Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    1) Keep our turnovers down anywhere 5-10 and don't let those be run out turnovers.
    2) Block out. The cheats are a good offensive rebounding team. Make the refs call over the back fouls.
    3) Do a good job of locating their three point shooters.
    4) Don't let Berry penetrate our zone.

GoDuke!
    5) Get your butts back in transition.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeWarhead View Post
    Saw some article this am stating that if UnC were to beat Duke and then UVA and Kansas loses, they would get last #1 seed. Bleh. No thanks. We’ll just beat them now.
    The way I read that, it is saying that UNC could lose to Clemson in the ACCT Final and still get a #1. They would have ten losses at that point. They do have some good wins including out of conference victories over Ohio State, Tennessee, and Michigan, and in that scenario they would have beaten us twice. But I can't fathom a team with ten losses getting a #1. Of course, if any team ever did it would be UNC.

EDIT: whoops, I just re-read the OP and realize that I misunderstood it. He is saying that UNC wins the ACCT. Still, I don't think that would be enough for a #1, but it would also depend on what Xavier does.

I don’t think DukeWarHead was implying UNC would pass UVA, as UVA Locke’s up the overall #1 seed, win or lose. I guess UNC has an outside shot (as do we) at one of the other #1 seeds

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Nah, no way UNC can pass UVA.

I had a dream last night that DeLaurier scored double digits in this game. That's all I have to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    The way I read that, it is saying that UNC could lose to Clemson in the ACCT Final and still get a #1. They would have ten losses at that point. They do have some good wins including out of conference victories over Ohio State, Tennessee, and Michigan, and in that scenario they would have beaten us twice. But I can't fathom a team with ten losses getting a #1. Of course, if any team ever did it would be UNC.
    It says they have to beat Duke and UVA.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    One of the plays that they ran very successfully against the Syracuse zone was passing into a man at the free throw line and then having him immediately kick out to a shooter on the wing behind the three point line. It was a set play, the free throw line guy didn't hold it and make a decision, he just caught it and passed it out. The defense reacted by collapsing around the middle guy, leaving the shooter wide open. I saw them do this over and over, giving them open threes. Fortunately for us we tend to not swarm that free throw line guy, choosing to leave him open, but I'll be curious to see if they try to do this against our zone.
    I've been so impressed with how patient the coaches and players have been when a team hits a few those FT area shots. We don't panic and bend the zone out of shape and open up other things. If Duke's center goes out to play Colson, it opens up the pass to the slot man, which often turns into a layup attempt. And if the guards or wings dig down, it opens up three-pt shots outside. Make them beat us from floater-to-long2 range. No layups, no threes.

Quote Originally Posted by gocanes0506 View Post
    Do we come out early with the 3/4 court press? Or do we anticipate them going over it extensively and only use it randomly to throw them off?
    Do we try to speed the game up?
    Which Duval shows up?
    Does Carolina miss as many shots? They move the ball very easy through the zone and get plenty of open jumpers.
    Who gets the other big men in foul trouble first?
    Can we make free throws?

The holes should be okay. They have played 2 easy games and played a bunch of players. They have also played two games and their starters have averaged 32 minutes in both games.
    Im for 3/4 court pressing them most of the game. It keeps them from passing the ball around the zone for 25-27 seconds. 3/4 court gives them about 18-22 seconds once their O is set. Those extra 5-7 seconds is an extra pass or two.
    Work inside-out. Get their bigs in foul trouble. At the same time it prevents them from getting into transition from long rebounds. They really feed off getting fast break points. I have noticed the Holes' demeanor and execution go way down when they arent getting into transition every few possessions.
    Duval/Allen attack the middle of the D and dish to the big men down low.
    Make free throws.
    I’ve seen this comment about the 3/4 press before and it confuses me. Doesn’t the press the way we play it slow down the other team down rather than speed them up? I think the objective of our press is to make the other team use as much of the shot clock as possible, have our defense play the least amount of time as possible against a set offense, and make the offense take rushed shots as time expires.

Anyone who thinks that the extra rest we'd get by not playing in the final tomorrow is crazy, in my eyes. A one seed is up for grabs. A win against our cheating rivals is on the line. Pride is on the line. A potential championship is on the line. Sure, we can cite the 2015 team that managed to win the NCAAT after losing its first game in the ACCT. But that team had already sealed a number 1 seed and only had 4 losses after the ACCT loss to the Irish. This year's squad has six losses and can't afford another without missing out on a top seed. People cite UNC last year. Well, the same logic applies. UNC snagged a one seed despite losing to us in the semis. I don't see any path to a 1 seed if we don't win tonight. The 2013 team also lost its first game in the ACCT and lost a 1 seed in the process. The result? We had to play Louisville in the Elite Eight. A one seed would have helped us avoid Louisville until either the semis or the final. That Duke team was playing excellent basketball. Louisville might well have been the only team that could have beaten us that year. And if we had met Louisville on a different day in a different arena at the Final Four, who knows what would have happened? As Kedsy has noted many times, getting a one seed, regardless of where we end up, dramatically increases our chances of making the Final Four. The 2010 team probably needed to win the ACCT to secure a 1-seed. Despite a paper thin rotation, that team gutted out three wins for the ACCT, got a 1-seed in the process, and went on to win the whole thing. Who knows if that team wins it all if it ended up as a 2-seed. Our chances to make the Final Four are diminished if we don't win today. Plus, we've had games in awful environments even when we haven't been shipped to the western bracket. The 2010 team had to play Baylor in a semi-away game in Houston and then had to play what was basically a true road game to beat Butler for the title. So there's no guarantee we won't end up with a difficult match-up geographically speaking even if we stay in the East or the South.

I could MAYBE see wanting an extra day of rest if we knew for certain it would mean a perfectly healthy Wendell come next weekend. But we're not even guaranteed that. Meanwhile, WE'RE PLAYING UNCheat! Perhaps I could justify seeing the upside in a loss to Clemson, UVA or some other ACC school. But NOT to UNC. Never.

Finally, if there is any chance at all that we might be without Wendell for a few games in the NCAAT, it is waaaaay better that we get some extra games in without him now. The timing is slightly different this year, but the 2001 team steamrolled UNC in the ACC Title game and honed its Boozer-less style of play in the process. That team was even thinner without Boozer than this year's team is without Wendell (J-Will, Mike D Jr, Shane, CDu, Casey Sanders, and the original BadI'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. Nate James were basically the entire rotation) and played a more fatiguing style (hyper-pressure MTM defense), yet they were able to recover in time to bring home Championship #3 after also winning the NCAAT. So if Wendell is going to be out or if he will play but his contributions will be limited, I want as many chances to figure out how to manage that . . . preferably by winning games at the same time.
    Who needs a moral victory when you can have a real one?

Some betting lines showing Duke a 4.5 point favorite against the cheats. It will probably fluctuate during the day. I'll just take a win for Duke with no more injuries. I thought that Bonzie might hurt someone last night, being the thug he is. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I don't know if fatigue will be an issue for the heels, they are right about their average of low 30's for the starters in both games. I think whomever gets to play UVa will definitely have some issues.
    Feh. They'll be fine. So will we. I want to start a drinking game for every instance of the announcers going on about how it's some sort of massive undertaking for a 18-20 year old well-conditioned highly-skilled athlete to play basketball three days in a row, but I'm afraid I'd kill myself by halftime.

Last night ESPN flashed a graphic showing the distance the ND players had run during games over three days, and Farrell was at like 7.5 miles - in three days - and they were acting like it was amazing his legs were still attached to his body. That's *nothing* to these guys. Expect both Duke and UNC at full strength and energy tonight (and hopefully Carter healthy).

Odds

Looks like the line opened Duke -4 and is now Duke -4.5

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Feh. They'll be fine. So will we. I want to start a drinking game for every instance of the announcers going on about how it's some sort of massive undertaking for a 18-20 year old well-conditioned highly-skilled athlete to play basketball three days in a row, but I'm afraid I'd kill myself by halftime.

Last night ESPN flashed a graphic showing the distance the ND players had run during games over three days, and Farrell was at like 7.5 miles - in three days - and they were acting like it was amazing his legs were still attached to his body. That's *nothing* to these guys. Expect both Duke and UNC at full strength and energy tonight (and hopefully Carter healthy).
    If I ran 7.5 miles in three days, I would be a shell of a person. But I am not a twenty year old athlete in peak condition.

I think the only rationalization for weariness is the pressure of playing X number of consecutive elimination games in X days.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    It says they have to beat Duke and UVA.
    Sorry, I misunderstood "if UnC were to beat Duke and then UVA and Kansas loses." I interpreted it as

Code:
    if (UnC were to beat Duke) and then (UVA and Kansas loses)
    rather than

Code:
    if (UnC were to beat Duke and then UVA) and (Kansas loses)
    I'm supposed to be working today writing some code; does this count?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    The only things I have ever said that could possibly be construed as "not negative" about UNC has been a respect for Berry and Paige over the years. They both seem like legitimately good dudes.

#1 seed!
    If you are basing your opinion solely on how JB plays basketball and on the court demeanor, I'm not sure how you can consider him a legitimately good dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I've been so impressed with how patient the coaches and players have been when a team hits a few those FT area shots. We don't panic and bend the zone out of shape and open up other things. If Duke's center goes out to play Colson, it opens up the pass to the slot man, which often turns into a layup attempt. And if the guards or wings dig down, it opens up three-pt shots outside. Make them beat us from floater-to-long2 range. No layups, no threes.
    Seemed like a good many layups/dunks last night by ND.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=401019994
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by Spanarkel View Post

They certainly got SOME of those. But they were ultimately still only scoring less than a point per possession. A lot of those dunk/layups were second-chance points off offensive rebounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanarkel View Post

That shot chart shows how well we guarded against the three. ND only attempted three total three pointers from a reasonable range. The rest were from NBA range or beyond. And while we gave up some shots at the rim, remember that a lot of those threes from way beyond the arc are the result of good defense that caused the Irish to have no choice but to jack up a shot from Manhattan. Also, ND did about as good a job as they could hope for hitting midrange twos and they still didn’t score 1 point per possession for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    That shot chart shows how well we guarded against the three. ND only attempted three total three pointers from a reasonable range. The rest were from NBA range or beyond. And while we gave up some shots at the rim, remember that a lot of those threes from way beyond the arc are the result of good defense that caused the Irish to have no choice but to jack up a shot from Manhattan. Also, ND did about as good a job as they could hope for hitting midrange twos and they still didn’t score 1 point per possession for the game.
    Thanks for sharing. Appears based on a quick analysis that ND was 3-6 on the closer in 3pt shots and 2-17 on the longer 3pt shots. So that leads me to believe that the zone did a good job forcing longer 3pt shots which ND had trouble making.

Moving forward

At this point, it really feels like Duke is competing against their own human nature. This team is talented and knows it. Barring a ridiculous shooting night or something like that, then I think it would take a rash of turnovers - like what we saw vs VT - to derail this team. This team has proven it can overcome a lot, including poor shooting nights, so as long as they take care of the ball and continue to play the kind of defense we've become accustomed to seeing, then I really like this team's chances to cut down the nets in both Brooklyn and San Antonio.

#GODUKE

Quote Originally Posted by David Bunkley View Post
    At this point, it really feels like Duke is competing against their own human nature. This team is talented and knows it. Barring a ridiculous shooting night or something like that, then I think it would take a rash of turnovers - like what we saw vs VT - to derail this team. This team has proven it can overcome a lot, including poor shooting nights, so as long as they take care of the ball and continue to play the kind of defense we've become accustomed to seeing, then I really like this team's chances to cut down the nets in both Brooklyn and San Antonio.

#GODUKE
    we're still only 3 halves of basketball separated from an extended poor offensive stretch. It seems we've turned a corner, but still too early to be "sure" IMO.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    we're still only 3 halves of basketball separated from an extended poor offensive stretch. It seems we've turned a corner, but still too early to be "sure" IMO.
    It's hard to say. Frequently when you turn a corner you find... another corner.