Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GTHC chant

Quote Originally Posted by devilseven View Post
    I don't think we should do that cheer at all. It's showing them way too much respect. They should be greeted with total silence, OR If anything should be chanted, it should be CHEATERS, CHEATERS, CHEATERS.
    Can you imagine how powerful it would be if we borrowed a page from Taylor University and the Crazies were dead silent for the first x minutes of each Cheat game? Every point they scored during those x minutes would be met with a resounding "Go To Class" or "Roy Knew" or "Cheeeeeeeeeeeateeeeeeers." It would FORCE the talking heads to discuss the cheating and bring attention each year to the greatest injustice in collegiate athletics.

I heard it once during pregame last night, that was it. I don't get it

Quote Originally Posted by PeteZaHut View Post
    perhaps the students were too busy chanting "air ball" at Joel Airy. I'm kinda okay with that. The students were in good form.
    April 1

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    perhaps the students were too busy chanting "air ball" at Joel Airy. I'm kinda okay with that. The students were in good form.
    Or saving it to unveil the huge sign after the game.

Curious to know if any recruits (of which Duke and Holes are both after) were impressed by the entire atmosphere of Cameron and will tell Roy - Sorry !

And I was at the women's Duke-UNC game the week before and never heard it.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

No need to tell them to go to Hell. We all know they are gonna wind up there anyway...

Sort of related, I noticed we did bring back the "hi Joel, you suck!" chant during starting lineups. Is this new, or do we bring this back for the cheats every year? I thought we abandoned this at coach k's request years ago. Maybe they still do it, but we don't get to see the starting lineups on TV that much?

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Or saving it to unveil the huge sign after the game.
    Caught a quick glimpse of that on TV but then ESPN panned away and would not show it.

How did they get that huge banner in there?
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Not to give away all of the state secrets, but typically some subset of the Line Monitors will bring it in during pre-game prior to the student doors opening, as they frequently move in and out of Cameron while students are being admitted.

With a banner that size, you also have to be very careful to remember which way it's rolled up or folded up. Unveiling it backwards or upside-down would be a disaster. And you can't really coordinate that once 1200 screaming drunk college students are standing right on top of it, so you have to arrange it before anyone gets into 17, really.

We brought this one in pregame during the Notre Dame shellacking during my senior year, though it seems we have now been one-upped.

Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 6.50.58 AM.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Caught a quick glimpse of that on TV but then ESPN panned away and would not show it.

I got a blurry picture of it from the end zone.

AFC7A90A-64E2-4969-B0C9-DA16E93D968A.jpg

Curiosity...kind of off topic but kind of on topic...how many students are there in the always "9314" attendance figure that is given. I suspect it is a range...more crammed for some games than others...but what, 2000 maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Sort of related, I noticed we did bring back the "hi Joel, you suck!" chant during starting lineups. Is this new, or do we bring this back for the cheats every year? I thought we abandoned this at coach k's request years ago. Maybe they still do it, but we don't get to see the starting lineups on TV that much?
    Regrettably, this has become the norm for just about every game. I can’t recall if it was done for the exhibition games, but I recall hearing it for most, if not all, of the conference game opponents.

It should stop, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Curiosity...kind of off topic but kind of on topic...how many students are there in the always "9314" attendance figure that is given. I suspect it is a range...more crammed for some games than others...but what, 2000 maybe?
    a line monitor would be able to be more precise, but my understanding is that it's 1600+ in section 17, but less than 2k.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Regrettably, this has become the norm for just about every game. I can’t recall if it was done for the exhibition games, but I recall hearing it for most, if not all, of the conference game opponents.

It should stop, IMHO.
    Reminds me a little of my freshman year at Purdue; not sure if anyone here has been to or seen a Boilermaker football game, but after each 1st down the band picks up, plays the end of the fight song, and the student section chants "1, 2, 3, FIRST DOWN" while pointing in the direction of the first down. I thought it was pretty cool when the team was respectable (Cowboy Kyle Orton's last year), but somewhere during my first year at Purdue all of the frats and sororities must have gotten together and decided to add in the word "B*tch" at the end of the cheer. Took it from something cool that they'd show on tv to something sophomoric that the children in the audience would hear ad nauseam. It has gotten better in recent years, if only because Purdue fails to get as many 1st downs.

TLR - I always thought the "HI JOEL!!" on it's own was cool; we know who you are, you're in our house, and over the next 40+ minutes we're going to do everything we can to make you cry on the bus back to Chapel Hell. "You Suck!" adds nothing, IMHO.

Me neither. That's a classic traditional Duke chant that should never go away. The airball chant was tired.

I also miss the DE-FENSE chant. The stadium used to rock with it and it really seemed to pump up the players on D. Even if other schools do it, nobody does it like Cameron.

Personally my favorite spirit moment was Ken Jeong dancing his rear-end off!

There was one guy in my section who, instead of “You Suck” yelled “You Cheat!” But it seems I wasn’t loud enough.

Great minds...

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    There was one guy in my section who, instead of “You Suck” yelled “You Cheat!” But it seems I wasn’t loud enough.
    I did the exact same thing. Too bad we perhaps weren't near one another or we might have started something.

I've never been a fan of the 'You Suck' cheer though I love waving 'Hi' and greeting by name, in between steady booing.

I also don't love the 'Eat $h!t!' after 'Carolina, go to Hell' in the Fight Song. I had stubbornly retained 'Beat State' until this year when it has been replaced by 'Don't Cheat!' Still working on that one, but it has felt right enough this year.
    159!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (hexi-decimally, that is)

Go Duke!!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ikiru36 View Post
    I did the exact same thing. Too bad we perhaps weren't near one another or we might have started something.

I've never been a fan of the 'You Suck' cheer though I love waving 'Hi' and greeting by name, in between steady booing.

I also don't love the 'Eat $h!t!' after 'Carolina, go to Hell' in the Fight Song. I had stubbornly retained 'Beat State' until this year when it has been replaced by 'Don't Cheat!' Still working on that one, but it has felt right enough this year.
    Amen.