Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Miller might need a work furlough to coach during the next 12-20 years. And his interstate travel severely limited.

How in the world could these kids be so loyal to Kevin Stallings that they'd request transfer?
    Were they? Or did they hate Stallings so much that they hated all of Pitt basketball and wanted to leave regardless?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

How in the world could these kids be so loyal to Kevin Stallings that they'd request transfer?
    If I played through the season that Pitt did, and then now they were changing coaches, I might just say to hell with it, too. Try my fortune somewhere else due to bad karma. I don't blame them.

My feeling about grad transfers is that as long as it's an option, it should be free market. They can suit up for another school as long as they have eligibility and meet entry requirement to the new school, and they should be allowed to play right away. They would need to maintain their full-time school standing with the school to play. That being said, if there was a rule that grad students could not play college hoops unless it was the same school that you got your degree, I'd be OK with that. Outlaw grad transfers outright. If you want to transfer, transfer while you are an undergrad. Again, you could play right away as long as there's eligibility, meeting entry requirements, maintain full-time standing, etc.

Coach K is dead wrong on the transfer issue. Not that I'll ever have to confront him for daring to disagree with him, but he's falling into the same trap that everyone else who defends the current transfer rules falls into: defending (only) the rights of the coaches and schools without even a sniff of defending the rights of the player.

I'm happy that these players have sought out the ability to make their own decisions once the new coach is named, and I'm happier that Pitt learned their lesson from the Cam Johnson debacle and has already granted their releases.

As for Pitt, it can't really get worse for them, but this news means it might take even longer for it to get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Hingeknocker View Post
    Coach K is dead wrong on the transfer issue. Not that I'll ever have to confront him for daring to disagree with him, but he's falling into the same trap that everyone else who defends the current transfer rules falls into: defending (only) the rights of the coaches and schools without even a sniff of defending the rights of the player.
    I don't think he's ignoring even a "sniff of" the rights of players at all. He is worried about mass chaos happening as a result, a mass chaos that would damage the game for 100% of the players. You may disagree with him, but it is absurd to say there is no player consideration on K's part.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I don't think he's ignoring even a "sniff of" the rights of players at all. He is worried about mass chaos happening as a result, a mass chaos that would damage the game for 100% of the players. You may disagree with him, but it is absurd to say there is no player consideration on K's part.
    What is this "mass chaos?" All those four year seniors who aren't talented enough to play at the next level, but smart and dedicated enough to graduate on time or early, who want to keep getting a free education and playing basketball? Sounds like mostly motivated, smart young men who have earned another year of free education. They are actually using the system to its intended purpose.

As far as K's perspective, well, he is a coach, not a student athlete. Nothing against him, but his priorities are necessarily different.

Sorry, I see the grad school transfer as a necessarily good thing. If we suddenly have piles of dubious kids who are "gaming the system" to, um, get an extra year of free education and play for a different school, I guess I will examine again.

Are we trying to keep kids in school or out of school? I sometimes lose track of where our paternalism towards these players draws lines.

Pitt losing seven players and a key recruit

I am not sure I have seen this before. Pitt is losing seven players who are seeking transfers, and a 4 star recruit as well. The three players remaining played a collective total of just over 185 minutes this year. This is sad, because unlike Louisville, which I though a poor fit academically and culturally for the ACC, I think Pitt a good fit for the ACC. Pitt has had good teams since the 70’s, with Sam Clancy, a future NFL player, really holding his own with Gminski in a victory over Duke. And lots of good teams since then.

How did they end up here? Do they recruit junior college guys like crazy to fill a roster?

I believe I recently read that Pitt had a few players on the ACC All-Academic team.Give Stallings credit for that. Flip the coin and Pitt was not very good on the court. All told - what a mess the last AD made. Steve Peterson sent Pitt back to the Stone Age with this hire. Will Pitt be willing to pay the freight to hire a successful coach and give him the resources to be competitive?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Except that just happened this past year with Cam Johnson going to UNC from Pitt. (Pitt said they were going to block it, but then eventually acquiesced to Johnson's and UNC's demands. I realize a grad transfer is technically different than undergrad though.)
    The grad transfer is critical.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    I believe I recently read that Pitt had a few players on the ACC All-Academic team.Give Stallings credit for that. Flip the coin and Pitt was not very good on the court. ...
    So, the antithesis of everything unc stands for?

So, the antithesis of everything unc stands for?
    lol cheat players can't even read or write but still win finish with 4.0 GPA like mccants! can't believe the cheats get away with everything!