Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 69, Cheating Pond Scum(ACCT Semis) Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here. Remember, no venting or bashing of Duke players or coaches.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Two steps forward, 1 step back...

Waited too long to make a run. Disappointing since that was probably Duke's 'D' game. Not a good game at all. Now we have to hear about Allen being dirty again.

Wow. That was at bad as it could possibly get on the big stage.

I'm glad we showed fight at the end. Hard to win games when your opponent takes 18 more shots than you.

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Put your post-game thoughts here. Remember, no venting or bashing of Duke players or coaches.
    Well, bye bye 1 seed. Hopefully we get a lucky break in the 2 seed we get. Probably will be seeded below UNC now.

Very disappointing. Very disappointing.

Defense solid. Offense awful.

Give UNC credit, they outplayed us the whole game.

Grayson was aggressive which is good, but he wanted to be the hero on offense. Gotta give Trent or someone else a look at the end.

UNC had 71 field goal attempts to our 53 field goal attempts. Story of the game. 18 turnovers by our anemic offense.

We can't be so inside-oriented if all it does is lead to turnovers.

10. Turnovers doomed us.

We're overweight on trying to initiate the offense from inside and UNC adjusted for that after having played us twice. They packed it in which made the interior pass difficult and clogged up passing lanes. Not to mention all those turnovers.

We should run more plays to get the open 3 instead of trying to get the ball inside. Even if we miss, our bigs have a chance to get the offensive rebound. If we make it, they'll be forced to guard the perimeter more and it opens up driving lanes and room for our bigs to get the next interior pass and make plays.

In the UNC game at Cameron, we shot 3-13 for 3s in the first half and 6-12 in the second half. That really changed everything.

We were getting more perimeter shots toward the end of this game (and making them) and went on a mini-run, but it was too little too late. We need to establish outside shooting earlier.

I'm not saying we stop going for inside baskets, just more that there's an optimal balance and we are trying too hard to go inside at the expense of outside. We need better balance, and made 3s will open up the game a lot so let's have some plays to free up shooters.

Oh well. UNC played a great game and amazing defense. Let's tip our hats and hope for a good seed and bracket placement.

The silver lining is we get more time to rest, which means Carter and Duval can heal.

Three things I think I think:

1. Why, Grayson, why
    2. I hate losing to a team unaffiliated with a legitimate university
    3. This edition of Duke basketball confuses me like few others have.

Glad to see the team woke up and decided to fight.
    The team didn’t seem to want to be playing at all for the first 10-15 minutes of the first half.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Well, bye bye 1 seed. Hopefully we get a lucky break in the 2 seed we get. Probably will be seeded below UNC now.

Very disappointing. Very disappointing.

Defense solid. Offense awful.
    Interestingly, the Heels are more likely to become 2-East now.

Obviously I'd still rather have won.

A couple of keys to the game:

1. 42% (22-53) on FGs - we shot poorly

2. Carolina successfully attacked the middle of our zone
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
    Grayson was aggressive which is good, but he wanted to be the hero on offense. Gotta give Trent or someone else a look at the end.
    Yeah that last shot could not have been drawn up. It was awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    UNC had 71 field goal attempts to our 53 field goal attempts. Story of the game. 18 turnovers by our anemic offense.

We can't be so inside-oriented if all it does is lead to turnovers.
    That stat is a bit misleading as we shot 10 more FTs. But turnovers and offensive rebounds were the story for sure.

‪Rebounding and turnovers. We can still win when we don’t shoot well. But rebounding and turnover are what determine if we win games or not.‬

Quote Originally Posted by ipatent View Post
    Give UNC credit, they outplayed us the whole game.
    Nope. Can’t do that right at this moment.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

18 turnovers. UNCheat took 18 more shots than Duke. Terrible play run at the end. Ugh.

We are 0-6 now in our last 6 games decided by 5 or fewer points. I think Va is 5-1. We’re great at comebacks, but have issues with free throws or execution to close out games.

Duval injury was a significant factor. Not able to attack as well on offense or at the top of the defense.

At this point, we are who we are, a team with a lot of talent but a back court that makes bad decisions and turns the ball over a ton. We can play defense now which we couldn't earlier in the year. But guards win championships, our guard play is not championship calibre.