Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

NCAA Tournament picking contest- Degenerate Gamblers allowed!

Time for our NCAA Tournament contest. I'm sure NYBri will win again!

Here is the link to join the contest: https://contests.covers.com/OfficePo...5-a8a100c55ac5
    The password is: GoDuke

If you have not used covers.com before, it is really easy to sign up and get started. This is all for play money but it simulates real gambling because each incorrect bet you make costs you an extra 10% (the vig), so going .500 means you are losing money. You can bet both point spreads and over/under on every game in the tourney. You are allowed 75 wagers per day, which should be enough to cover every single game. Wagers are made in increments of 100 units up to 500 units on each wager.

Any questions, just pose them here and there will be someone to answer them. Good luck to everyone!!

-Jason "we've been on a collective hot streak lately, I think, with lots of folks making many thousands of fake bucks... I wonder if we are all about to come crashing back down to Earth" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

-5000 is still a bust out right?

This is relevant for me.

Also, might be fun to punish folks who accidently bet on NIT games with the intentional loss penalty. I'm available with no frothy consult fees.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Time for our NCAA Tournament contest. I'm sure NYBri will win again!

Here is the link to join the contest: https://contests.covers.com/OfficePo...5-a8a100c55ac5
    The password is: GoDuke

If you have not used covers.com before, it is really easy to sign up and get started. This is all for play money but it simulates real gambling because each incorrect bet you make costs you an extra 10% (the vig), so going .500 means you are losing money. You can bet both point spreads and over/under on every game in the tourney. You are allowed 75 wagers per day, which should be enough to cover every single game. Wagers are made in increments of 100 units up to 500 units on each wager.

Any questions, just pose them here and there will be someone to answer them. Good luck to everyone!!

-Jason "we've been on a collective hot streak lately, I think, with lots of folks making many thousands of fake bucks... I wonder if we are all about to come crashing back down to Earth" Evans
    Thanks for doing this, Jason.

This contest requires much more wild guessing than the ACC contest. Almost impossible to get a bead on teams playing out of conference on neutral courts at all hours. Over/under is a total guess.

Maybe I'm blind - but is the a link to a bracket contest too? I feel like we usually have a group on Yahoo.

Edit: I found it in this thread: http://forums.dukebasketballreport.c...cket-Challenge

Leaving this post up in case others look in this thread for the DBR Bracket Challenge.

Another question: are we betting on the "first four" as well?

Quote Originally Posted by peterjswift View Post
    Another question: are we betting on the "first four" as well?
    Yup, for sure. In fact, there is a "sure thing" I see in today's games.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Bump

Yup, for sure. In fact, there is a "sure thing" I see in today's games.
    By the way, my "sure thing" missed... sigh.

After being the first - and ONLY, I think - one to exit the ACC pickin' contest, I am now 8 for 8 in this contest. And what do I currently have to show for it? I'm in second place, looking up at Troublemaker. Yowzers.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Wave Dukie View Post
    After being the first - and ONLY, I think - one to exit the ACC pickin' contest, I am now 8 for 8 in this contest. And what do I currently have to show for it? I'm in second place, looking up at Troublemaker. Yowzers.
    Amazing.

After pretty much giving up hope of winning on my Duke under bet (157.5) at halftime, I think the teams combined to score 8 points in the last 4 minutes, and with Justin missing the free throws at the end, then the Gael's missing that last 3 pointer, I got EXTREMELY lucky, won the under, and am now sitting at 10 for 10.

And I just fell further behind Trouble!!!

PAC12 is 0-3 and out of the tournament before the end of the first day.

Has that ever happened to a major conference before? I'd say they should be relegated to mid-major status, but the mid-majors wouldn't want to be associated with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Wave Dukie View Post
    Amazing.

After pretty much giving up hope of winning on my Duke under bet (157.5) at halftime, I think the teams combined to score 8 points in the last 4 minutes, and with Justin missing the free throws at the end, then the Gael's missing that last 3 pointer, I got EXTREMELY lucky, won the under, and am now sitting at 10 for 10.

And I just fell further behind Trouble!!!
    Nice 11-0 day, Green Wave!

AND you ended up with the lead.

**applause**

Bowing out!

At -5100 I'm out of the contest.

I submitted picks for every Friday game before I knew this score. But regardless of what happens today, I'm done and first out. Just assume score frozen at -5100 or worse.

(I just tried, but I don't see any way to unmake or delete all these pending picks?).

Good luck to all!

(And watch out NYBri, I'm becoming more convinced that Trouble is also a wiseguy! )

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Bowing out!

At -5100 I'm out of the contest.

I submitted picks for every Friday game before I knew this score. But regardless of what happens today, I'm done and first out. Just assume score frozen at -5100 or worse.

(I just tried, but I don't see any way to unmake or delete all these pending picks?).

Good luck to all!

(And watch out NYBri, I'm becoming more convinced that Trouble is also a wiseguy! )
    Why does this NOT surprise me?

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I find myself in 1st Place by a whooping $100 over Troublemaker. Today's wagers have been placed:

Bob Green

Do not forget to make your wagers, DBR degenerative gamblers. The contest isn't over.
    Bob Green

The contest for first place is over. Sorry, Bob and others, but I doubt I'll be playing the national championship game, thus sealing the win for me.

It's a slight relief. I've been hearing whispers of being the BGTNWAM, and while it hasn't affected my play yet, it could in future competitions the longer I go without winning a major. We play 3 majors a year -- pre-ACC, ACC, and NCAAT -- and it's good to finally bag one.

I'm under no illusions that this is the most prestigious event though. The NCAAT major is like the PGA championship. It's the last one of year and while they all count as 1 major, it's arguably the one the golfers least want to win. The pre-ACC contest is like the British open. Venues near water (e.g. Maui, Atlantis) are often involved, and you have to be able to click on links to win (because early in the season, the teams are still unfamiliar, and you want to find out what their starting lineups are and stuff like that).

The ACC contest is like the Masters and arguably the most prestigious. The Masters is always played in Augusta, and the ACC contest is only played using ACC teams, so mastery of those specific 18 holes or 15 teams is required.

NYBri owns 2 green jackets, and hopefully next season he will be putting one on me. Like I said, it helps that I've won my maiden major this season, so the pressure's off a bit now. No more BGTNWAM whispers.

Congratulations and nicely played!

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    The contest for first place is over.

Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Congratulations and nicely played!
    Thanks, Bob. You had a great run yourself.

By the way, my "sure thing" missed... sigh.
    Your sure things seem to be working out pretty well today. Impressive, Jason.