Lightbulb Avoiding commercials during Duke tournament games

Hey fellow Duke fans, over the last year, my buddy and I have been working on a mobile app that sends notifications to your phone when a game comes back on TV after a commercial break. We were so tired of sitting through endless ads (especially during the tournament), and then missing plays if we decided to switch away to watch something else. Our app is now available in the App store (iOS only currently), and it is a huge help watching any sport. We used it all day yesterday for the tournament--it helped big time during Duke/Iona--and its a game changer for watching multiple games at once (even streaming, though the stream can be slightly behind TV).

So I wanted to offer this app to my Duke brothers and sisters--hopefully we have a LONG run in this tournament--think about how many commercials we see during one game alone! The app is called SportFlip, and you can download for free in the app store. Here is the link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spor...s/id1185405427

I hope you enjoy the app--if you use it and have any advice for features, please hit me up! GO DEVILS. - Jesse Eisenhardt '01

Just downloaded it. It seems to work, though I'm watching all four games at once so I'm not timing it for the commercials. It does have a side benefit - with notifications on, it updates the score at each TV time out. And it does say when the game is concluded with the final score. I'll try it again when I watch games on a single TV.

I did have some trouble logging in with my FB account. It just wouldn't take, and I kept going in circles. I finally used an email address, and it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinema15 View Post
    Hey fellow Duke fans, over the last year, my buddy and I have been working on a mobile app that sends notifications to your phone when a game comes back on TV after a commercial break. We were so tired of sitting through endless ads (especially during the tournament), and then missing plays if we decided to switch away to watch something else. Our app is now available in the App store (iOS only currently), and it is a huge help watching any sport. We used it all day yesterday for the tournament--it helped big time during Duke/Iona--and its a game changer for watching multiple games at once (even streaming, though the stream can be slightly behind TV).

So I wanted to offer this app to my Duke brothers and sisters--hopefully we have a LONG run in this tournament--think about how many commercials we see during one game alone! The app is called SportFlip, and you can download for free in the app store. Here is the link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spor...s/id1185405427

I hope you enjoy the app--if you use it and have any advice for features, please hit me up! GO DEVILS. - Jesse Eisenhardt '01
    Very cool idea. If I had an iPhone I would take it for a test drive.

Back in 1999 a company named Tivo came up with something that let you get around commercials. Maybe you've heard of it or one of its copycats.
    I have watched very few commercials inside my own home since 1999. Really sucks when I am traveling and watching TV in a hotel.

I'll admit, I DVR it and usually don't watch live.. I start a little late. When/if I catch up to live, I switch to something else when there's a break and watch something else or go get food, etc.

I can't take the stress of sitting through commercials.

Good luck in your venture, but I'll just use my thumb on the remote techniques

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    Just downloaded it. It seems to work, though I'm watching all four games at once so I'm not timing it for the commercials. It does have a side benefit - with notifications on, it updates the score at each TV time out. And it does say when the game is concluded with the final score. I'll try it again when I watch games on a single TV.

I did have some trouble logging in with my FB account. It just wouldn't take, and I kept going in circles. I finally used an email address, and it worked.
    Thanks for letting me know about the FB issue. We will look into it immediately! - Jesse

I think this a great workaround. I'm gonna keep streaming games illegally for now but will definitely pass this along to my dad. He would absolutely love it.

BTW, I don't like that ad with the Blue Devil promoting a mortgage company. It comes too close to using the University's good name to promote a private company. I know the Blue Devil has been in ads before but somehow this one crossed a line for me.

Cinema15, best of luck with the venture.

Like many others here, when watching from home, I try to see the entire game —or rather every live ball play— in less than 50 minutes, so I’m not your target market. But if you can create an app that will update a box score in stride with my pace of play (and pause and rw and ff), please PM me and don’t post about it here or elsewhere until a few days later.