frankly laughable. Just another example of random biased fans on Twitter and the absurd degree to which others will believe them.

As I said before, every player in the draft thinks he can show more than he did in college. The job of the NBA scouts is to break him down and point out all his faults, so he can either tell them that his weaknesses are his own or he can blame it on the system and claim to be capable of more.
    Last edited by UrinalCake; 06-07-2018 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I didn't like how he phrased some of it, but Wendell's mostly right. In the NBA, there WILL be more space to operate than in college. Especially since last season's Duke team was the rare one that couldn't space the floor all that well. I think both Wendell and Marvin were tired by the end of the season of having the lanes so clogged.

I doubt the Duke coaches will read these quotes and take offense.
    The NBA will also expose defensive weaknesses. I am not quite sure what skill Wendell was not able show offensively. He showed a complee offensive game at Duke but also a tendency to foul and get taken out of games. Most Freshman don’t show all of what they can do. I am sure Grayson felt the same way after his Freshman year.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    The NBA will also expose defensive weaknesses. I am not quite sure what skill Wendell was not able show offensively.
    100% agree. I thought he was able to show a complete, well-rounded offensive game. Defensively we hid him in the zone defense because we had to. He should feel grateful to K for abandoning the system that has worked for him for 30+ years in order to maximize Carter's ability to defend in the post while not exposing him on the perimeter.

Dauster interprets his comments as him wanting to be the focal point of the team, which went out the window when Bagley came on board in August. I totally get why that would cause some tension, but at the same time Bagley was able to draw double teams and draw defenders away from Carter, so there's two sides to it. Had he gone to Harvard, he might have gotten more shots but he'd be facing triple teams all day. Also, whatever NBA team he goes to he's not going to be the primary option on offense so it actually works to his benefit for him to have shown he can be an efficient scorer without being the primary option.

I've been listening to a ton of draft-related podcasts lately. In almost every breakdown of every player, the analysts talk about how the player wasn't used optimally in college, either because of positional need or the system that was run by their team or just the inherent differences in the college game versus the pros. Some guys were elite defenders but weren't asked to guard the point of attack. Some guys were better off the ball but were asked to run the team. Ayton is probably the biggest example of a player being "misused" as he was played at the 4 next to a plodding center. Kevin Knox is climbing up a lot of draft boards and people are questioning why he wasn't more of a focal point of the offense at Kentucky. So if people are going to claim that Carter was misused at Duke, then they'd have to say the same thing about pretty much every other team in the country.

I guess that means that college coaches use the players they have in the best way, in their opinion, that will permit their team to win. No surprise there. That is what they are paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I guess that means that college coaches use the players they have in the best way, in their opinion, that will permit their team to win. No surprise there. That is what they are paid for.
    Whereas, in the NBA, it's totally different. Those NBA coaches just roll the ball out and let the players figure out how to showcase their own skillsets most effectively.

/eyeroll

I don't disagree with your point--in fact, quite the contrary. I think these players may be shocked to find that, in the NBA too, they're going to be asked to sacrifice their (self-identified) talents to the betterment of the team's interests. It's a novel concept, of course.

That said, I'd also agree that the pace, space, and playing concepts of the NBA are objectively different than in college, so some players will better be able to display their range of skills. Conversely, others will be exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    100% agree. I thought he was able to show a complete, well-rounded offensive game. Defensively we hid him in the zone defense because we had to. He should feel grateful to K for abandoning the system that has worked for him for 30+ years in order to maximize Carter's ability to defend in the post while not exposing him on the perimeter.

Dauster interprets his comments as him wanting to be the focal point of the team, which went out the window when Bagley came on board in August. I totally get why that would cause some tension, but at the same time Bagley was able to draw double teams and draw defenders away from Carter, so there's two sides to it. Had he gone to Harvard, he might have gotten more shots but he'd be facing triple teams all day. Also, whatever NBA team he goes to he's not going to be the primary option on offense so it actually works to his benefit for him to have shown he can be an efficient scorer without being the primary option.
    With Marvin drawing constant double teams, we should have been able to exploit Wendell's man doubling - when that happened. Alas, Marvin is not the passer that Wendell is, and wasn't great about quickly moving the ball as that double arrived. This is surely something they would have figured out during their sophomore year, and it's shocking they won't be there to make it happen. ;^)

Apologies if this is a repost, but the Ringer had a pretty good piece on Bagley (and some bigger themes) today.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/6...rsus-readiness

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    So if people are going to claim that Carter was misused at Duke, then they'd have to say the same thing about pretty much every other team in the country.
    Need to tell that to that moron with the Nuisance Disturber in Raleigh...Aaron what's his name...had all kinds of laughs at the comments from Wendell, and it gave him a chance to remind everyone what Gary Trent's dad said too.