Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This Week in the ACC: Post-Season Week 1

Twelve ACC teams are enjoying post-season play - 9 in the big dance and 3 in the NIT. Farewell to Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, and Pittsburgh, we'll see you all in November.

Here's the lineup for the week. I've included the first games only - after all, it's one-and-done territory - but will update it during the week as results warrant.

Tuesday
    [33]Louisville (-10) hosts [95]Northern Kentucky (7:00, ESPN)
    [73]Boston College (+5) at [60]Western Kentucky (8:00, ESPN3)
    [31]Notre Dame (-20) hosts [246]Hampton (9:00, ESPN)

Wednesday
    [54]Syracuse (+1) vs. [45]Arizona State in Dayton (9:10, TruTV)

Thursday
    [3]Duke (-19) vs. [134]Iona in Pittsburgh (2:45, CBS)
    [36]Miami (-1) vs. [41]Loyola-Chicago in Dallas (3:10, TruTV)
    [42]NC State (+1) vs. [26]Seton Hall in Wichita (4:30, TBS)
    [32]Virginia Tech (-2) vs. [51]Alabama in Pittsburgh (9:20, TNT)

Friday
    [7]North Carolina (-19) vs. [165]Lipscomb in Charlotte (2:45, CBS)
    [1]Virginia (-20) vs. [184]UMBC in Charlotte (9:20, TNT)
    [35]Florida State (-1) vs. [38]Missouri in Nashville (9:50, TBS)
    [19]Clemson (-5) vs. [55]New Mexico State in San Diego (9:57, TruTV)
    Last edited by pfrduke; 03-15-2018 at 01:59 AM.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

N.I.T

Watching Notre Dame play Hampton.

Also, the NCAA is using the NIT as a guinea pig to test out a few ideas.

Here's a run-down of the tweaks:

​• The three-point line will be extended by approximately 1 foot 8 inches to the same distance used by FIBA for international competition (22 feet 1.75 inches).
    ​• The free throw lane will be widened from 12 feet to 16 feet, consistent with the width used by the NBA.
    ​• The games will be divided into four 10-minute quarters as opposed to two 20-minute halves. Teams will shoot two free throws beginning with the fifth foul of each quarter.
    • The shot clock will reset to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound instead of the full 30 seconds.

Two out of three advance in the NIT. Their next matchups are below:

Saturday
    [31]Notre Dame (-3) hosts [30]Penn State (12:00, ESPN)

Sunday
    [34]Louisville (-4) hosts [40]Middle Tennessee (6:30, ESPN2)

One more ACC squad to add to the Friday roster. The late game on all four networks will feature ACC teams.

Friday
    [7]North Carolina (-19) vs. [165]Lipscomb in Charlotte (2:45, CBS)
    [1]Virginia (-20) vs. [184]UMBC in Charlotte (9:20, TNT)
    [52]Syracuse (+3) vs. [22]TCU in Detroit (9:40, CBS)
    [35]Florida State (-1) vs. [38]Missouri in Nashville (9:50, TBS)
    [19]Clemson (-5) vs. [55]New Mexico State in San Diego (9:57, TruTV)

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Two out of three advance in the NIT. Their next matchups are below:

Saturday

Sunday
    [34]Louisville (-4) hosts [40]Middle Tennessee (6:30, ESPN2)
    Updated for today’s NCAA results (not great for the ACC).

Saturday
    [3]Duke (-10) vs. [44]Rhode Island in Pittsburgh (2:40, CBS)

Three ACC teams went down in Thursdays round of games. Duke held up our part but Miami, VT and NC State all bit the dust. Does that say anything about the conference. UVA and UNC should win today and Clemson is right in there, so the results should be better. Syracuse can do well in the tournament since their zone D is unlike what a lot of teams see in their regular seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Three ACC teams went down in Thursdays round of games. Duke held up our part but Miami, VT and NC State all bit the dust. Does that say anything about the conference. UVA and UNC should win today and Clemson is right in there, so the results should be better. Syracuse can do well in the tournament since their zone D is unlike what a lot of teams see in their regular seasons.
    Well it's a bit unsettling, but too small a sample size to make firm conclusions. As a Duke fan, I am tired of this dynamic:

...the three teams mentioned above are all among those prioritizing their game with Duke as the Super Bowl and then laying an egg in post season. I get really tired of that. Maybe it's sour grapes, but when they storm the court on those instances when they beat Duke, I'm like "get back to me when you accomplish anything nationally..."

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    IMO, it doesn't say too much about the conference. Those were all basically toss up games. Miami -1, NCST+3.5, and VT -3 were the lines. It would be great if we won and can say the ACC is awesome but I don't lose much sleep beyond Duke winning and UNC losing when it comes to ACC performance. YMMV

I'm disappointed the most in VT. I watched most of that game and VT had 2 key Bama players in foul trouble and was in the bonus with like 12 min left of a tie game. They should have been able to capitalize but kept turning the ball over left and right. Also Bama hit 2 TOUGH shots on consecutive possessions around the 2 min mark that sealed the game.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    IMO, it doesn't say too much about the conference. Those were all basically toss up games.
    State and VT were in 8/9 games so those were definitely coin flips; but Miami as a 6 should have won. With that said, I picked the upset in my bracket as I think a lot of people did; Miami has sort of stumbled to finish out the season. I wonder if that last second three felt like payback for the win they got in Chapel Hill (a tradeoff I will gladly accept )

I was hoping State and VT would advance because they would each have gotten a shot at knocking off a #1 seed in the next round. Oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    State and VT were in 8/9 games so those were definitely coin flips; but Miami as a 6 should have won. With that said, I picked the upset in my bracket as I think a lot of people did; Miami has sort of stumbled to finish out the season. I wonder if that last second three felt like payback for the win they got in Chapel Hill (a tradeoff I will gladly accept )

I was hoping State and VT would advance because they would each have gotten a shot at knocking off a #1 seed in the next round. Oh well...
    Miami was fortunate to do as well as they did without Bruce Brown. I picked this upset, too. Then again, I also picked Ohio St to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Miami was fortunate to do as well as they did without Bruce Brown. I picked this upset, too. Then again, I also picked Ohio St to lose.
    I did too. I was flipflopping between Ohio State and Arizona to lose. I the "pick the biggest upset" thread, I did pick Buffalo. But in my brackets, I didn't do it. Regretting that now.

But pleased to get Loyola upsetting Miami in both (though it was a popular upset pick).

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I did too. I was flipflopping between Ohio State and Arizona to lose. I the "pick the biggest upset" thread, I did pick Buffalo. But in my brackets, I didn't do it. Regretting that now.

But pleased to get Loyola upsetting Miami in both (though it was a popular upset pick).
    I thought Zona had zero chance to lose to Buffalo. Their best non-conference win this season was UAB. They did have a good showing against Syracuse, St. Bonaventure and Cincy in losses, but got blown out by South Dakota St and Texas A&M.

Just goes to show how weird the tournament can be.

Pitt's entire team is transferring, per Jeff Goodman on Twitter.

Seriously. They had 9 non-seniors. 8 are transferring.

In other ACC news, 8 Pitt players are transferring as part of a mass exodus since Stallings is gone. Hopefully all the good ones don’t go to unc.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post

Maybe they can all go to "u"nc .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

That will be the mother of all rebuilding jobs....

*eek*

Not even waiting for the next coach.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    In other ACC news, 8 Pitt players are transferring as part of a mass exodus since Stallings is gone. Hopefully all the good ones don’t go to unc.
    They probably still win more ACC games next year.

I can't imagine why any coach wouldn't want to go there Seriously, Jamie Dixon must be laughing his head off right now.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    They probably still win more ACC games next year.
    Well they can’t win less