Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

NCAA 2018 Tournament Map

Reddit has been doing college imperialism maps this year for both football and basketball. The principle is that each school is assigned counties based on geographic proximity* and then as teams win games, they conquer the losing team's land. From the start of the season, there are only 14 schools left with land heading into the tournament, but I thought I would re-start the map using just the 68 tournament teams. I'm going to try to update this in real time as tournament results come in. Let's hope the map is awash in Duke Blue in 3 weeks.

*measured by using the great circle distance from the school's basketball arena to the geographic center of the county. This explains why, for example, Duke (not UNC) gets Orange County (Cameron is a mile closer to the center of Orange County than the Smith Center).

Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

I am a visual person and love these maps during the season.

They do need to check their geography however. U Penn and the Palestra are located in downtown Philly. Villanova and the Pavilion are located in the western suburbs. This means New Jersey should be colored for Penn and South Eastern Pa for Villanova.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post

They do need to check their geography however. U Penn and the Palestra are located in downtown Philly. Villanova and the Pavilion are located in the western suburbs. This means New Jersey should be colored for Penn and South Eastern Pa for Villanova.
    The map is created using the home arena for each team. With The Pavilion under construction, Nova's official home arena is the Wells Fargo Center this year.

WFC is in the Sports Complex south and east of the Palestra. So I think the map is correct
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Not sure I can decipher the logo, but New England looks like it's reigned by the New England Patriots, which is a bit confusing. As for parts of western Vermont being influenced by
    Syracuse, let me just say this: no.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Not sure I can decipher the logo, but New England looks like it's reigned by the New England Patriots, which is a bit confusing. As for parts of western Vermont being influenced by
    Syracuse, let me just say this: no.
    Hopefully in a few days, you'll recognize the Providence FRIARS when the beat UNC!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    The map is created using the home arena for each team. With The Pavilion under construction, Nova's official home arena is the Wells Fargo Center this year.

WFC is in the Sports Complex south and east of the Palestra. So I think the map is correct
    You're both right. If you used the Pavilion instead of Wells Fargo, the counties would fully swap, plus Villanova would pick up Cecil County in NE Maryland from UMBC.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Hopefully in a few days, you'll recognize the Providence FRIARS when the beat UNC!
    Ha, good grief, I've lived in New England for almost half a century and have met one Friars fan during that time..let's just hope the logo we're not looking at too much is that of the
    Rhode Island Rams, as at least one of their logos looks godawful similar to that of the creeps eight miles down the road.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    They won't get the chance.

They're going to beat Lipscomb instead. (Check my bracket in the Yahoo bracket challenge.)

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Not sure I can decipher the logo, but New England looks like it's reigned by the New England Patriots
    Looks like they cheated again.

Radford defeats Long Island to take over the smallest geographical land mass of any of the 68 teams (look for the change from black to red at the corner of Long Island and eastern NJ).

Bonnies conquer the coast, taking out UCLA and claiming Hawaii in the process.

Both of the 16/16 play-in games ended up changing just tiny spots of land on the map. This one is right next door to Duke - Durham County is under Mike Davis's control (at least for a couple days) which gives me bad 2002 flashbacks.

The ACC extends its expansion to the desert:

These are really cool and I bet you will have trouble keeping up starting tomorrow. I would expect end of day updates at the most.

Also, how are there only 14 teams left in the one that started at the beginning of the year? Can you show that one and explain what is going on with it?
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    These are really cool and I bet you will have trouble keeping up starting tomorrow. I would expect end of day updates at the most.

Also, how are there only 14 teams left in the one that started at the beginning of the year? Can you show that one and explain what is going on with it?
    On Reddit they just do 1 per day at the end of the day. Makes a bit less sense to do it that way during the tourney but yeah doing one after every game is probably not that realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by akg4y View Post
    On Reddit they just do 1 per day at the end of the day. Makes a bit less sense to do it that way during the tourney but yeah doing one after every game is probably not that realistic.
    Believe it or not, it takes about 5-10 minutes to update the map after each game (will take a little longer once there is more consolidation), so I'm going to try to do one after each game. We'll see if it sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    At the start of the season, every county was assigned to the closest team to the center - that resulted in something like 324 of the 351 teams owning land.* Every time one team beats another team that has land, they take the land. Early in the season, there is a lot of consolidation because a lot of teams that both have land play each other. Later in the season, consolidated tracts of land tend to just get passed around from one team to another - in particular, because it's unusual that more than 1 or 2 teams in any conference goes into conference play with land. By this point in the year, pretty much every county has been passed around at least 6-7 times, and some as many as 20. There's a GIF of the maps at the end of every day of the season that shows how things have passed around (I do not have the time to do the full season one - that's a lot more work).

*Oddly enough, the NCAA tournament has FOUR teams who did not start with land on the all-schools map: UCLA, Loyola Chicago, Cal State Fullerton, and UNC Greensboro.
    Last edited by pfrduke; 03-15-2018 at 02:57 AM.

Wow, some teams sure have huge tracts of land.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    Wow, some teams sure have huge tracts of land.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?