Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Obama objects to NCAA "serving as a farm system for the NBA"

Last Friday, former President Barack Obama spoke at a major sports analytics conference at MIT. As reported by Reason magazine, he discussed his own career as a so-so high school basketball player, remarked that playing basketball with other people revealed much about their character, and argued that the NBA would be well-served by a junior league "so that the NCAA is not serving as a farm system for the NBA with a bunch of kids who are unpaid but are under enormous financial pressure."

"It's just not a sustainable way of doing business," said Obama. "Then when everybody acts shocked that some kid from extraordinarily poor circumstances who's got 5, 10, 15 million dollars waiting for him is going to be circled by everybody in a context in which people are making billions of dollars, it's not good." Creating an alternative league for people eventually headed to the NBA "won't solve all the problems but what it will do is reduce the hypocrisy" of pretending that all student-athletes are both students and athletes.

There are not a whole slew of things upon which I agreed with President Obama, but I think this is right on target. I don't see how it could/would work, but I would be interested in learning possibilities.
    This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
    No trees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by RPS View Post
    Creating an alternative league for people eventually headed to the NBA "won't solve all the problems but what it will do is reduce the hypocrisy" of pretending that all student-athletes are both students and athletes.
    If I remember right, beefing up the G-League to be that alternative is part of the last plan I saw proposed, as well it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    If I remember right, beefing up the G-League to be that alternative is part of the last plan I saw proposed, as well it should be.
    I think you're right. Also included was the ability of high school players to enter the draft.

I'd rather see schools and conferences branch off from NCAA.

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    Football has done this...sort of. BCS schools remain part of the NCAA but have a separate national championship. Still, the change you suggest wouldn't necessarily impact high school draft eligibility. But it could (and should).

With the OAD model we have the discussion is always about the NBA's rule about a player being out of HS a year, etc. I don't see why the NCAA couldn't just come with an agreement with schools where a scholarship offer carries a minimum 2 year commitment. Why do we have to wait for the NBA to change?

With the OAD model we have the discussion is always about the NBA's rule about a player being out of HS a year, etc. I don't see why the NCAA couldn't just come with an agreement with schools where a scholarship offer carries a minimum 2 year commitment. Why do we have to wait for the NBA to change?
    I would guess the question would be "two years, or what?" Two years or you owe us money for the first year? What NBA prospect would pass on their rookie contract because they had to pay back $25-$50k?

(just guessing)

I don't see why the NCAA couldn't just come with an agreement with schools where a scholarship offer carries a minimum 2 year commitment.
    The agreement would be unenforceable without NBA cooperation. At the end of year one, a player could just drop out of school and head off to the NBA Draft unless the NBA agreed to make any player who does not complete the 2 year commitment ineligible for the draft.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    The agreement would be unenforceable without NBA cooperation. At the end of year one, a player could just drop out of school and head off to the NBA Draft unless the NBA agreed to make any player who does not complete the 2 year commitment ineligible for the draft.
    Correct. Any changes would have to be part of a CBA between the NBA and the NBA Players Association. The NCAA just can't dictate this. The courts won't allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    At least if the Power 5 schools could separate the revenue generating sports(football, men’s and women’s basketball, maybe baseball) from all the other sports that don’t make money.

Because when it comes to the issue of the NCAA “paying athletes”, how can it differentiate paying a kid that is on a football scholarship from a kid on a lacrosse scholly.

I would think Title IX would also come into play here.

Just seems like an issue that looks easy to solve on paper, but the reality of actually making it work is much more complicated.

The problem of encouraging kids to join a developmental league instead of college is that most of them aren't going to play in the NBA when all is said and done. At least with college the majority of these kids have something to fall back on.

I also can't see a developmental league ever competing with college basketball on a revenue basis or popularity with fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I would guess the question would be "two years, or what?" Two years or you owe us money for the first year? What NBA prospect would pass on their rookie contract because they had to pay back $25-$50k?

(just guessing)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Correct. Any changes would have to be part of a CBA between the NBA and the NBA Players Association. The NCAA just can't dictate this. The courts won't allow it.
    I would assume that the two year contract would have to have an "or what" clause. Without an "or what" clause you couldn't enforce it and you would need NBA cooperation. We don't want NBA cooperation, screw them. What if the "or what" clause was that you'd have to pay the school your salary if you left early to play pro ball and 2x that salary if you left early and tried to not make the payment? (just brainstorming here)

One simple solution that the NCAA could implement is that an athlete takes up a scholarship slot for two years, even if they go pro, drop out or transfer after one year the school still has that scholarship unavailable the next year.

I've thought the same system could be used for immediate transfers. Kids can play immediately, but they take up two scholarships, unless they redshirt.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    One simple solution that the NCAA could implement is that an athlete takes up a scholarship slot for two years, even if they go pro, drop out or transfer after one year the school still has that scholarship unavailable the next year.

I've thought the same system could be used for immediate transfers. Kids can play immediately, but they take up two scholarships, unless they redshirt.
    That would really hurt the school. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    That would really hurt the school. GoDuke!
    Only if they recruit a bunch of one year players. Everything in moderation.

One point I haven't seen mentioned (which may just be my hangup) is that we should not force young people to go to college. Studying English, history, and other academic subjects is not for everyone, and one or two years of such studies may not be much help in life. Knowing how to weld, make accurate cuts, and drive nails straight may be far more useful. Knowing how to balance a checkbook is certainly more useful. It seems silly to send young folks out to be millionaires (some of them, at least) without knowing the rudiments of finance.
    This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
    No trees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    One point I haven't seen mentioned (which may just be my hangup) is that we should not force young people to go to college. Studying English, history, and other academic subjects is not for everyone, and one or two years of such studies may not be much help in life. Knowing how to weld, make accurate cuts, and drive nails straight may be far more useful. Knowing how to balance a checkbook is certainly more useful. It seems silly to send young folks out to be millionaires (some of them, at least) without knowing the rudiments of finance.
    Yes! We have such a dearth of skilled labor in this country and these are darn good careers. A business degree then certainly helps take it to the next level, but I am not sure why we have become a country of degree mills. I guess I'd better stop there.

I would assume that the two year contract would have to have an "or what" clause. Without an "or what" clause you couldn't enforce it and you would need NBA cooperation. We don't want NBA cooperation, screw them. What if the "or what" clause was that you'd have to pay the school your salary if you left early to play pro ball and 2x that salary if you left early and tried to not make the payment? (just brainstorming here)
    Putting aside whether OAD players would sign such a contract, you would have enforceability issues. Generally, the school would have to prove damages. They would try to characterize the payment as liquidated damages, but it may be an unenforceable penalty.

All of this would be governed by state law, so different states, different ways of doing things. But in any state, if I’m the school, I’m not liking going into court to argue that this player should have to pay me a huge amount of money for deciding not to play for free.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Your idea would be a non-starter from a PR standpoint. Schools are already getting “free labor” for one year, now they get someone’s first year of salary?

I also think a judge would throw it out. Not all contractural terms are enforceable.