Almost 70 year old Duke record falls

Drexel beat Delaware today after being down 34 points. I THINK the previous biggest comeback was by Duke against Tulane at 32 points.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Drexel beat Delaware today after being down 34 points. I THINK the previous biggest comeback was by Duke against Tulane at 32 points.
    December 30, 1950, in the consolation finals of the Dixie Classic, Duke trailed Tulane at the half, 56-27, having earlier been behind by 32. Duke won 74-72, outscoring Tulane 47-16 in the second half. Dick Groat scored 32 points in the comeback victory.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    December 30, 1950, in the consolation finals of the Dixie Classic, Duke trailed Tulane at the half, 56-27, having earlier been behind by 32. Duke won 74-72, outscoring Tulane 47-16 in the second half. Dick Groat scored 32 points in the comeback victory.
    Amazingly enough, the Drexel-Delaware halftime score was a bucket away from Duke-Tulane - 56-29 Delaware - and then the second half hit that margin exactly - 56-27 Drexel.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

that may be true... but i still have to think uk 1994 comeback down 31 with 15 to go is probably better

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    that may be true... but i still have to think uk 1994 comeback down 31 with 15 to go is probably better
    Not really. Remember the LSU coach was Dale Brown? Remember Tricky Ricky's famous quote about not being worried about the deficit?

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

But 1950 Duke did not have a shot clock or 3-point shot to aid their comeback.

So, that's a record that will not be broken.

Any reason there’s a front page article about this a year later? Is it just that Delaware and Drexel played again almost on the anniversary?

I saw that too, SCMatt33. Sporks for you!

The article itself talks about the great month in Philly with Drexel's big comeback and the Eagles winning the Superbowl. And at the link, above the headline the date is today, while just below the headline, the "dateline" shows the date of 2/23/18, the game itself having been played on 2/22/18, so maybe you are right that the game yesterday (on 2/23/19) between the same teams was the cause of the confusion. Drexel did beat Delaware again this time, 68-60, but without the epic comeback of last year.
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil