Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

ESPN FPI projection

ESPN.com/fpi has us as the 30th strongest team next. This is ahead of all Big 4 schools and even Louisville. Good to see an outside source recognize a very likely improved team.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    ESPN.com/fpi has us as the 30th strongest team next.
    http://www.espn.com/college-football...cs/teamratings

Opponents:

1. Clemson
    14. Miami
    22. Virginia Tech
    24. Georgia Tech
    31. Northwestern
    38. Wake Forest
    40. Baylor
    46. Carolina
    57. Pitt
    74. Virginia
    98. Army
    Bob Green

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Shock the world!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    ESPN.com/fpi has us as the 30th strongest team next. This is ahead of all Big 4 schools and even Louisville. Good to see an outside source recognize a very likely improved team.
    A couple thoughts came to mind - first, I think last year's team left 2 wins minimum, maybe 4 wins maximum, on the table. And for the first time in ten years under Cut, I think coaching subtracted wins instead of adding/generating wins. It pains me to say that, and in no way minimizes the unbelievable change of culture and fortunes that Cut is to be credited with. Based on some of Cut's comments, he might feel the same way about last year, and he made some staff changes in all the weak areas last season (MSU made one change for us).

Another is this: NC State is rated 43rd. I think that is low.

Finally, was Jim Knowles the best coach on the team? He was clearly the best coordinator Cut has ever had, and I'm surprised we kept him that long. I've been uber impressed with him for years.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...cs/teamratings

Opponents:

1. Clemson
    14. Miami
    22. Virginia Tech
    24. Georgia Tech
    31. Northwestern
    38. Wake Forest
    40. Baylor
    46. Carolina
    57. Pitt
    74. Virginia
    98. Army
    I look at that list and all sorts of things pop out, especially as it relates to Duke's chances of winning this year. I like our prospects vs higher ranked GT, given the progress of our front six or seven.
    And while Pitt and Virginia are ranked well below us, they've given us fits the last few years...and then there's Army, the team against which we coughed up the largest hairball last year.
    There's not a guaranteed win in that list.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ...and then there's Army, the team against which we coughed up the largest hairball last year. There's not a guaranteed win in that list.
    Army lost their quarterback which is a huge deal for a triple option team. There is no guarantee the replacement will not be as good or better but I like the fact Ahmad Bradshaw is gone.

I like our prospects vs higher ranked GT, given the progress of our front six or seven.
    We have beaten GT three of the last four seasons. Like you, I like our chances to win this game.

And while Pitt and Virginia are ranked well below us, they've given us fits the last few years.
    We have to right the ship against Virginia who has beaten us three straight times. Virginia is another team breaking in a new quarterback. Our defensive line needs to give us an advantage. We were up 17-7 on Pitt last season and pinned them at the eight yard line. We had our foot on their throat and failed to step down hard.

I agree there are no guaranteed wins on the schedule but I like our chances against a majority of the teams. There are certainly six or seven wins to be had if the team executes. Bowl eligibility is what it is all about.

There are several positions we have reason to be concerned about: placekicker, offensive tackle and the second cornerback opposite Mark Gilbert immediately come to mind. I'm looking forward to next Saturday's Spring Game and getting a glimpse at those spots.
    Bob Green

We have beaten GT three of the last four seasons. Like you, I like our chances to win this game.
    I don't follow Georgia Tech closely. I know they are never a pushover under Paul Johnson, but I'm curious if anyone who does know lots about them really agree they should be forecast as a Top 25 team next year? Their quarterback is back, but as a junior he was pretty atrocious throwing the ball, which is necessary to keep defenses honest against the option. I think they also lost a lot on defense, which wasn't a strength to begin with.

I’m very nervous/worried about our kicking game! Was this addressed at all with any recruits coming in this summer/fall to address the kicking game? Also the other area I’m most concerned about are our WR’s. Hopefully they’ll take a big step forward this season.

Army lost their quarterback which is a huge deal for a triple option team. There is no guarantee the replacement will not be as good or better but I like the fact Ahmad Bradshaw is gone.

We have to right the ship against Virginia who has beaten us three straight times. Virginia is another team breaking in a new quarterback. Our defensive line needs to give us an advantage. We were up 17-7 on Pitt last season and pinned them at the eight yard line. We had our foot on their throat and failed to step down hard.

I agree there are no guaranteed wins on the schedule but I like our chances against a majority of the teams. There are certainly six or seven wins to be had if the team executes. Bowl eligibility is what it is all about.

There are several positions we have reason to be concerned about: placekicker, offensive tackle and the second cornerback opposite Mark Gilbert immediately come to mind. I'm looking forward to next Saturday's Spring Game and getting a glimpse at those spots.
    I'm still angry at Arnie's favorite coach (Knowles) for blitzing vs Pitt when we absolutely didn't need to, and their RB ran 92 yards past our blitzing linebacker. IMO, Ben Albert is the best coach on the staff, and I'm excited to see what he does as co-DC or whatever they call it(he was superb at BC as well, so it's no accident).

I think the new WR coach may well get more out of his minions ....same for the OL coach (not unhappy Johnson is gone)...and last but not least, I can only hope our offensive coordinator continues his late season turnaround because (and I agree heartily with Arnie here) his playcalling in the middle of the season was horrendous.

Buddy - any thoughts on placekicker, offensive tackle and the second cornerback position? Those are unknowns right now.
    Bob Green

Buddy - any thoughts on placekicker, offensive tackle and the second cornerback position? Those are unknowns right now.
    none! Gotta think they will be looking for a grad transfer kicker. Hopeful that OT may be OK with the young guys we have...lots of talented bodies at CB but I have no idea who will step up, but unlike past years, we do have some athletes there. I wonder about Mason Williams who was first team all Ivy before transferring from Penn...we soon shall see!

Mason Williams sounds like a good addition to our DB group.
    Last edited by ehdg; 04-08-2018 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ehdg View Post
    Mason Williams sounds like a good addition to our DB group.
    As a redshirt junior, Mason Williams certainly has classical dB moves, but at 79 isn’t he a bit past his prime?

But, I warrant, he always plays with his foot and hands on the gas. That twelve-string Epiphone provides strong dB shivers for any age. �� �� ��

Last edited by Jim3k; 04-08-2018 at 10:37 PM.

Perhaps it is my imagination but it seems to me the news coming out of Spring Practice, which is always thin, is even thinner this year. There have only been about three articles at GoDuke so far which mostly contained fluff.

Hopefully there is a good post Spring Practice press conference with some actually news on how things went. I realize the staff is conscientious about not revealing stuff to future opponents but they need to feed us fans a morsel or two.

[/rant]
    Bob Green

Perhaps it is my imagination but it seems to me the news coming out of Spring Practice, which is always thin, is even thinner this year. There have only been about three articles at GoDuke so far which mostly contained fluff.

Hopefully there is a good post Spring Practice press conference with some actually news on how things went. I realize the staff is conscientious about not revealing stuff to future opponents but they need to feed us fans a morsel or two.

[/rant]
    I join your mini rant, Bob. As dedicated fans we note that the program is always talking about generating more interest from fans, etc, and yet info, even harmless tidbits about who is having a strong Spring, escape the program like it's a black hole.

[/rant]
    Yes but. No news is good news when injuries are concerned. With recruiting improving, a team will be thinner at experienced top-quality players than one with a steady recruiting level. A nice problem to have, but such a team is peculiarly vulnerable to injuries.

[/rant]
    Now, now Bob, you know ranting is not allowed on DBR. Here are a few morsels to calm your anxiety.

250px-Semi-sweet_chocolate_chips.jpg

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

[/rant]
    Maybe the staff thinks this is winter practice...

There is the slight chance they are busy.

I think the TB’CC will display this gem in our tent next fall!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com