Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana

    Selection Sunday change upcoming?

    This thread will suffice until we make one about Selection Sunday.

    The NCAA website has provided some interesting details about the Selection Sunday broadcast.

    The Selection Show will begin with the announcement of all 68 tournament teams, followed by the release of the brackets and match-ups, with analysis, discussion, interviews and reactions from teams as they find out if they made the “Dance,” along with their region, seeding and opponent.
    Not sure how the 68 teams will be announced first, if not on a bracket. Will they just read aloud the Selection Committee's #1-68 ranking, or go by conference, or what?

    Also, the broadcast will be on TBS, not CBS. Better get used to it, because TBS is where you'll see the Final Four games. The Selection Show will also stream on NCAA.com and the March Madness app.

    Finally, you can read some incredibly dry language about the Selection Committee's process, written by NCAA lawyers who are not present for the coffee break-filled, conference tournament-ignoring, room service-abusing, hotel room-trashing actual process.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Richmond, Va

    Selection Sunday change upcoming?

    Please, if this has already been covered move to that thread. I heard on local radio today that CBS is going to change the format of showing the brackets. They will show all the teams in, then start showing brackets and match-ups. I was shocked to hear this today, and if true, believe it's a huge mistake. It totally screws up the watching process, IMO.

    If not previously covered, would love to hear thoughts on this (insane, IMO) change.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Please, if this has already been covered move to that thread. I heard on local radio today that CBS is going to change the format of showing the brackets. They will show all the teams in, then start showing brackets and match-ups. I was shocked to hear this today, and if true, believe it's a huge mistake. It totally screws up the watching process, IMO.

    If not previously covered, would love to hear thoughts on this (insane, IMO) change.
    Every year, the bracket gets leaked online a solid 2 minutes into the selection Sunday show. Doesn’t make a huge difference.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Please, if this has already been covered move to that thread. I heard on local radio today that CBS is going to change the format of showing the brackets. They will show all the teams in, then start showing brackets and match-ups. I was shocked to hear this today, and if true, believe it's a huge mistake. It totally screws up the watching process, IMO.

    If not previously covered, would love to hear thoughts on this (insane, IMO) change.
    Have not heard that.

    Generally speaking, I am not against folks trying different things to see if they are better or fresh. But agree with you, my initial thought is that you lose the drama of who makes it in and who got “slighted” off the bubble.
    "We're only tourists in this life
    Only tourists but the view is nice"

    -- David Byrne

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Seriously?

    I've decided that most of DBR has blocked me by now. It's the only explanation that makes sense.

    Mods, feel free to move my post from the Bracketology thread over here, and maybe put it at the top, seeing as how it came first and has the required information, but nobody wanted to read it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Richmond, Va
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Seriously?

    I've decided that most of DBR has blocked me by now. It's the only explanation that makes sense.

    Mods, feel free to move my post from the Bracketology thread over here, and maybe put it at the top, seeing as how it came first and has the required information, but nobody wanted to read it.
    Sorry I worked all day and can't read posts due to that. Hence, I asked it to be moved if it had been posted already. I was just surprised to hear it today as we get close to the announcement.

    I can't read every post in every thread. Simple as that.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Seriously?

    I've decided that most of DBR has blocked me by now. It's the only explanation that makes sense.

    Mods, feel free to move my post from the Bracketology thread over here, and maybe put it at the top, seeing as how it came first and has the required information, but nobody wanted to read it.
    The only explanation is that...It’s over.
    President of the Marshall Plumlee fan club!

  8. #8
    I don't think it will be that big of a deal. You'll still have the drama and anticipation of waiting to see what your team's seed is, who they are playing in the first round, what region they are in, and where all the other teams are seeded to placed. Most teams that are going to be in the tournament already know they are in the tournament before the show begins anyways. It's really just the dozen or so teams on the bubble that are impacted by this and yet there will still be anticipation for their reveal it will just be in a slightly more predictable manner since it will be announced alphabetically.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
    Quote Originally Posted by mo.st.dukie View Post
    I don't think it will be that big of a deal. You'll still have the drama and anticipation of waiting to see what your team's seed is, who they are playing in the first round, what region they are in, and where all the other teams are seeded to placed. Most teams that are going to be in the tournament already know they are in the tournament before the show begins anyways. It's really just the dozen or so teams on the bubble that are impacted by this and yet there will still be anticipation for their reveal it will just be in a slightly more predictable manner since it will be announced alphabetically.
    I don't think its that big a deal, but I would alter things slightly. Instead of revealing the alphabetic list of teams, list them in seed order with their seeds. That way, you have the early drama of "who are the #1s", etc as well as which seed did we get? Then, at the end of that reveal, or towards its end, you have the reveal of which bubble teams made it and who didn't, as well is who is in possibly in the Tuesday games. Then teams start to worry about who they are playing, as you reveal the bracket(which also reveals the Tuesday games. Then analyze the heck out if it for the rest of the show, aside from an interview with the chair of the committee.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity;1049368

    Finally, you can read some incredibly dry language about the [URL="https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/march-madness-selection-sunday-dates-schedule"
    Selection Committee's process[/URL], written by NCAA lawyers who are not present for the coffee break-filled, conference tournament-ignoring, room service-abusing, hotel room-trashing actual process.
    That's worse that reading the Bankruptcy Code.

    But, there were a couple of interesting things:

    "2. The committee will then place the No. 2 seeds in each region in true seed list order. The committee may relax the principle of keeping teams as close to their area of natural interest for seeding teams on the No. 2 line to avoid, for example, the overall No. 5 seed being sent to the same region as the overall No. 1 seed. The committee will not compromise the principle of keeping teams from the same conference in separate regions.

    3. The committee will then place the No. 3 seeds in each region in true seed list order.

    4. The committee will then place the No. 4 seeds in each region in true seed list order.

    5. After the top four seed lines have been assigned, the committee will review the relative strengths of the regions by adding the “true seed” numbers in each region to determine if any severe numerical imbalance exists. Generally, no more than five points should separate the lowest and highest total."

    So, the Comittee "may" move the #5 seed out of its "area of natural resources interest" rather than "shall" or "will," meaning it might also not do that. Thus, even if Villanova had been the top 1 seed and Duke the #5, it wouldn't necessarily mean being moved out of the East.

    And they allow a fairly wide divergence in balance of the relative strengths of the regions (5 points out of a total of 34 for each of the seed groupings that "true balance" would reflect - 1/8/9/16, 2/7/10/15, etc.), consistent with their inflexible rule of not putting teams from the same conference in the protected seed spots in the same region and their demonstrated preference to "relax" the placement in "true seed" order in favor of geographic "area of natural interest."

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by mo.st.dukie View Post
    I don't think it will be that big of a deal. You'll still have the drama and anticipation of waiting to see what your team's seed is, who they are playing in the first round, what region they are in, and where all the other teams are seeded to placed. Most teams that are going to be in the tournament already know they are in the tournament before the show begins anyways. It's really just the dozen or so teams on the bubble that are impacted by this and yet there will still be anticipation for their reveal it will just be in a slightly more predictable manner since it will be announced alphabetically.
    What do you think the Vegas odds will be on them screwing up the alphabetical order and causing some poor fanbase to have a coronary?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wrightsville Beach, NC
    Actually, TBS has the Selection Show this year (with some nuanced changes):

    https://www.si.com/tech-media/2018/0...an-miller-espn

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Correct side of the Durham/CH border
    I think each 1 seed should get to “draft” their bracket (on live broadcast) from among the rest of the teams that made it in. I’d make extra popcorn for that.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

  14. #14
    I would categorize the selection Sunday show as an awards show which puts it in a category of things I never watch. You can see the brackets online as soon as they are announced. I struggle to get one filled out before the games start. Mine always has Duke winning it all and UNC out before the Sweet 16 and then a lot of other ACC teams advancing farther than they actually make it. It’s formula for failure that has served me well.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    I think each 1 seed should get to “draft” their bracket (on live broadcast) from among the rest of the teams that made it in. I’d make extra popcorn for that.
    That would make great theatre, but wow, talk about all the other 15 teams in the bracket being able to claim "been dissed" - imagine your team is a 2 or 3 seed and the first top seed to pick drafted your team as the easiest to beat.

    Side note: I really get tired of some of the 'us against the world' and 'been dissed' crapola as it is...yeah, I know it works a lot of time, but I still despise it.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I would categorize the selection Sunday show as an awards show which puts it in a category of things I never watch. You can see the brackets online as soon as they are announced. I struggle to get one filled out before the games start. Mine always has Duke winning it all and UNC out before the Sweet 16 and then a lot of other ACC teams advancing farther than they actually make it. It’s formula for failure that has served me well.
    I remember in the Dinosaur Days when the local rag would print a blank bracket and I will fill it in as it was announced on television, so I didn't have to wait for the full printed version in Monday's paper to start my own bracket analysis.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC area
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    This thread will suffice until we make one about Selection Sunday.

    The NCAA website has provided some interesting details about the Selection Sunday broadcast.



    Not sure how the 68 teams will be announced first, if not on a bracket. Will they just read aloud the Selection Committee's #1-68 ranking, or go by conference, or what?

    ...
    Or maybe an alphabetical listing of schools invited? Really keep the suspense up!

    I suppose it's better for the bubble schools...

    -jk

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deeetroit City
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I remember in the Dinosaur Days when the local rag would print a blank bracket and I will fill it in as it was announced on television, so I didn't have to wait for the full printed version in Monday's paper to start my own bracket analysis.
    Back in my day, the brackets were carved on cave walls ...

    And single elimination truly meant elimination ...

    Wooly mammoths and sabre-tooth tigers were perennial 1-seeds, you did NOT want to be in their brackets!

    You whippersnappers since the ice age have had things EASY!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Correct side of the Durham/CH border
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Back in my day, the brackets were carved on cave walls ...

    And single elimination truly meant elimination ...

    Wooly mammoths and sabre-tooth tigers were perennial 1-seeds, you did NOT want to be in their brackets!

    You whippersnappers since the ice age have had things EASY!
    Whoa! I believe this is a key piece of evidence in support of the claim that Dean Smith, not James Naismith, was the actual inventor of basketball.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Back in my day, the brackets were carved on cave walls ...

    And single elimination truly meant elimination ...

    Wooly mammoths and sabre-tooth tigers were perennial 1-seeds, you did NOT want to be in their brackets!

    You whippersnappers since the ice age have had things EASY!
    In my day, the “Amoeba Defense” really was an amoeba. They’d go all primordial on common bacteria.

    I wish they’d bring back the Big Bang tournament. Light, speed, energy — it really matter(ed).
    "We're only tourists in this life
    Only tourists but the view is nice"

    -- David Byrne

Similar Threads

  1. Documentary of '91-'92 teams coming Selection Sunday
    By Olympic Fan in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-03-2012, 11:11 AM
  2. DBR Selection Sunday chat 1 & 6 pm
    By Deslok in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-14-2010, 11:32 AM
  3. MBB: Selection Show Sunday Thread
    By Troublemaker in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 03-15-2009, 06:57 PM
  4. Countdown to Selection Sunday
    By Olympic Fan in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-15-2009, 05:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •