Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Well, considering they usually cram a dozen or so of those clowns into the container, Bubbles was probably there too ...
    Speaking of clowns, I wore my only pair of argyle socks to work today. Do you think that is subtle enough? (black and grey)

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I wish you hadn’t toned it down. Every single person at UNC who was directly involved in the cheating—as well as anyone who subsequently found out about it and has either defended the cheating or turned a blind eye to it—is culpable and forever deserves our condemnation and ridicule.
    Not so fast there. Some of us actually don't care about UNC one way or the other and don't want to have to read a bunch of bilge lambasting them in every message thread. Of course, it helps that I live in Colorado and all the UNC grads I know here are really nice people who care little about sports.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    This is actually my favorite strategy. Say nothing, just be a little more chipper than usual (how could you not be, amirite?), move your Duke schwag to a more visible location on your desk. When faced with a choice between email and dropping by in person, drop by. Mention nothing.

The smart and more classy people mention the game, and despite my militant attitude here, I do in fact try to be gracious. The dimmer, more cretinous fume inside, effectively punishing themselves.

The beauty of this strategy is it is simultaneously gracious AND petty, in all the right ways, and the jerkwads punish themselves.
    Actually, on a number of occasions at RDU, I re-arrange the apparel in the merchandise shops, putting the Duke stuff in the front and the UNC stuff behind. No one has ever said anything.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Actually, on a number of occasions at RDU, I re-arrange the apparel in the merchandise shops, putting the Duke stuff in the front and the UNC stuff behind. No one has ever said anything.
    That's the spirit!

-jk

"You must spread some Comments around before commenting on sagegrouse again."

We are kindred spirits, my friend. I have been known to do the same thing but with State stuff. My wife HATES it. She thinks it's childish and immature. I don't really care if she's right.

note: I never bother to cover up Duke stuff.

Oh, mean looks at the office.

Poor babies.

I live in west Raleigh, so the NC State influence is pretty significant.

So, this may have been NC State folks.

And this did happen 30 or so years ago and hasn't been repeated.

So, an outlier. I hope.

But anyway. I'm out running and wearing a Duke t-shirt.

Car drives by. Someone yells "Duke sucks" and throws a watermelon at me.

Seriously. A watermelon.

It missed. Probably tough to accurately aim a watermelon thrown from a moving car.

Lots of questions. Did these folks just keep a watermelon in their car for targets of opportunity? Or was it just a fortuitous combination of events, newly-purchased watermelon, guy in Duke T-shirt, give it a shot?

Why a watermelon?

Why not an orange or a banana?

I just sort of stood there with a what-was-that-look on my face.

They drove off and I'm left with only memories of that most curious encounter.

Full game replay?

Anyone know how or where one might be able to watch a full game replay of this.
    I was too chicken to tune in. I kept up with the score but even at the 5 minute mark and a 20 point lead I didn't have the guts. I've been burned way too many times.
    What a lovely sports weekend!!

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    ... I'm out running and wearing a Duke t-shirt.

Seriously. A watermelon.

It missed. Probably tough to accurately aim a watermelon thrown from a moving car.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a watermelon ...

You were Patches O'Houlihan?

Not so fast there. Some of us actually don't care about UNC one way or the other and don't want to have to read a bunch of bilge lambasting them in every message thread. Of course, it helps that I live in Colorado and all the UNC grads I know here are really nice people who care little about sports.
    Are you sure the nice folks wearing UNC shirts aren't actually fans/grads of the University of Northern Colorado?

Now that’s an anomaly. We’re they asked to leave North Carolina because they’re nice or because they don’t like basketball?

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I know 2 reasonable UNCheat fans. One even watched the 2001 championship game with me at Raleighwood and was cheering with me. The other is just a very reasonable and respectable man who doesn't let his fandom override his personality. So that's 2 out of about 1000 that I know...
    There is no way I believe that a genuine Tarheel fan watched Duke win a National Championship and cheered the Blue Devils on to victory. That simply could not have happened on this planet.

I see the discussion here about the question to gloat over the Duke win and Carolina loss.

The Bible states "Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, and let not your heart be glad when he stumbles, lest the Lord see it and be displeased, and turn away his anger from him." Proverbs 24:17-18

From US News report on schadenfreude featuring Mina Cikara, an assistant professor of psychology at Harvard University: If you're prone to frequent schadenfreude, it's also wise to consider what that might say about you. Ask yourself: Do I feel insecure, inadequate or inferior in some way? If you do, think about whether there's any productive action you could take to address those feelings. If the group whose misfortune you relished had previously had success you could have received but didn't, it's worth considering what you could do differently in the future to garner that kind of success.

From the Simpsons, Nelson Muntz says, "Ha Ha!"

I'm a non-practicing Presbyterian and think pop psychology is garbage. So I side with Nelson.

Poor babies.

So, an outlier. I hope.

Seriously. A watermelon.

Lots of questions. Did these folks just keep a watermelon in their car for targets of opportunity? Or was it just a fortuitous combination of events, newly-purchased watermelon, guy in Duke T-shirt, give it a shot?

Why a watermelon?

Maybe Gallagher was in town. A prop comic never suffers for his art...alone.

Outlier and other thoughts

Went on a trip to SE Asia this winter with a tour group and one of those on the tour was a very nice person who went to un-cheats.

For me the best day of the NCAA Tournament is when Duke wins it all, very good days are when Duke wins the game. Days un-cheats lose are also very good days.

I love thought of all those carolina fans driving home from Charlotte after that beating.

SoCal

...I'm out running and wearing a Duke t-shirt.
    Seriously. A watermelon.

Why a watermelon?
    Because they won it at the county fair for kissing a pig? And the pig was their cousin?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Poor babies.

So, an outlier. I hope.

Seriously. A watermelon.

Why a watermelon?

Inquiring minds want to know the fate of said watermelon. Did it just bounce in the grass or did it explode impressively? Were you able to quench your thirst with any surviving portions? Was there alcohol involved?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Was there alcohol involved?
    I’m gonna go out on a limb and say yes.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Inquiring minds want to know the fate of said watermelon. Did it just bounce in the grass or did it explode impressively? Were you able to quench your thirst with any surviving portions? Was there alcohol involved?
    Ka-blooey!!

Watermelon meets road. Road wins.

Poor babies.

So, an outlier. I hope.

Seriously. A watermelon.

Why a watermelon?

If it had been guns and drugs thrown out of the car, I would suspect P.J. Hairston.