0 0%
  • New Mexico St

0 0%
  • Charleston

0 0%
  • Bucknell/Iona/Penn

0 0%
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

NCAA Midwest collector thread (Kansas #1 seed, Duke #2)

Post your thoughts about the Midwest region here. And don't forget to vote in the poll for who will win this bracket.

-Jason
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Michigan State or Duke will win the region IMO.

Looks like Duke's path/match up situation is better than Virginia's (who got screwed) and not as easy as the cheats (of course).

From ESPN

55. Iona Gaels
    The Gaels love to push the pace -- 16 games with 73 or more possessions (the average is 68.5, per KenPom.com) -- and let the 3-pointers fly (38.8 percent from beyond the arc). And that's a great way to author a memorable performance in a thrilling opening-round game. Surrendering a 51.4 percent clip inside the arc, however, is a good way to go home after your first game.
    Seems like a perfect matchup for Duke. Should be a beat down. Should be.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post

Looks like Duke's path/match up situation is better than Virginia's (who got screwed) and not as easy as the cheats (of course).
    Providence is playing well. Should have beat Villa.

Potential second round with Rhode Island, 5th in the nation in turnover percentage. If both get there, Duke can't be as loose with the ball as they have been.

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    Potential second round with Rhode Island, 5th in the nation in turnover percentage. If both get there, Duke can't be as loose with the ball as they have been.
    Duke has a history of tough games with Rhode Island.

Quote Originally Posted by ipatent View Post
    Duke has a history of tough games with Rhode Island.
    If I"m not mistaken, they almost beat Bill Foster's 78 team in an early round....

I agree, State will win the region... Just not Michigan State.

%)

Why? I get that UK/Zona in the S16 is potentially a tough matchup but are they tougher than MSU? And I'd rather play Cincy or Tennessee than Kansas in Omaha.

I think people are overstating how difficult UVA's region is.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Why? I get that UK/Zona in the S16 is potentially a tough matchup but are they tougher than MSU? And I'd rather play Cincy or Tennessee than Kansas in Omaha.

I completely agree. If UVA plays Cinn, what do you think the over/under would be?

If I"m not mistaken, they almost beat Bill Foster's 78 team in an early round...
    We did in fact play Rhode Island in the 1st round in Charlotte in 78. I was there, and it was definitely a competitive game. But I do not remember being "almost beaten".

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post

Well two things:
    A: UVa earned an easier path (theoretically) as #1 overall than Duke earned as what, #7 overall? So it's not apples to apples.

B:
    I agree, I don't love the potential MSU match up for Duke...but my gut feel is that UK and Arizona are going to be better than expected - UK has finally figured out how to play with their talent, and Arizona is mega talented and going to have the biggest chip on their shoulder of any team in the tournament IMO. I think the over all number one seed should not have been paired with those. I could see either of those teams winning it all.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    We did in fact play Rhode Island in the 1st round in Charlotte in 78. I was there, and it was definitely a competitive game. But I do not remember being "almost beaten".
    It was 63-62

Penn is one of the better 16 seeds I can recall. If it's ever going to happen...

I was there, too! But I don't remember much other than the fact that we won because I was like 10 years old. I do distinctly remember being appalled that we had to play a team with UNC colors - yuck! Scarred for life!!!

I voted for Duke but did so mostly with my heart, rather than my head. I kind of hate that we might have to play MSU because, A) They're really good and B) We already played them this year. I hate when the committee does stuff like that. I honestly believe we can beat anyone IF we limit TO's to no more than 12 AND shoot at least 30% from three.

Didn’t we win by 1 and Rhody took the last shot? This is from my feeble memory.

I don't look past Iona. Not al all. But would you rather Oklahoma or rhody? And why?

I was there . . . .

If I"m not mistaken, they almost beat Bill Foster's 78 team in an early round...
    in Charlotte. Terrible facility. We had the bye so it was a our first and their second game. It mattered.

Their future NBA star missed a layup at the buzzer for Duke to win by 1. Whew.

And we made it to the championship game after that scare, where Goose GIvens killed our 2-3 zone with free throw line jumpers.

Well two things:
    A: UVa earned an easier path (theoretically) as #1 overall than Duke earned as what, #7 overall? So it's not apples to apples.
    And that's what they have.

You're the one who made the comparison originally and said that Duke's path was easier :-)

UVA fans may have some misgivings about their path, but not a single one of them would trade with Duke.

Saddened to see someone else voted for Kansas. I was looking forward to being the only one...

(KU matches up horribly with Duke, and even worse with Michigan State.)

Yea the Michigan State draw is not ideal, but I would take it over other draws. At some point you’re going to have to play a tough team. It could play in our favor having to play at that high of a level and making our team focus.

There is no team more talented than Duke. If we focus for 40 minutes and take care of the basketball, we will be fine. Duke has played tough competition and in front of hostile crowds. We just gotta stay focused and play one game at a time.

We have the senior and the Coach to win it all. Excited to see what this team can do, especially after the loss against UNC. Players seemed pissed about that one.