Schadenfreude-- Mid-Atlantic edition

With the MD Terrapins men's basketball team losing in the first round of the Big10 tournament today, is it time to revisit the decision to exit the ACC in lieu of the potential big bucks of the Big10? Doesn't seem like it has worked out for them in either of the men's revenue sports.

Quote Originally Posted by rtnorthrup View Post
    With the MD Terrapins men's basketball team losing in the first round of the Big10 tournament today, is it time to revisit the decision to exit the ACC in lieu of the potential big bucks of the Big10? Doesn't seem like it has worked out for them in either of the men's revenue sports.
    Nah, happy for the B1G to have them.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

$$$

Quote Originally Posted by rtnorthrup View Post
    Maybe it has. The Big 10 has more TV revenue, I believe, and that's what Maryland wanted. That and those away games in Nebraska.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Maybe it has. The Big 10 has more TV revenue, I believe, and that's what Maryland wanted. That and those away games in Nebraska.
    And AlaskIowa.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Feels bizarre to have the B1G playing its conference tournament a week before all the other major conferences (and before many of the mid- and low-majors as well).
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    This is ultimately the question. I know when the move was made, the Big10 TV revenue was greater than the ACC, but since that time the ACC worked out a new deal with ESPN to create the ACC Network. Add in the additional revenue from the fact that the ACC has been in the last 3 football playoffs, won 1 and been in the last two NCAA Men's Tourney Championship game, winning 1.

Also, you have to ask, how much money was it worth for them to quickly become non-competitive in both of the major revenue sports?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    Feels bizarre to have the B1G playing its conference tournament a week before all the other major conferences (and before many of the mid- and low-majors as well).
    Well, I think all the minor conferences have tournaments this week. Given the way they have performed this year, I see nothing wrong with the Bit Ten title being decided the same day as the Atlantic Sun and the Missouri Valley.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    ...with the Bit Ten title being...
    This was a typo... but it is the best typo I have ever made!!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    They wanted to hold the tournament in New York and MSG, but the Big East has a lock on the building during "tournament week". So to get that exposure, the B1G had to hold their tournament a week early.

IIRC, the ACC was offered the same deal, but didn't want to change the schedule. Hence bumping the A-10 in Brooklyn (don't we owe them some home and homes for that?)

I got a report from my niece last night from MSG, there were more people there than she expected. The Rutgers fans showed up fairly well. Of course, the upstairs was closed for the night (I believe it may have been general admission seating.)

Rutgers is in the same boat as Maryland, in that they are not receiving a full share of the media money from the B1G. However, the conference either loaned or gave Maryland the money to pay the ACC for leaving.

Minnesota getting beat by Rutgers fairly soundly last night does not bode well for the remaining Pitino D1 head coach.

NY Times had an article about this earlier in the week - mainly focused on the very long layoff between the conference tournament and NCAA - they clearly realize it was a bad decision

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/27/s...ournament.html

I am in NYC and have seen a lot of advertising regarding the tournament (my fairly basketball savvy son in elementary school keeps asking what a B1G tournament is when we walk past signs), and have gotten a number of e-mails about tickets being available - I'm guessing there are a lot of empty seats at MSG. Across all of the schools there are plenty of alums here, but it is nothing like Chicago and I don't know if they are showing up.

Like Wilbon said at the time, other Big 10 schools' fans didn't want Merlin, and the majority of Merlin fans didn't want the Big 10.
    Ludicrous move for some short term money.
    A top two schadenfreude situation along with UCONN (now having sunk to two levels below irrelevant) being blackballed from the ACC

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Like Wilbon said at the time, other Big 10 schools' fans didn't want Merlin, and the majority of Merlin fans didn't want the Big 10.
    Ludicrous move for some short term money.
    A top two schadenfreude situation along with UCONN (now having sunk to two levels below irrelevant) being blackballed from the ACC
    Well one thing's for sure: they aren't coming back...

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    NY Times had an article about this earlier in the week - mainly focused on the very long layoff between the conference tournament and NCAA - they clearly realize it was a bad decision

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/27/s...ournament.html

I am in NYC and have seen a lot of advertising regarding the tournament (my fairly basketball savvy son in elementary school keeps asking what a B1G tournament is when we walk past signs), and have gotten a number of e-mails about tickets being available - I'm guessing there are a lot of empty seats at MSG. Across all of the schools there are plenty of alums here, but it is nothing like Chicago and I don't know if they are showing up.
    Are any of the B1G teams playing non-conference games after their tournament -- like against teams from other conferences holding early tournaments? Seems like a long time between games if they don't.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    As an ACC fan, I kind of expected UMD to challenge for B1G titles in men's basketball. Oh well. I did not like them, but I was torn between the ugly recency and all of those awesome MD / NC State games in the 70's. I am not sure I wouldn't swap L'ville out for them, but they made their choice.

Wasn't this whole nefarious scheme the brainchild of Uber Armour founder and Terp, Kevin Plank?

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Rutgers is in the same boat as Maryland, in that they are not receiving a full share of the media money from the B1G. However, the conference either loaned or gave Maryland the money to pay the ACC for leaving.
    I thought the ACC withheld all of Maryland’s conference payouts (about $30M or $35M) and later settled on that amount rather than the $50M penalty they were supposed to pay.