2018 NIT tourney

Not sure where to post this, so will make a collector thread here.

Wojo beat Tommy tonight. Marquette 67, Harvard 60.

The tournament is using quarters instead of halves as an experimental rule. Not my cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

The tournament is using quarters instead of halves as an experimental rule. Not my cup of tea.
    Except every form of basketball uses quarters except the NCAA men’s game.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Except every form of basketball uses quarters except the NCAA men’s game.
    So by process of elimination, OldPhiKap’s cup of tea is NCAA men’s basketball. Mystery solved.

The USC-UNCA game last night was a marathon.

I think better quality of play might make it more interesting. I don't mind it too much.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

It does seem sorta amusing to me... "sorry your team didn't make the actual tournament that people watch. Let's make you guinea pigs for some rules we've been considering."

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    It does seem sorta amusing to me... "sorry your team didn't make the actual tournament that people watch. Let's make you guinea pigs for some rules we've been considering."
    The NIT is like those second and third tier bowl games...a lot more useful and exciting for some programs than for others.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    The NIT is like those second and third tier bowl games...a lot more useful and exciting for some programs than for others.
    I feel a bit nostalgic following the NIT. It brings me back to the days of Sendek and 4 straight trips to the NIT. Ah, good days. We even made it to the Final Four one year! And who says Sendek never accomplished anything?

Penn State/Notre Dame should be a decent game Saturday at noon. PSU is #29 in the SRS, and ND #39. PSU is 9-5 in its last 14 games and ND is 8-4 in its last 12.

This is one reason Harvard lost. With a chance to cut it to 3 with 20 seconds left, Harvard appeared to throw the ball out of bounds...

...but what really happened was the ref ran into a Harvard player, making him unable to catch the pass for an open 3-pointer. I'd say this is sub-optimal refereeing.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    This is one reason Harvard lost. With a chance to cut it to 3 with 20 seconds left, Harvard appeared to throw the ball out of bounds...

...but what really happened was the ref ran into a Harvard player, making him unable to catch the pass for an open 3-pointer. I'd say this is sub-optimal refereeing.
    Okay... In THAT case, fans can complain about refs.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

The ref should have been whistled for a moving screen.