Snow at Barclay Center

Wow! Checking out the FSU/Louisville game and the snow has wreaked havoc on the attendance. I was at the Syracuse/Wake game last night, and there was a pretty big crowd.
    I wonder about our crowd tomorrow night? Could be lots of good seats available.
    Let's go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by BattierBeliever View Post
    Wow! Checking out the FSU/Louisville game and the snow has wreaked havoc on the attendance. I was at the Syracuse/Wake game last night, and there was a pretty big crowd.
    Let's go Duke!
    It's not snowing in Greensboro...just sayin'

Duke winning and snow first became associated in March 1960, when it snowed a bunch in North Carolina. Duke won its first ACC Tournament title and first two NCAA Tournament wins that March, mostly in North Carolina.

So, root for snow in Charlotte later in the month.

Quote Originally Posted by BattierBeliever View Post
    Let's go Duke!
    I don't think there were going to be a lot of people at FSU/Louisville regardless - their alums aren't going to travel for this, they don't have big alumni bases in NY, and the random fan in NY doesn't care a lot about either of these teams. Syracuse has a lot of alums here so will always draw. I'm curious to see how many people show up tonight as those games would be expected to draw a lot more.

I know Duke traveled yesterday and I assume the other teams that don't start until tomorrow did the same. Anyone who was trying to fly in this afternoon is going to have a lot of trouble. And any team that lost and is trying to get out of town will also have a lot of trouble - it started as rain this morning and is now coming down really hard. Perfect day to sit on the couch and watch some basketball!

We are supposed to get at least 6 inches of snow in the nyc area with the worst of it later in the day and tonight. However, the one positive for the Barclays center is that it is most accessible via public transportation including rail-subway and LIRR . By tomorrow evening’s Duke game, mass transit should be restored.

HERE IS A LINK TO GETTING TO THE BARCLAYS CENTER BY PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION:

http://www.barclayscenter.com/gettin...transportation

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    It's not snowing in Greensboro...just sayin'
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Duke winning and snow first became associated in March 1960, when it snowed a bunch in North Carolina. Duke won its first ACC Tournament title and first two NCAA Tournament wins that March, mostly in North Carolina.

So, root for snow in Charlotte later in the month.
    There is something special about big snows and the ACC tourney. I remember as a kid driving back from Greensboro twice in big snows, smiling about being out of school the next day, and hoping dad wouldn't slide off the road.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    There is something special about big snows and the ACC tourney. I remember as a kid driving back from Greensboro twice in big snows, smiling about being out of school the next day, and hoping dad wouldn't slide off the road.
    It snowed in Greensboro when Duke and Foster won in 1978 and 1980. Do either of those fit the bill?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    It snowed in Greensboro when Duke and Foster won in 1978 and 1980. Do either of those fit the bill?
    Both of them do. Nothing like getting to celebrate victory with a day of sledding!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

"Thundersnow" hits NYC.

Wasn't that a sequel to "Sharknado?"

I second this about 1978!

There was a virtual blizzard in Greensboro during an evening session of the tournament (I believe it was the semis). Snowing lightly as I drove from Durham to Greensboro that afternoon, blizzard conditions and roads virtually impassable when leaving after watching Duke beat Maryland and Carolina be upset! And Gene Banks' shot was captured for the next Sports Illustrated cover that night.

After Spring break, 1st round NCAA tournament game in Charlotte (only 1 game before expansion). I was there but have to admit I don't remember if it snowed during that game.

East Regional in Providence. It definitely snowed. A lot. And we had Kenny Dennard's famous reverse dunk from that weekend.

Final Four in St. Louis. Easter weekend, but it was cold. We beat Notre Dame in the semis on Saturday, and it snowed a little. By Monday the weather had cleared, and we wondered if no snow was a bad omen for Duke. Unfortunately, it was. But what a great season and fun ride!