Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

NCAAT per conference performance

Let's use this thread to talk about overall conference performance. I only got the idea for this due to an espn article mentioning that the entire PAC-#sDontMatter is out of the NCAAT!!! They finished 0-3, and their highest seeded entrant, #4 Arizona got bounced by Bobby Hurley's former team, Buffalo.

ACC- is 2-3 so far. SYR won their play-in game, and Duke hammered Iona. Otherwise, a very disappointing showing from our other ACC brethren, particularly Miami and VaTech who both lost by just 2 pts. That hurt my brackets a lot.

SEC- is really showing with a 4-0 record so far. That also hurts my brackets a lot, as i pegged the SEC as a low-performer due to my irrational loathing of the SEC.

The rest of the conferences are too much for me to collate right now, so have at it DBR!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Let's use this thread to talk about overall conference performance. I only got the idea for this due to an espn article mentioning that the entire PAC-#sDontMatter is out of the NCAAT!!! They finished 0-3, and their highest seeded entrant, #4 Arizona got bounced by Bobby Hurley's former team, Buffalo.

ACC- is 2-3 so far. SYR won their play-in game, and Duke hammered Iona. Otherwise, a very disappointing showing from our other ACC brethren, particularly Miami and VaTech who both lost by just 2 pts. That hurt my brackets a lot.

SEC- is really showing with a 4-0 record so far. That also hurts my brackets a lot, as i pegged the SEC as a low-performer due to my irrational loathing of the SEC.

The rest of the conferences are too much for me to collate right now, so have at it DBR!!!
    It's one thing when your conference doesn't have a team make it to the second weekend, another thing when they don't have a team make it to the second DAY!

What does Trippin' Balls Bill Walton say ad nauseam? The Conference of Champions?

I guess ESPN has pulled down their feature about how the SEC was looking at an early exit....

Ok, I'll bite:

Power Conferences:
    ACC: 2-3
    Big 12: 2-1
    Big East: 2-0
    Big Ten: 2-0
    Pac-12: 0-3
    SEC: 4-0

Other Conferences:
    A-10: 2-2
    AAC: 1-0
    Big Sky: 0-1
    Big South: 1-1
    Horizon: 0-1
    Ivy: 0-1
    MAAC: 0-1
    MAC: 1-0
    MEAC: 0-1
    MVC: 1-0
    MWC: 0-1
    NEC: 0-1
    Southern: 0-1
    Southland: 0-1
    Summit: 0-1
    SWAC: 1-0
    WCC: 1-0
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Yeah, I had both Miami and VT making it to the Sweet 16 (you heard me)...and so far those are my only two Sweet 16 picks to go down. I was oh-so-close on Davidson over Kentucky, but at least Buffalo over AZ panned out.

Speaking of upsets, can anyone explain why I keep seeing references to an "upset" with regards to Rhode Island beating Oklahoma? I mean I get that Oklahoma may have been favored, but I have always understood "upset" in the context of the NCAA Tourney to refer almost exclusively to seeding. Maybe it's just me.

ACC definitely not a great showing so far, fortunately everyone is too busy talking about the PAC-12 to focus on it (and we still have time to turn things around if everything goes well today). SEC is doing annoyingly well but hasn't really shown anything other than that they can beat who they should be expected to beat. Not expecting any SEC team to make a deep run.

Speaking of deep runs, my hot take is no Big East teams in the Final Four.

Two thoughts: I'm not happy that the ACC has 3 teams out already. Secondly, there is nothing irrational about loathing the SEC

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    What does Trippin' Balls Bill Walton say ad nauseam? The Conference of Champions?
    AAC and A10 are consistently better than the Pac-12 these days. When do we start considering the Pac-12 a mid major conference?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post

Speaking of upsets, can anyone explain why I keep seeing references to an "upset" with regards to Rhode Island beating Oklahoma? I mean I get that Oklahoma may have been favored, but I have always understood "upset" in the context of the NCAA Tourney to refer almost exclusively to seeding. Maybe it's just me.
    It's not just you. OKLA wasn't even favored -- the 1.5 point spread was for the URI rams: https://www.oddsshark.com/ncaab/okla...15-2018-965265. All of this talk about an upset is entirely driven by the Trae Young/ESPN hype machine. Vegas and the computers know better -- we should too.

The Pac-12 is just awful right now. Only 3 teams in and none of them win their 1st round game. And 2 out of 3 were the play-in games. Imagine if the AZ FBI rumors turn out to be true, AZ's program would take a huge hit... It's as-if the Pac-12 should be considered a mid-major hoops conference, really. The WCC could be considered a better conference. The Zags are a perennial tourney selection and winner, and if St Mary's just schedules a little better, they could often be in as well. If St. Mary's and Stanford meet in the NIT, that might be of interest... Actually no. The Bay Area has the worst sports fan base I've ever seen. They will ignore it.

My few UCLA friends that care about hoops were embarrassed to play in Dayton - they said that they would have liked to turn it down (wouldn't ever happen, but I get the feeling).

Conference of Champions is the ACC, not the Pac-12.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    [/I]

Its an upset to most people who dont pay attention to basketball *cough/ millennial's /cough* and go off of name only. OU is this big name team with a big name player. It has to be an upset for a team that most people have never heard of, needless to say the state, to beat a big name program like OU. People can't fathom other teams are better than bad power conference teams.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Two thoughts: I'm not happy that the ACC has 3 teams out already. Secondly, there is nothing irrational about loathing the SEC

Yea, but two of them won their "super bowls" by beating Duke and storming their courts .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Yea, but two of them won their "super bowls" by beating Duke and storming their courts .
    good for them. Last I checked, there is no wikipedia page for "Teams that beat duke in the regular season" like there is for NCAA champions.
    1200. DDMF.

Updated through the first half of Friday:

Power Conferences:
    ACC: 3-3
    Big 12: 3-2
    Big East: 3-1
    Big Ten: 3-0
    SEC: 5-1

Other Conferences:
    AAC: 2-1
    A-Sun: 0-1
    Big West: 0-1
    CUSA: 1-0
    MWC: 1-1
    OVC: 0-1
    Sun Belt: 0-1
    SWAC: 1-0

could care less about the acc...

as long as we are the only representative in the final four. not sure the obsession about ppl's desire to have good representation every year. we have been more than well represented multiple years in a row especially since the expansion and its obviously to anyone that its the premier college bball conference. i honestly hate all other acc teams (having to play them throughout the year breeds hatred) and am happy when they lose early in the tourney!

Quote Originally Posted by jbay201 View Post
    as long as we are the only representative in the final four. not sure the obsession about ppl's desire to have good representation every year. we have been more than well represented multiple years in a row especially since the expansion and its obviously to anyone that its the premier college bball conference. i honestly hate all other acc teams (having to play them throughout the year breeds hatred) and am happy when they lose early in the tourney!
    Some feel pride in the ACC's tournament success because they are just fans of the conference and it's history. Some also think it validates the strength of Duke's schedule and the competitiveness of the ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by jbay201 View Post
    It matters for multiple reasons. Money for one. More teams advancing through the tournament means more money for all teams in the Conference. League reputation plays a big role in recruitment for Duke -- especially when we go head to head vs teams like Kentucky. Best players want to play against the best competition. If ACC teams begin to perform poorly in the tournament consistently, the perception that it's the best league will change. That hurts Duke in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by duke4ever19 View Post
    Some feel pride in the ACC's tournament success because they are just fans of the conference and it's history. Some also think it validates the strength of Duke's schedule and the competitiveness of the ACC.
    Quote Originally Posted by rolm View Post
    It matters for multiple reasons. Money for one. More teams advancing through the tournament means more money for all teams in the Conference. League reputation plays a big role in recruitment for Duke -- especially when we go head to head vs teams like Kentucky. Best players want to play against the best competition. If ACC teams begin to perform poorly in the tournament consistently, the perception that it's the best league will change. That hurts Duke in the long run.
    Both of these posters are spot on.

Except if it's Carolina. They can lose in the first round, or even not get in the tourney. Actually, a Duke fantasy would be for Duke to be the #1 seed, wins the tourney, while UNC is one of the last team in, plays in the First Four on Tuesday and loses to a team coached by Duke alumni... Ahhh, excuse me, I need to be alone now.

9F

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    Both of these posters are spot on.

Except if it's Carolina. They can lose in the first round, or even not get in the tourney. Actually, a Duke fantasy would be for Duke to be the #1 seed, wins the tourney, while UNC is one of the last team in, plays in the First Four on Tuesday and loses to a team coached by Duke alumni... Ahhh, excuse me, I need to be alone now.

9F
    First, I hope UNCheat loses every game they ever play in every single sport. I'm bummed they beat Lipscom today. I want Duke to win and the other conference teams to do well. I went to grad school at Clemson and I'd like to see them do well. Plus the stronger our conference is (except UNCheat) the better it is for Duke (better seeding, rankings, tv coverage, chicks, beers, education lottery scratch offs, etc).

Total after the first round:

Power Conferences:
    ACC: 6-4
    Big 12: 4-3
    Big East: 4-2
    Big Ten: 4-0
    SEC: 6-2

Other Conferences:
    AAC: 2-1
    America East: 1-0
    A-Sun: 0-1
    Big West: 0-1
    Colonial: 0-1
    CUSA: 1-0
    MWC: 1-1
    OVC: 0-1
    Patriot: 0-1
    Sun Belt: 0-1
    SWAC: 1-1
    WAC: 0-1