Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    K said after the VT game that we would be primarily a zone team going forward. What I love about today is how well it represents the continued evolution of this year’s team. No one could possibly criticize the coaching staff for any level of stubbornness (well, maybe, this is DBR!) after all the lineup management and defensive tinkering we’ve witnessed across the last several weeks. I think this is when K and staff are at their best... making adjustments to suit the team after finally figuring what all the pieces are and how to fit them together. I’m hopeful for a strong finish and deep post season run as we round into defensive shape and get a well rested MB back on the floor.
    On the issue of stubbornness - we've seen a remarkable lack of it the last few weeks with multiple Jack White sightings, the switch to zone and proclamation that zone it is, and other minutes for AOC and so on...and I welcome it. Who knows, a deep run may be in the offing. To win six games, or to win even four, there will be times when Javin or Jack or Alex or Marques will have to make some big plays. It's good they're getting the minutes.

I haven't posted in a long while. Usually because someone says what I'm thinking and I don't need to beat the dead horse anymore, or add to the euphoria of victory.

However, I think it's already been said, I'm soooooooooooo happy to see Grayson playing like Grayson of old again. It makes the team that much more enjoyable to watch. And maybe it's just me, but I feel we're able to withstand these runs from the opposing teams knowing Grayson can make the defensive play, stick a 3 in their eye, or throw it down and get the team back on track. It's been a pleasure watching him play these past 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    I haven't posted in a long while. Usually because someone says what I'm thinking and I don't need to beat the dead horse anymore, or add to the euphoria of victory.

However, I think it's already been said, I'm soooooooooooo happy to see Grayson playing like Grayson of old again. It makes the team that much more enjoyable to watch. And maybe it's just me, but I feel we're able to withstand these runs from the opposing teams knowing Grayson can make the defensive play, stick a 3 in their eye, or throw it down and get the team back on track. It's been a pleasure watching him play these past 4 years.
    Great post, wholly agree.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Big difference between integrating a guy who needs the ball in his hands and one that excels at offensive rebounding and bouncing off the floor.
    I agree with this. The concern is more about how the coaches and players react to his return.

Will Grayson revert to kowtowing to the Bagley postup and sometimes sporting MattJones-like usage numbers in a game, or will Grayson continue to hunt his shot and be a 20-point threat every game, which he should be? Will Coach K help Grayson towards this goal by running plays for him? We don't want to lose this Grayson that we've seen the past 3 games (and also the Michigan St game when Marvin was out).

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I agree with this. The concern is more about how the coaches and players react to his return.

Will Grayson revert to kowtowing to the Bagley postup and sometimes sporting MattJones-like usage numbers in a game, or will Grayson continue to hunt his shot and be a 20-point threat every game, which he should be? Will Coach K help Grayson towards this goal by running plays for him? We don't want to lose this Grayson that we've seen the past 3 games (and also the Michigan St game when Marvin was out).
    This. We've seen examples of successful reintegrations of key players late in the season (Boozer) and examples of it not going so well (Kyrie). I do think it'll be easier to reintroduce a post player as opposed to a point guard. I like the use of the phrase "hunting his shot." It's about being aggressive for Grayson.

I’m rewatching the game as I was in an airport and barely watched it live. Do they not call techs for hanging on rims anymore? Additionally on the next play I completely get coach Ks anger at that flagrant 1 call.

I’m really proud of the guys. Feels like a real solid effort all around.
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevil View Post
    I’m rewatching the game as I was in an airport and barely watched it live. Do they not call techs for hanging on rims anymore? Additionally on the next play I completely get coach Ks anger at that flagrant 1 call.

I’m really proud of the guys. Feels like a real solid effort all around.
    If you are talking about the play where the Clemson player was hanging on the rim before the ball went through, i was wondering why it wasn't basket interference. Or did I miss a call?

An aside that may be interesting to some who have been Duke fans for awhile - I was watching a replay of Carter's basket in the final minute and am pretty sure that William Avery was sitting behind the Duke bench. Didn't hear this mentioned during the game, but I may have missed it as I was leaving for a soccer match. Nearly 20 years later opposing fans still claim Avery has a bad relationship with Coach K due to Curry Kirkpatrick's hatchet job for ESPN the Mag (where did he go to school again?) when the 3 amigos left school. I've seen Avery since admit that he made a mistake leaving school early and that he was taken advantage of by some of the people around him. He's been back to Duke at times, and its nice to see him behind the bench.

So how far will Duke jump up in the polls tomorrow? I'm saying Duke is ranked 7th at worst tomorrow and 5th at best.

They'll jump Texas Tech, Cincinnati, Ohio State, Auburn, Purdue, Clemson, and MAYBE Villanova/Xavier.

Jack's face as he saw the lane open up

Higher-resolution version.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    If you are talking about the play where the Clemson player was hanging on the rim before the ball went through, i was wondering why it wasn't basket interference. Or did I miss a call?
    the announcers on the television machine said that he may have been concerned with his own safety due to all the congestion in the lane, and therefore it was allowable. The refs were seen conferring after the play and seemed to agree with that take. Could have been called basket interference, or much less likely a T. I don't think the refs were wrong although, it could have been just a tad of home-team consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    An aside that may be interesting to some who have been Duke fans for awhile - I was watching a replay of Carter's basket in the final minute and am pretty sure that William Avery was sitting behind the Duke bench. Didn't hear this mentioned during the game, but I may have missed it as I was leaving for a soccer match. Nearly 20 years later opposing fans still claim Avery has a bad relationship with Coach K due to Curry Kirkpatrick's hatchet job for ESPN the Mag (where did he go to school again?) when the 3 amigos left school. I've seen Avery since admit that he made a mistake leaving school early and that he was taken advantage of by some of the people around him. He's been back to Duke at times, and its nice to see him behind the bench.
    i didn't notice Avery, nor did i not notice him. It's good to know that there's no ill will (ba-duh tching!). I'll show myself out...

Grayson had a magnificent first half, near perfect. I was hoping to see a bit more of that, but good to see both Carter and Duval have a significant offensive impact in the second. I liked the improved play by Duval overall, and the team defensive hustle and energy and decision making was pretty consistent, except for losing shooters at times. Even the coaching seemed improved. Overall Grayson's first half play and the overall defensive effectiveness had me gaining further optimism that this team can indeed fulfill its potential, which is as high as any team out there, just look at how many top teams lost this weekend. There are no great teams ... yet. This Duke team has great talent and is now game by game making the progress to move towards that great level. The next 4 games are going to be fascinating to watch for further fine-tuning, including the re-integration of Bagley into an evolving team!

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon View Post
    Agreed and a few lost more than once. And at least one, Kansas, should have lost if it wasn’t for ...er... favorable officiating.
    It was a good bball day for me - Duke won, Michigan won, PSU won, and Wichita State won. Great day.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Very good win. We wouldn't have been capable of winning a road game like this two weeks ago, a game in which the opposing defense outplayed our offense. But "New Duke" (zone + return of Grayson + healthy Javin & Marques) can win an ugly defensive battle in a hostile atmosphere.

Now, it's just about getting Bagley back and having him adjust to "New Duke" (instead of the other way around).
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    While Duke was tired, I thought we saw a bit too much of the "prevent victory offense," where we delay the offense until 10-15 seconds left.

And, by the way, what's wrong with the rims at Littlejohn, or is it something else? Both teams missed a boatload of shots within two feet of the basket. Both defenses were fighting hard, but still...
    Stall ball works if you don’t turn the ball over, commit fouls and make free throws. Duke shot free throws well over all and Trent’s 3 free throws sealed but this team does need to work on poise closing out a win. That includes Grayson and probably his biggest fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    I think it's already been said, I'm soooooooooooo happy to see Grayson playing like Grayson of old again.
    I agree with your sentiment, but I don’t feel like we’ve even fully seen Grayson at his best. He had a great half tonight, but his second half was limited to two free throws and some poor decisions down the stretch. VT was a great night shooting the three, but GT was good, not great. I think he’s still due for a breakout game where he completely dominates. After that happens, I’ll be ready to proclaim that he’s “back.” And I’d love to see him attacking the rim more rather than solely relying on the three. I know that he’s never going to revert to sophomore year Grayson, when he attacked relentlessly with a gung-ho style. But he still has room to improve.

Is Marques in the penalty box? Limited minutes today.

Quote Originally Posted by WVDUKEFAN View Post
    14 minutes off the bench isn't too bad actually, especially considering we only played the bench 23 minutes total.

I would get used to these extremely low bench minute totals. I know Coach K runs a tight rotation anyway, but the zone defense additionally allows the starters to rest and to stay out of foul trouble.

Coach K + zone defense will lead to ridiculously low bench minutes.

Good Will Avery photo. Thanks for pointing that out.Teammate of Nate James. http://www.goduke.com/PhotoAlbum.dbm...DB_OEM_ID=4200

Maybe Alex, same question...

No way

Don't think so. We just didn't need two bigs out there at once against Clemson.

I thought Marques played well, other than the time he fell asleep at the back of the press. He's made significant progress this year.