Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke vs. Notre Dame (3/8 7:00 pm ESPN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread:

Bonzi's back, which is bad news for us. Hopefully Notre Dame will show signs of fatigue in their 3rd game in 3 days.

They looked gassed ten minutes into today's game. Must have opened up the NOZ to have enough energy to pull off that epic comeback. Tomorrow they will be dead tired. We can't underestimate them however.

Somehow I think they'll rally their tired behinds and be as annoying as always.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    Bonzi's back, which is bad news for us. Hopefully Notre Dame will show signs of fatigue in their 3rd game in 3 days.
    He can hit that mid-range jumper, which is one obvious drawback to facing Notre Dame, but boy was he gassed out there. Props to him for gutting out that game, but I think we are fortunate to get the Irish going for their third game in three days.

Will be a war. They may be tired, but they are experienced. This is all new for our kids.

Death. Taxes. K v. Brey in ACC Tourney.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Notre Dame doesn’t have any depth, their best player struggled today and will be playing his third game in three days after a LONG layoff. And the team had to spend a ton of energy fighting back tonight, after playing a tough game yesterday. And we are just much more talented than them. Things look favorable for us. We just have to go out and get it done.

Look forward to seeing the zone and 3/4 court pressure to work on their legs some more.

Quote Originally Posted by duke4ever19 View Post
    He can hit that mid-range jumper, which is one obvious drawback to facing Notre Dame, but boy was he gassed out there. Props to him for gutting out that game, but I think we are fortunate to get the Irish going for their third game in three days.
    Make Bonziiiiiiiiiiiiii put the ball on the floor and take it to our big guys. I don't think he'll have the lift to put it in the basket against our front line. Don't let him beat us by making the mid-range shot because he can hit it. I think our perimeter players can close out on the 3 point line. Like many have said, the ND players make me want to barf with that look on their face. GoDuke!

I misspelled his name... it's Bonzie... don't want to provide him with bulletin board material and have him go Bootsy on us tomorrow.

Bonzie still hasn't looked like his old self yet, but he always goes off against Duke. Bonzie vs Bagley and Carter is going to be a fun battle.

I hope we try to gas them out of the game early. 3/4 court press them and transition hard. Play 8-9 dudes early. Throw as many bodies at Farrell and Bonzi early to get them tired. Let Duval push the ball and make Farrell run a lot on D. I’d bet Brey will preach lengthy possessions and no live ball turnovers to slooooowww the game down. Duke has got to force controlled tempo. Every big man that Bonzi will gaurd will run the court well. Get him tired. Also force mismatches with Bonzi on MGIII on the perimeter. Drive to the basket and get some foul calls. When they switch to zone, let GTJR, AOC, and GA go to work from behind the arc.

Colson with 36 minutes, Farrell 39, Gibbs and Pflueger with 40 tonight (33, 37, 38 and 38 vs Pitt). Hopefully this will result in short shots, etc. I would expect this to show up in the second half, but Duke could hasten it by coming out strong (like vs NCSU in 2015).

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Bonzie still hasn't looked like his old self yet, but he always goes off against Duke.
    Bonzie Colson vs. Duke (points/rebounds):

2015 (1): 8/3
    2015 (2): 8/4
    2015 (3): 17/5
    2016 (1): 31/11
    2016 (2): 12/12
    2017 (1): 17/9
    2017 (2): 29/9

So, he usually plays well against us, but I'd say he's only "gone off" in two of the seven games so far.

Bonzie will get his. Farrell will get his. This is a team that has the capabilities of shooting lights out, but tends to... not. Make Bonzie run, don’t let Farrell get in your head (he’s an agitator for sure. Tends to push every button but never get called for a foul).

There’s no real reason Duke should lose this game, but I thought the same thing in 2015 and 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by ndkjr70 View Post
    Bonzie will get his. Farrell will get his. This is a team that has the capabilities of shooting lights out, but tends to... not. Make Bonzie run, don’t let Farrell get in your head (he’s an agitator for sure. Tends to push every button but never get called for a foul).

There’s no real reason Duke should lose this game, but I thought the same thing in 2015 and 2016.
    And last week vs VT, and a couple weeks before that in new york

Anyway, duke plays defense the way they have of late, they SHOULD be okay.

First half UNC offense: we're in for a rough day
    Second half UNC offense: on to the semi's! (and probably the heels again...)
    1200. DDMF.

Plays lots of subs. Make this into a marathon. If we somehow fall behind big again I would not want to risk an injury trying to mount a comeback.

Either win easy or lose easy.

I really hope Notre Dame's fatigue gets to them. They are not your typical 10 seed. I still have confidence Duke will win because of the extra rest , 78 - 62.

Notre Dame’s legs will be just fine. And they are going to be ready to roll from the tip.

Duke better be ready to match their energy.

I was really hoping to get VT. I think last week’s loss would have been a good rally/focal point and it would have likely ended up a Q1 win (had Duke taken care of business). But... them’s the breaks.

If Duke gets one of (1) ball movement like when Bagley was out, (2) second half Saturday night Duvall, (3) late-February free throw shooting, this shouldn’t be a problem. I will be interested to see how Brey uses Bonzie against the zone.

Love this team. Brey, Bonzie, Farrell, and all the rest. They fully deserve to make the NCAAT even after we beat them tomorrow.