Spoof: Favorite Player Poll: George Burgin vs. Marty Nessley

My vote to Marty. I don't know if there was a bigger fan favorite mop-up guy, at least in terms of a player whose potential and subsequent development diverged so greatly. Usually, when Marty N came in, that was the signal that the game was over for the opponent. But at rare times - starter foul trouble for instance - he had to fill in, and we cheered him on hard. A classmate of mine once remarked that he was a player that, when receiving the ball 3 feet from the basket, would generally not go strong to the rim for a dunk. Instead, he'd take one dribble, and, if it wasn't stolen, would shoot a fall-away short jumper (not often connecting). But we loved him - he almost never cost us games, b/c he seldom got in with the game on the line. Anything he could give us was icing on the cake.

IIRC Marty also had his career high (by a lot - about 25 pts) in Duke's all-time biggest blowout victory, a 76-pt margin vs. Harvard over winter break one year. Nessley Crunch, it was termed. But that was at Harvard, so the Crazies could not easily celebrate with him.

George - I think he was in my year, though in Engineering, and by all accounts he was super-nice and super-smart. But he seldom got off the pine.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    My vote to Marty. I don't know if there was a bigger fan favorite mop-up guy, at least in terms of a player whose potential and subsequent development diverged so greatly. Usually, when Marty N came in, that was the signal that the game was over for the opponent. But at rare times - starter foul trouble for instance - he had to fill in, and we cheered him on hard. A classmate of mine once remarked that he was a player that, when receiving the ball 3 feet from the basket, would generally not go strong to the rim for a dunk. Instead, he'd take one dribble, and, if it wasn't stolen, would shoot a fall-away short jumper (not often connecting). But we loved him - he almost never cost us games, b/c he seldom got in with the game on the line. Anything he could give us was icing on the cake.

IIRC Marty also had his career high (by a lot - about 25 pts) in Duke's all-time biggest blowout victory, a 76-pt margin vs. Harvard over winter break one year. Nessley Crunch, it was termed. But that was at Harvard, so the Crazies could not easily celebrate with him.

George - I think he was in my year, though in Engineering, and by all accounts he was super-nice and super-smart. But he seldom got off the pine.
    Nessley - much more of an impact player.

Marty, was the inspiration for the "Marty doesn't foul" chant. If you aren't old enough to remember Marty, the cheer was intended to be ironic.

Burgin, an excellent studdent. on the other hand, is the alleged author of one of my favorite Duke one-liners. Walking down the street, someone approachs the seven-footer and asks him if he's a basketball player. His response "no, but I am a rocket scientist."

So call it a draw.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Marty, was the inspiration for the "Marty doesn't foul" chant. If you aren't old enough to remember Marty, the cheer was intended to be ironic.

Burgin, an excellent studdent. on the other hand, is the alleged author of one of my favorite Duke one-liners. Walking down the street, someone approachs the seven-footer and asks him if he's a basketball player. His response "no, but I am a rocket scientist."

So call it a draw.
    George was a good friend of mine at Duke, he actually attended my wedding many years ago though we have not now spoken in years. Anyway, the "alleged" story is 100% true because George worked for GE Aerospace. When he would say, "I'm a rocket scientist" he was not lying.

My favorite George one-liner though came one night after he had hooked up with a nice duke lady and some of us asked him what his secret was. He held up his extremely large hands and said, "magic fingers."

Writing this makes me think of a few more George stories, but they are largely R-rated.

I am voting for George though because he sometimes would give me player tickets to away games and tickets are certainly worth a vote!!

--Jason "they're not booing, they'll yelling Buuuurgin, Buuurgin!!" Evans

George was also my year [correction, year after] and a friend. Really great and smart guy. But on the basketball court Nessley was the man. We would go crazy when he was in the game. Which unfortunately for the team, was a lot in '87. Plus I remember myself scoring a driving layup against George, which at 6'3'', I should never be able to do against a 7 footer.

I demand Ron Burt be included in this discussion. Ron played in a national championship game!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    George was a good friend of mine at Duke, he actually attended my wedding many years ago though we have not now spoken in years. Anyway, the "alleged" story is 100% true because George worked for GE Aerospace. When he would say, "I'm a rocket scientist" he was not lying.

My favorite George one-liner though came one night after he had hooked up with a nice duke lady and some of us asked him what his secret was. He held up his extremely large hands and said, "magic fingers."

Writing this makes me think of a few more George stories, but they are largely R-rated.

I am voting for George though because he sometimes would give me player tickets to away games and tickets are certainly worth a vote!!

--Jason "they're not booing, they'll yelling Buuuurgin, Buuurgin!!" Evans

I met George - he was Sr. when I was a freshman, and he lived in the dorm of the fraternity that I'd pledged. Super nice guy, and super large hands! (I shook hands with him; he could literally engulf mine.)

Very smart too - I am told he was so bad a bball that even at 7'1" he was pretty much a body in IM/pickup games. You can't coach height, but you can't coach talent either.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

Also, some students convinced Al McGuire that his nickname was "The Puma." McGuire referred to Marty by that nickname a few times during the game when he was in.

LMFAO.

What is the name of his restaurant in Durham?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    What is the name of his restaurant in Durham?
    Marty's restaurant is the Sunset Grille, with a location in Durham and one in Cary. http://www.sunsetgrilledurham.com/

I love their Sunset Chips, and Big Marty's Ribs are delicious!

My vote in this poll goes to Marty -- but I'm very biased. I met him on his recruiting trip, and he and I have been friends since. He's a great guy with a big heart. And a *great* restaurant!

- della

I'm going with the "Human Victory Cigar". Marty.

Nessley was, of course, a much better player than Burgin. Nessley had some moments as a senior, especially a 10-point, 9-rebound game against St. Joe's.
    His 4 points and 3 rebounds per game that year were not negligible.

That said, I've always thought that the fact that Nessley played in the NBA while his classmate Tommy Amaker didn't is one way the deity has of showing his/her sense of humor.

Marty wins for the court performances by a wide margin, (both good and not-so-good performances), and as a Cameron Favorite, but I didn't know him personally. George I did know from summer school in Big Red one year, and for off-the-court performance, he wins hands down. Truly nice guy.

Marty by a nose.
    Class of Billy King and Chris Moreland

Marty. No contest.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com