Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke95 View Post
    Whether or not it's a good vs. bad business decision depends on the analysis of risk vs. reward. But it's still a business decision.
    The best business decision is to be team-minded as long as the player is in college.

Whether or not it's a good vs. bad business decision depends on the analysis of risk vs. reward. But it's still a business decision.
    Agreed, but not exclusively a business decision. There is in fact, more to life.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    There's a thread on here somewhere that debunks the myth that these kids have such insurance policies because the premiums are so outrageously high.
    On the contrary, no other authority than Coach K was asked about insurance policies the other day at a semi-private membership meeting. He said both the University and the parents (with a deferred payment plan) take out insurance policies that pay the kids if they get injured and it costs them draft spots, like "dropping from 3 to 18" because of an injury, not to mention their entire career. The rules on what the U can provide for the kids has changed dramatically from when Nolan and Jon Scheyer were in school. I can't say more. There is no link to provide.

Here's to hoping that Marvin makes it back onto the court when he's healthy enough to play without pain or fear of injury, and that that time is very soon!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Agreed, but not exclusively a business decision. There is in fact, more to life.
    THANK YOU!!! And there's more to business even than just hard core biz decisions....and I'm a business owner, and many decisions are made without an eye on the bottom line, even in business.

I beg to differ... (ears perk up, McGr...?)

My perspective: It's a business decision if and when you make the decision based on business principles.

A third party doesn't get to define it. A third party could say, "If I were to make a business decision, then my assessment is..."

Example: I left a job so my wife didn't have to leave hers. Did I make a business decision? Only a 3rd party trying to count my dollars would assert such.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTeuf View Post
    My perspective: It's a business decision if and when you make the decision based on business principles.

A third party doesn't get to define it. A third party could say, "If I were to make a business decision, then my assessment is..."

Example: I left a job so my wife didn't have to leave hers. Did I make a business decision? Only a 3rd party trying to count my dollars would assert such.
    I have to agree here. The whole premise of the debate is a bit silly. Businesses make business decisions because they have a fiduciary duty to their shareholders. Other people don't...because they, well, don't, and they can consider other things...like whether they want to spend another year in school or because of familial considerations. As soon as you start to factor such things into a decision, it's no longer a business decision.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTeuf View Post

If your wife made more money at her job than you did at your job it certainly would be a business decision. Of course other factors could exist.

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    If your wife made more money at her job than you did at your job it certainly would be a business decision. Of course other factors could exist.
    I really don't think it's that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    If you're considering anything other than value (which can be either short or long term, mind you), then by definition, it's not a business decision. period. Businesses are legally obligated to make decisions which drive value, therefore that's what a business decision IS. OP considered other factors. Not a business decision. If Bagley is considering other factors, not a business decision. Grayson returning to duke? probably not a business decision since he seems to love to be here. Player returning because they think they can improve their draft stock and thus earnings? Business decision. OP leaving his job will almost never be a business decision, since both his wife and he working would create more value.
    April 1

Gary Trent: "It's a business decision."
    Trevon Duval: "It's a business decision."
    Marvin Bagley: "It's a business decision."

It's not just me saying it, sport. The players know the deal.
    "It's not personal Sonny. It's strictly business." --Michael Corleone

Love, Ima

A couple weeks off might be just what Marvin needed right now. It appeared to me that he was hitting a little bit of the freshman wall in the last few games he played. Teams have seen enough video on him to take away his left and beat him up physically. That takes a toll on a young big; especially one playing 30+ min. a game. If he gets back in another game or two; it should give him enough time to get back in game shape and re- integrate into the line-up before post season play.

Quote Originally Posted by devilsince1977 View Post
    A couple weeks off might be just what Marvin needed right now. It appeared to me that he was hitting a little bit of the freshman wall in the last few games he played. Teams have seen enough video on him to take away his left and beat him up physically. That takes a toll on a young big; especially one playing 30+ min. a game. If he gets back in another game or two; it should give him enough time to get back in game shape and re- integrate into the line-up before post season play.
    And opponents had begun playing Marvin very physically. Coming back 100% healthy should help him handle the physical play. That and using his right hand more. GoDuke!

other fans are trying desperately to connect this to the FBI investigation. As if, somehow, K and the program can avoid some sort of nefarious indictment if he just sits MB3...

is this even on the radar? or just some UK fans (whoops) bitter-much?
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    other fans are trying desperately to connect this to the FBI investigation. As if, somehow, K and the program can avoid some sort of nefarious indictment if he just sits MB3...

i mean, afaik, we wouldn't have to forfeit games he doesn't play in! Obviously this is just K preparing the team so that they can win the 6 tourney games and not have to forfeit them!

/s
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post

I saw this suggestion in some ESPN comments (which may be the place trolls go to die). There has been, I think, a credible report that there are more teams being looked at in the FBI investigation, but to my knowledge there is no solid indication that Duke is one of them, nor anything other than conspiracy theory/hope of schadenfreude to support the theory that MB3 is sitting to avoid charges.

That isn't a theory that makes much sense anyway--if Duke/Duke coaches were going to be indicted based on this investigation, the damage would already be done. If Bagley were involved in anything shady--another charge for which I don't think there has even been a plausible rumor, much less evidence--he is already at Duke and has already played in games. And if this were really the motivation for his sitting out, why not simply report that he is out indefinitely, instead of saying it is a minor sprain?

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    I saw this suggestion in some ESPN comments (which may be the place trolls go to die). There has been, I think, a credible report that there are more teams being looked at in the FBI investigation, but to my knowledge there is no solid indication that Duke is one of them, nor anything other than conspiracy theory/hope of schadenfreude to support the theory that MB3 is sitting to avoid charges.

That isn't a theory that makes much sense anyway--if Duke/Duke coaches were going to be indicted based on this investigation, the damage would already be done. If Bagley were involved in anything shady--another charge for which I don't think there has even been a plausible rumor, much less evidence--he is already at Duke and has already played in games. And if this were really the motivation for his sitting out, why not simply report that he is out indefinitely, instead of saying it is a minor sprain?
    I dunno. Slamming on my brakes after being caught speeding always seems to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post

Stupid and unfounded conjecture by Duke hating trolls. Most likely, MBIII has a mild sprain and that they want him to be totally over it before reintroducing him to the physical play associated with the interior positions in ACC ball.

Quote Originally Posted by devilsince1977 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    And opponents had begun playing Marvin very physically. Coming back 100% healthy should help him handle the physical play. That and using his right hand more. GoDuke!
    Yes... from what I've read on DBR about Carlos Boozer, when he came back after his injury in the Maryland game, he actually developed... and improved his footwork. Maybe, Marvin's absence from games will allow him to develop his right hand... and completely fool all remaining teams...

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    If you're considering anything other than value (which can be either short or long term, mind you), then by definition, it's not a business decision. period. Businesses are legally obligated to make decisions which drive value, therefore that's what a business decision IS.
    With all respect, this is incorrect. First, you are thinking of corporations with shareholders. Most businesses are not corporations with shareholders.

And even in that context, you could have a shareholders agreement which provides that the business could pursue other objectives.

My hope is that when Marvin comes back, it will not be going 35+ minutes. Knees are tricky and take time to fully recover. We have depth up front.

My guess is Marvin, if able, has been working hard to get better and to get the team better. Everything I've read or heard otherwise would indicate that.

On another note, I'm amused by the discussion of "business decision", which may be the most overused and abused phrase I've heard (and used). As the discussion has shown, it is ill-defined. As someone earlier alluded to, Michael Corleone perhaps said it best (I kind of recall Hyman Roth said something similar to Michael in II).