Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    They just lost to a tx AM team which didn't even get votes in the last AP poll. As I said. wrestling with pigs.
    are they hot buttered pigs? pigs in a blanket? pigs on the wing? pigs in a poke? 3 little piggies?
    Inquiring minds want to know...

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    are they hot buttered pigs? pigs in a blanket? pigs on the wing? pigs in a poke? 3 little piggies?
    Inquiring minds want to know...
    I'm more interested in pulled, chopped or sliced.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    that depends on if you're in eastern or western pennsylvania
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    mmmmm...bacon

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    One of the best rules of picking a winner in basketball is "pick the team with the best individual player." Well, in that game there is no question at all that the best player in the game was Gordon Hayward. No one else in that game has had anywhere close to his NBA career (Mason is second but you can make a solid argument that Shelvin Mack is third... he's at least alongside Lance and Singler as the third best pro from that game).
    great point, but in addition to that, Duke also put MP1 in the league (still there), Andre Dawkins (cup o'tea only), and Nolan Smith. We will never know, but i continue to believe that Jon Scheyer would have made a damn fine player in the NBA had he not had his eye poked out (slight exaggeration). Zoubek may have been able to carve out a minor role had he not gotten injured in pre-season camp as well. So even though Duke may not have had the single best player on the court, they had more total pro potential spread amongst its players than did Butler.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    Tarheels kwenda nyumbani means tarheels going home in Swahili. Of course you knew that right heels? No? Why not?
    The Heels got the tar beaten out of them! See ya next year.

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    Yeah, the "easy" path to the title is a quick way for fans of other teams to try to diminish winning the NCAAT, which is difficult no matter who you are. I think people point to 2015 because Duke faced a team that generally hasn't gotten a lot of national media attention (Utah) and a team that, rightly or wrongly, had a reputation for flaming out in the tournament and is not from a major conference (Gonzaga). In reality, those two teams were excellent. Duke did catch a break by being on the opposite side of the bracket from Wiscy/Kentucky and therefore getting to play a Spartan team that was clearly not as good. But, hey, sometimes it happens like that.

People said the same thing about Duke's 2010 title run, which I think was even harder. Duke did get a little lucky by facing a Purdue team in the Sweet 16 that had lost its best player (Robbie Hummell) to knee injury. But other than that, Duke had a really tough road. I remember being nervous about facing California in the second round . . . a team that was 14th in KenPom, had a scary-good offense. That was a Sweet 16-level test that Duke passed with flying colors in the second round. Duke even had to play two de facto away games in that run, including beating Baylor in Houston and then beating Butler in Butler's hometown. While all the media attention was focused on a potential Duke-UK battle in the semi-final, people forgot that West Virginia had been just as good as Kentucky throughout most of the season even if the Mountaineers didn't have the same name recognition. Some might recall that there were many who thought WVU should've been given the #1 seed that went to Duke. The fact that Duke beat the crap out of California and WVU didn't mean that Duke's path was easy. It just meant that Duke was really good.

That said, Duke's path to the Elite Eight this year really is about as "easy" as we could have hoped. We had a reasonable 2/15 game. We faced one of the worst 7-seeds in the second round. And we will face the worst team remaining in the tournament in the Sweet 16. Nothing is given, of course. Duke really needs to take care of business. But I wouldn't sweat it when people who claim that Duke's path has been "easy," so far. It is, quite frankly, exactly as we fans would have designed it if we had been given a chance. Still gotta win the games on the court, though!
    These are great points.

Here are some numbers on 2010 and 2015 by the Bart Torvik ranks of the teams we played
    2010: 233, 14, 12, 8, 6, 15
    2015: 188, 30, 7, 8, 13, 3

If anyone tells you that Duke had an easy path in 2010, you can tell them that Duke beat 5 top 15 teams in the tournament that year.

For comparison, here is UNC's path last year
    2017: 218, 35, 25, 7, 12, 1

They did play Gonzaga in the championship, so they earned it in the end, but their path to the championship was likely one of the easier roads to a final.

Quote Originally Posted by ns7 View Post
    These are great points.

Here are some numbers on 2010 and 2015 by the Bart Torvik ranks of the teams we played
    2010: 233, 14, 12, 8, 6, 15
    2015: 188, 30, 7, 8, 13, 3

If anyone tells you that Duke had an easy path in 2010, you can tell them that Duke beat 5 top 15 teams in the tournament that year.

For comparison, here is UNC's path last year
    2017: 218, 35, 25, 7, 12, 1

They did play Gonzaga in the championship, so they earned it in the end, but their path to the championship was likely one of the easier roads to a final.
    To be fair, one of those top-15 teams in 2010 was a shell of itself in the tourney. Purdue had just lost its best player for the year before the tournament. But, yeah, we played Baylor in Houston and Butler in Indianapolis. And West Virginia (though their best player tore his ACL in our game) and Cal. It wasn’t an easy schedule. It was easier than it could have been, but not easy.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    that depends on if you're in eastern or western pennsylvania
    Roasted pork sammiches (and cheesesteaks) in the east. Chipped ham barbecue () in the west.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

May Be Completely Meaningless, But

Here's the record of the SW16 teams in the regular season when they faced other SW16 teams.

W L PCT
    Duke 3 0 1.000
    Villanova 1 0 1.000
    Kansas 10 1 0.909
    Purdue 2 1 0.667
    Texas Tech 5 3 0.625
    Florida State 2 2 0.500
    Kentucky 2 2 0.500
    Texas A&M 2 2 0.500
    West Virginia 4 6 0.400
    Michigan 1 2 0.333
    Clemson 1 3 0.250
    Syracuse 1 3 0.250
    Kansas State 0 7 0.000
    Gonzaga 0 1 0.000
    Nevada 0 1 0.000
    Loyola Chicago 0 0

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    To be fair, one of those top-15 teams in 2010 was a shell of itself in the tourney. Purdue had just lost its best player for the year before the tournament. But, yeah, we played Baylor in Houston and Butler in Indianapolis. And West Virginia (though their best player tore his ACL in our game) and Cal. It wasn’t an easy schedule. It was easier than it could have been, but not easy.
    As I recall, though, Hummel’s injury was accounted for in Purdue’s seed. While they had the resume of a 2 or 3, they ended up with a 4 or 5 - meaning that we faced them earlier in the tournament than we otherwise would have.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    And West Virginia (though their best player tore his ACL in our game)
    My (somewhat fuzzy) memory tells me that the injury happened with only three or four minutes left in the game and Duke winning by almost 10. So it is likely we would have won anyways. I remember Zoubek came over and drew a charge, the WVU player got hurt, and Bob Huggins yelled something like "they get every call!" I also remember the player's last name was Butler, which was notable because our next game was against Butler the team.

Funny that I can recall all of these details, yet I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    My (somewhat fuzzy) memory tells me that the injury happened with only three or four minutes left in the game and Duke winning by almost 10. So it is likely we would have won anyways. I remember Zoubek came over and drew a charge, the WVU player got hurt, and Bob Huggins yelled something like "they get every call!" I also remember the player's last name was Butler, which was notable because our next game was against Butler the team.

Funny that I can recall all of these details, yet I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday
    I think that Duke was winning by something more like 20 at the time. The injury was extremely unfortunate, but it in no way affected the outcome. That game had been decided long before. Duke was completely unstoppable that game. I think it’s safe to say that it was the second best game that Duke played that entire season (nothing beats 82-50 and while the beat down of Maryland in Cameron and the emergence of Zoubek was fun, the stakes just weren’t as high). No one would’ve beaten us that day.

Also, I definitey recall that the committee had taken Robbie Hummel’s injury into account when seeding Purdue at 4. That team still had some talent. I won’t lie and say it was the most difficult Sweet 16 test, ever, but it was an appropriately tough draw for a 1 seed in the Sweet 16 and hardly a gimme.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    As I recall, though, Hummel’s injury was accounted for in Purdue’s seed. While they had the resume of a 2 or 3, they ended up with a 4 or 5 - meaning that we faced them earlier in the tournament than we otherwise would have.
    Yes, although I would argue that even a 4/5 was probably a bit too high. They were probably more like a top-25 or top-30 team (so a 6 or 7 seed) without Hummel, not a top-15 team (4 seed).

Again, though, it isn’t like our draw was easy. We still got a top-15 team in Cal in round 2, a top-10 team in the Elite-8 essentially on the road, and a top-5 team in West Virginia. And we played a top-15 team on the road in the title game.

Butler got hurt with about 9 minutes left, with us up by 15 and them with the ball. So, yes, we were likely to win, but it was far from decided.

Sorry, you can't qualify for memory care unless you forget what you had for lunch TODAY. (True, they asked my Dad. No, he had no idea.)

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    Here's the record of the SW16 teams in the regular season when they faced other SW16 teams.

W L PCT
    Duke 3 0 1.000
    Villanova 1 0 1.000
    Kansas 10 1 0.909
    Purdue 2 1 0.667
    Texas Tech 5 3 0.625
    Florida State 2 2 0.500
    Kentucky 2 2 0.500
    Texas A&M 2 2 0.500
    West Virginia 4 6 0.400
    Michigan 1 2 0.333
    Clemson 1 3 0.250
    Syracuse 1 3 0.250
    Kansas State 0 7 0.000
    Gonzaga 0 1 0.000
    Nevada 0 1 0.000
    Loyola Chicago 0 0
    Thank you for arranging by percentage of wins instead of number of wins.

Man, this actually makes me more nervous about Kansas. Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post

W L PCT
    Duke 3 0 1.000
    Villanova 1 0 1.000
    Kansas 10 1 0.909
    Purdue 2 1 0.667
    Texas Tech 5 3 0.625
    Florida State 2 2 0.500
    Kentucky 2 2 0.500
    Texas A&M 2 2 0.500
    West Virginia 4 6 0.400
    Michigan 1 2 0.333
    Clemson 1 3 0.250
    Syracuse 1 3 0.250
    Kansas State 0 7 0.000
    Gonzaga 0 1 0.000
    Nevada 0 1 0.000
    Loyola Chicago 0 0
    Gee, where are the Cheaters on this list?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Thank you for arranging by percentage of wins instead of number of wins.

Man, this actually makes me more nervous about Kansas. Yikes.
    I'll be interested to see how the Big 12 does. The volume of games for Big 12 among Sweet 16 numbers are skewed because the Big 12 gets a double round robin and the ACC does not. That said, even non-con, KU had just a ridiculous schedule this year and managed it pretty well (other than the two losses to Okie St and the home loss to Az St.). All of the Big 12 teams left have massive weaknesses, and you can argue that K State is the weakest team remaining in the tourney. I wouldn't be stunned if they all lost Thu/Fri. That said, I think KU and even Tech could win it all. I just don't see WVU getting by 'Nova. That's a horrible matchup for WVU, but Huggy Bear has surprised before (2010).

If I were Nova my concern is that even if I beat WV, my perimeter players would have taken such a beating physically that they will not recover quickly enough to be spry for the next game, especially if the next game is against another team with very physical defense like TTech.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    I'll be interested to see how the Big 12 does. The volume of games for Big 12 among Sweet 16 numbers are skewed because the Big 12 gets a double round robin and the ACC does not. That said, even non-con, KU had just a ridiculous schedule this year and managed it pretty well (other than the two losses to Okie St and the home loss to Az St.). All of the Big 12 teams left have massive weaknesses, and you can argue that K State is the weakest team remaining in the tourney. I wouldn't be stunned if they all lost Thu/Fri. That said, I think KU and even Tech could win it all. I just don't see WVU getting by 'Nova. That's a horrible matchup for WVU, but Huggy Bear has surprised before (2010).
    And KU beat WVU 3 times and KSU 3 times - twice in the season and once in the conference tournament. That is a big part of their 10 wins.

The Sweet 16 games start tonight (with the South and West Regions).

First, a few links.

Andy Katz, now of NCAA.com, ranks the 16 teams. Duke, Kansas, and Clemson are in the Top 5, all ahead of Kentucky. The bottom 3 are Nevada, Loyola-Chicago, and Kansas State.

Myron Medcalf, still at ESPN, reseeds the Sweet 16 because he hates overachieving teams and everyone who filled out a bracket. Duke and Clemson are in the Top 3, Kansas is #10, and Kansas State is again at the bottom.

From The Sporting News, CBS defends their exploitation of crying kids in their telecast. Not the players when they lose, the actual children in the stands. My reaction quickly goes from "Well, they're learning a valuable lesson after expectations and disappointment early in life" to "I feel like the camera is lingering on this for too long." Crying Duke Kid from the 2004 ACC Tournament has to be at least college age now, right? What's his opinion? Is he on DBR?

Awful Announcing had its readers rank the broadcasting teams so far in the NCAA Tournament. They liked that Jim Nantz was there to announce UMBC's win over Virginia, but they felt the broadcast "lacked that one moment we'll remember." Four of their top five broadcasting teams made it to the next round, as you'll see below.

Second, the announcers by region.

South (Atlanta), Thursday: Brian Anderson, Chris Webber, Lisa Byington
    West (Los Angeles), Thursday: Kevin Harlan, Reggie Miller, Dan Bonner, Dana Jacobson
    East (Boston), Friday: Ian Eagle, Jim Spanarkel, Allie LaForce
    Midwest (Omaha), Friday: Jim Nantz, Grant Hill, Bill Raftery, Tracy Wolfson

Third, a team name/mascot breakdown of the Sweet 16.

DBR Chat, which was pleasant last weekend, but not in a Jim Nantz milquetoast way, had a continuing discussion about the Chinese Year of the Dog, NCAA Tournament mascots, and the never-ending struggle between cats and dogs.

Felines (4): Kansas State Wildcats, Kentucky Wildcats, Villanova Wildcats, Clemson Tigers
    Canines (4): Loyola-Chicago Ramblers (wolf mascot), Nevada Wolf Pack, Gonzaga Bulldogs, Texas A&M Aggies (rough collie mascot)
    Bipeds (5): Florida State Seminoles, West Virginia Mountaineers, Texas Tech Red Raiders, Purdue Boilermakers, Duke Blue Devils
    Other Animals (2): Michigan Wolverines, Kansas Jayhawks
    Fruit (1): Syracuse Orange

Fourth, there will be chat Thursday and Friday nights.

The games Thursday are Loyola-Chicago vs. Nevada, Texas A&M vs. Michigan, Kansas State vs. Kentucky, and Florida State vs. Gonzaga. That's a four dog night.