Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

There are certainly question marks as Spring Practice commences, starting with the kicking game, but all Duke fans should be excited about the experience and talent on the roster in 2018.
    The path to a warm bowl next January starts with hard work today. Go get ‘em, men!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

There are certainly question marks as Spring Practice commences, starting with the kicking game, but all Duke fans should be excited about the experience and talent on the roster in 2018.
    Thanks. Oddly, one of the things I'm most curious to see is how our co-defensive coordinators work together. I agree with the video. I think this season's Duke defense could be the best I can recall. I think with recruiting the last few seasons, with guys like Humphreys as a senior, Giles-Harris a R-Junior, and the rest of the defensive talent, I'm excited to see what they can do. On offense, Jones back for his third year as a starter gives Duke such an advantage. I think we have a great bunch of young talented running backs and tight ends. On offense, as always, the key will be the offensive line and the development of our wide receivers. Those will be the biggest areas to watch, in my opinion, this spring and into August. I'm all about March Madness right now, but I'm excited to follow the progress of the team.

If we get the kicking game improved, everything else should be very good.

All subject to staying healthy of course, as with every sport.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    If everything else is very good, hopefully we don't have to rely on the kicking game.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

All subject to staying healthy of course, as with every sport.
    my biggest concern stems from our biggest issue last year, will the staff put our players in a position to win? We obviously had some issues on the offensive side of the ball last year which were resolved down the stretch. Hopefully that trend continues. Obviously we have a big unknown on defense.

I give the program the benefit of the doubt, of course, but that doesn't mean it's not still an unknown and for me, concern.
    April 1

How much of our problems on offense can be attributed to the injury to D. Jones? Seems that the coaches intentionally got away from him running in order to protect him.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    my biggest concern stems from our biggest issue last year, will the staff put our players in a position to win? We obviously had some issues on the offensive side of the ball last year which were resolved down the stretch. Hopefully that trend continues. Obviously we have a big unknown on defense.

I give the program the benefit of the doubt, of course, but that doesn't mean it's not still an unknown and for me, concern.
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    How much of our problems on offense can be attributed to the injury to D. Jones? Seems that the coaches intentionally got away from him running in order to protect him.
    Yeah, that was going to be my question TruBlu. The offense started great; had a swoon; and then recovered nicely. How much of that was due to injury as opposed to *{cough}* other *{odd}* issues *{playcalling, cough}* is not known to me. I would think that a hurt QB = more runs and not less, but whatever. Point being, as un_no states, the problem seems to have been addressed in one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    If everything else is very good, hopefully we don't have to rely on the kicking game.
    I dunno, I kinda like 6/6 or 7/7 PATs/game.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I dunno, I kinda like 6/6 or 7/7 PATs/game.
    And an equal number of kick=offs. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    How much of our problems on offense can be attributed to the injury to D. Jones?
    One of the question marks in my mind is whether or not Daniel Jones is a consistent quarterback as a three year starter. He has been inconsistent for two straight seasons. Now there is an acceptable explanation for his inconsistency. As a freshman, he was unexpectedly thrust into the starting position, struggled early (completely understandable) followed by a solid second half of the season. In year two, he started and finished strong but was inconsistent during the six game losing streak in the middle of the season. He was hurt. We really don't know the details of his injury but it obviously affected his play.

In year three, and four but I don't want to get ahead of myself, Daniel Jones needs to stay healthy and be a consistent performer at quarterback.
    Bob Green

And an equal number of kick=offs. ;-)
    Yes, indeed. Driggers is a sophomore and I thought he did a very good job last year so I'll be happy to see him return.

Liking Coach Cut’s comments after practice yesterday, even if it was coach-talk. He praised the speed/athleticism of the team, and said there was competition at all spots. D line probably the deepest; O line unproven but there is talent. Said there was no complacency in the players, which may have crept in after the 2015 season and the Pinstripe Bowl win.

Also liking Ben Humphreys’ comment: “our goal every year is to win the ACC championship. This year, I think that’s a realistic goal.”

Should be a fun year with some big challenges on the schedule. LGD!!!

Liking Coach Cut’s comments after practice yesterday, even if it was coach-talk. He praised the speed/athleticism of the team, and said there was competition at all spots. D line probably the deepest; O line unproven but there is talent. Said there was no complacency in the players, which may have crept in after the 2015 season and the Pinstripe Bowl win.

Also liking Ben Humphreys’ comment: “our goal every year is to win the ACC championship. This year, I think that’s a realistic goal.”

Should be a fun year with some big challenges on the schedule. LGD!!!
    Thank you, Coach Albert.

See y'all (or some of y'all) in Evanston in September.

Thank you, Coach Albert.

See y'all (or some of y'all) in Evanston in September.
    Agreed on Coach Albert.

May have to look into a Chicago trip in the early fall . . . .

Agreed on Coach Albert.

May have to look into a Chicago trip in the early fall . . . .
    Duke football
    Giordano's
    Duke football
    Sagegrouse
    Duke football
    Malnati's
    Duke football
    Architectural tour by boat and/or on foot
    Duke football
    Cubs (didn't check schedule)
    Duke football
    Chicago Botanical Gardens

Might keep you busy...

Duke football
    Giordano's
    Duke football
    Sagegrouse
    Duke football
    Malnati's
    Duke football
    Architectural tour by boat and/or on foot
    Duke football
    Cubs (didn't check schedule)
    Duke football
    Chicago Botanical Gardens

Might keep you busy...
    What -- no brew pubs?

The deep dish pie in Detroit nearly killed me, not sure I can hit Giordano's -- even with a good cardiologist by my side.

(Looks like the Cubbies may be coming back into town on Monday, 9/10 but out of town before and on the football weekend)

Gibson's steak house is quite an experience in Chicago. The NW trip is great, the fans are kind and hospitable, not like going to UCONN for example...

I would think that a hurt QB = more runs and not less, but whatever. .
    He was talking about Jones running less.

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    He was talking about Jones running less.
    Gotcha. But my memory is that we went away from the backs as well. Paging Bob Green. . . .

Either way, Daniel can have a great year if he stays healthy. And if he is healthy, I like our chances for a warmer bowl than Detroit. (As fun as that was)

Gotcha. But my memory is that we went away from the backs as well. Paging Bob Green. . . .

Either way, Daniel can have a great year if he stays healthy. And if he is healthy, I like our chances for a warmer bowl than Detroit. (As fun as that was)
    your memory is correct, our offensive coordinator went on some sort of tangent during that bad stretch last year, forgetting about Brown and Wilson.
    (I'm still irate about the Miami game call, march down the field running every which way, then go for an asinine pass on fourth and one).

Still not sure what we do about kickers...