Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Nah, if he's healthy, he'll play. These guys are too competitive not to.

We have this silly conversation every year. It's always just a way to passive-aggressively say "OADs don't care about Duke, just their draft status."

But yeah, he'll be back when healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    B Did some warm ups at Clemson. That From a student here who watched the early stuff. Said he ran layups and then changed clothes - 2nd hand information. Decent information though. He was texting his dad with this information while watching early run through
    Thanks; would be curious if he was in anyway favoring his bad knee.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Whether we like it or not, the above is a fair assessment. Marvin’s immediate goal should be a top 3 pick in the draft; why not shut it down if the injury is nagging. If AOC had a similar injury, his decision to play based on immediate goals would likely be different.
    Fair point, but players like Grant Hill, Michael Jordan, and many others point to the college memories as their most cherished hoops memories...

Whether we like it or not, the above is a fair assessment. Marvin’s immediate goal should be a top 3 pick in the draft; why not shut it down if the injury is nagging. If AOC had a similar injury, his decision to play based on immediate goals would likely be different.
    If this becomes the new reality of OAD players, I will be wholeheartedly on the bandwagon to not recruit those kids. To be clear, I haven't seen any reason to doubt the dedication of these kids to date. But if this were true I would sour (even more) on the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    If this becomes the new reality of OAD players, I will be wholeheartedly on the bandwagon to not recruit those kids. To be clear, I haven't seen any reason to doubt the dedication of these kids to date. But if this were true I would sour (even more) on the process.
    Yeah, and that situation would take care of itself...the schools most likely to get OAD are schools that look at anything short of a Final Four as a bit of a failure...Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, NC, etc....and if shutting it down after a few highlight reel games is the norm, no reason for those schools to offer them.

Stop the Worrying! Stress is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ima Facultiwyfe View Post
    I'm thinking we may have already seen the last of Marvin, bless his heart. There is already enough film on him for the pros to see. His stats are good. He really has no vested interest in being a Duke legend. His dad is probably thinking this is enough to secure his future so he should call it a day. I'm surprised more blue chippers don't play it that way. The way things are going I bet that's the trend going forward with many OADs.
    Love, Ima
    Come on guys and gals...it's a sprain. Key word there. Not broken, torn, detached, severed, backwards, compound, etc etc.

He's coming back. Plus he did it in a game, and I assume was evaluated, and then kept playing and finished the game!

Coach has said plenty of times. No need to rush it. Need = key word. We have a handful of regular season games left, and we are sitting decent for tournament standings.

This Clemson team is down right now, and if Coach thinks we can win without Marvin, keep him resting then. We don't need him right at the moment. We need for the others to solidify their roles and lock in. Marvin has done that already. When he comes back, we should be firing on all cylinders.

I'm an old lady. I don't drink much of the Koolaid anymore. I'd love to be wrong but, just color me skeptic.
    Love, Ima

I'm an old lady. I don't drink much of the Koolaid anymore. I'd love to be wrong but, just color me skeptic.
    Love, Ima
    With age comes wisdom! Nothing wrong with skepticism. Perhaps I have been overly colored in optimism. I just can't imagine Marvin is cool with going 3/4 of the way to the top of basketball's highest mountain while his brothers push on while at times needing his help.

Love, Ima
    I'm generally a skeptic, too (or more often a cynic), but I agree with Toublemaker here: if Harry Giles actually ended up playing regular minutes at the end of the season...after all he'd been through...I think we see Bagley again (if the injury really is not serious, of course).

But I also agree that in the era of OAD, K really has to consider recruits' future professional goals and not just what's best for Duke right now. Maybe that's always been the case, but it seems even more so lately.

Bagley will be back. He's a competitor... and more specifically, he's a competitor with an insurance policy that's worth millions of dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    Bagley will be back. He's a competitor... and more specifically, he's a competitor with an insurance policy that's worth millions of dollars.
    There's a thread on here somewhere that debunks the myth that these kids have such insurance policies because the premiums are so outrageously high.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

The difference between the #1 pick and the #3 pick is about $4 million over three years. Bagley coming back and playing well could very well be the difference between him being picked 3 versus 1. No guarantees either way, but I’d say he has plenty of financial incentive to come back, in addition to the aforementioned motivation of just being a competitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    There's a thread on here somewhere that debunks the myth that these kids have such insurance policies because the premiums are so outrageously high.
    What? These kids do have them. The school pays the premium for it.

At this point, there's little reason for Bagley to return. He's proven himself and the incremental benefits of taking such risk is relatively small. Sure, as a fan, it would be fun to have him back, but as a rational observer, what's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by Duke95 View Post
    K confirmed this at the blue devil club lunch Friday.
    Last edited by chrishoke; 02-18-2018 at 05:06 PM.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

At this point, there's little reason for Bagley to return. He's proven himself and the incremental benefits of taking such risk is relatively small. Sure, as a fan, it would be fun to have him back, but as a rational observer, what's the point?
    Is everything with you a bottom line business decision? I bet you're a real riot on vacation....

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Is everything with you a bottom line business decision? I bet you're a real riot on vacation...
    Gary Trent: "It's a business decision."
    Trevon Duval: "It's a business decision."
    Marvin Bagley: "It's a business decision."

It's not just me saying it, sport. The players know the deal.

so, about the knee...K said (FWIW) post game that the knee is improving, he does not know when Bagley will return, but "it'll be soon" (espn article).
    One is now left to one's own interpretation of the word "soon."

So when Bagley returns, he'll be making an irrational decision? I'd love for you to tell him that to his face.

Bagley will return when healthy... he's a competitor who takes these games seriously. You can see it in his body language when he is on the court. For the cynical minded, it's not a given that it would be a good business decision to call it quits. The NBA execs like competitors as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ipatent View Post
    For the cynical minded, it's not a given that it would be a good business decision to call it quits. The NBA execs like competitors as well.
    Whether or not it's a good vs. bad business decision depends on the analysis of risk vs. reward. But it's still a business decision.