Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I don't mind Bagley playing it safe. I'm a Carter fan myself. I think we'd be in far more trouble if he were the one injured.
    Love, Ima

Quote Originally Posted by devilsince1977 View Post
    NO! But it is safe to say that a 7ft teenager; getting ready to make 10's of millions; is being held out of games due to a knee injury. It has been less than 2 weeks since the injury happened. Why in the heck would he be brought back before he is completely healthy? That sounds exactly like a "precautionary measure". The only BS is you accusing the Duke staff of dishonesty.
    You think missing 3+ games in the heart of the ACC schedule is just a precautionary measure? It’s not like this is week 17 of the NFL regular season after we have already wrapped up home field advantage. It’s not just a preseason game. If he is indeed out again tomorrow, no, I don’t really feel that the disclosure thus far has accurately communicated the severity of his injury. I don’t say this to denigrate the integrity of the Duke staff (because I would be all for a little ambiguity if it gives us even the slightest edge against our opponents)...I am just pointing out that this sounds like it is worse than we were initially led to believe, and we might want to stop pretending that he is healthy enough to play but is just repeatedly sitting out meaningful games as a “precaution.”

EDIT: Maybe everyone else here figured he would be out for a while from the outset, and I just read into the “precautionary measure” language a little too optimistically at the time.
    Last edited by El_Diablo; 02-17-2018 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by billy View Post
    Tried to spork but had to yada yada...
    Right. If Brownell announces his guy isn't playing then be his equal and announce if Bagley is playing. WOULD have been Low class to hide your hand while the other team announced their status - glad bagley status was announced by Duke

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    You think missing 3+ games in the heart of the ACC schedule is just a precautionary measure? It’s not like this is week 17 of the NFL regular season after we have already wrapped up home field advantage. It’s not just a preseason game. If he is indeed out again tomorrow, no, I don’t really feel that the disclosure thus far has accurately communicated the severity of his injury. I don’t say this to denigrate the integrity of the Duke staff (because I would be all for a little ambiguity if it gives us even the slightest edge against our opponents)...I am just pointing out that this sounds like it is worse than we were initially led to believe, and we might want to stop pretending that he is healthy enough to play but is just repeatedly sitting out meaningful games as a “precaution.”
    I have had mild knee sprains that take 1-2 weeks to feel better. We are only 9 days from the UNC game. When I heard the diagnosis of knee sprain (not bruise or contusion) I figured Bagley would be out a minimum of 2 games.

We can argue about the semantics of precautionary (that's what we do here after all) but in my book 1-2 weeks is still precautionary. If he isn't back by Louisville then I'll wonder what precautionary actually meant.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    I have had mild knee sprains that take 1-2 weeks to feel better. We are only 9 days from the UNC game. When I heard the diagnosis of knee sprain (not bruise or contusion) I figured Bagley would be out a minimum of 2 games.

We can argue about the semantics of precautionary (that's what we do here after all) but in my book 1-2 weeks is still pretty precautionary. If he isn't back by Louisville then I'll wonder what precautionary actually meant.
    Yeah, maybe it’s just semantics. I guess I just took issue with the “precautionary measure” language (which implies that he was healthy enough to play but was being held out only as a precaution).

Didn't realize he hurt it in the first half of the UNC game. Might explain his relative lack of production eh?

The discussion about recovery time and questioning the integrity of the coaching staff assumes that everyone recovers from injuries in the same time frame. Let's see ankle = 2 games ; knee = 3 games; foot = 8 games. When a doctor looks at these injuries they give a player a rehab routine (rest, lift weights, etc) for a period of time then they reassess. No one knows the exact time for recovery only the time table to the next reassessment

Certainly we don't want to rush it. K said after the VaTech game that he was getting better, but does that mean sooner or later. If he's not ready I don't want to see him taking a chance of injuring it further. Seems though we've been on this horse before, or maybe I am just paranoid...

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    The discussion about recovery time and questioning the integrity of the coaching staff assumes that everyone recovers from injuries in the same time frame. Let's see ankle = 2 games ; knee = 3 games; foot = 8 games. When a doctor looks at these injuries they give a player a rehab routine (rest, lift weights, etc) for a period of time then they reassess. No one knows the exact time for recovery only the time table to the next reassessment
    Totally agree with this statement. It can also mean that we are 2-0 without Bagley and playing an undermanned Clemson so precautionary can be extended. If we lost the last two games and his replacements played horrible, maybe Marvin is back today.

my personal opinion is that it's a fool's errand to try and interpret staff comments about injuries. We'll know Bagley's back when we see him on the court.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    my personal opinion is that it's a fool's errand to try and interpret staff comments about injuries. We'll know Bagley's back when we see him on the court.
    ^^^
    This guy has been watching Duke basketball for a long time. I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    But this is an internet message board so...

we can tag team these errands.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Yeah, maybe it’s just semantics. I guess I just took issue with the “precautionary measure” language (which implies that he was healthy enough to play but was being held out only as a precaution).
    I can understand the frustration.

Something similar JUST happened with Marques. For those that listen to the games on the radio (or at least the pregame/postgame stuff), you know that Marques was -- according to the staff -- really close to playing @NCSU, which was his first game missed. But somehow, he went on to miss 6 additional games with his knee injury.

A sprained ankle can take a while to heal.i assume a sprained knee is no different.Mr Carter is more than up for the challenge.bolden is playing solid .
    we have no problems.😁

I'm thinking we may have already seen the last of Marvin, bless his heart. There is already enough film on him for the pros to see. His stats are good. He really has no vested interest in being a Duke legend. His dad is probably thinking this is enough to secure his future so he should call it a day. I'm surprised more blue chippers don't play it that way. The way things are going I bet that's the trend going forward with many OADs.
    Love, Ima

Quote Originally Posted by Ima Facultiwyfe View Post
    I'm thinking we may have already seen the last of Marvin, bless his heart. There is already enough film on him for the pros to see. His stats are good. He really has no vested interest in being a Duke legend. His dad is probably thinking this is enough to secure his future so he should call it a day. I'm surprised more blue chippers don't play it that way. The way things are going I bet that's the trend going forward with many OADs.
    Love, Ima
    Gosh I hope you are wrong, for several reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    It is the hand we have been dealt just like boozer many years ago. Sooo. When bagley DOES come back we will be even harder to beat
    Unless it's like Kyrie's return after his injury, where the team had established an identity without him that was working very well.

I'm thinking we may have already seen the last of Marvin, bless his heart. Love, Ima
    It is premature to say he will not return. I confident he will be back playing. The opportunity to participate in March Madness is special.
    Bob Green

Love, Ima
    Whether we like it or not, the above is a fair assessment. Marvin’s immediate goal should be a top 3 pick in the draft; why not shut it down if the injury is nagging. If AOC had a similar injury, his decision to play based on immediate goals would likely be different.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Whether we like it or not, the above is a fair assessment. Marvin’s immediate goal should be a top 3 pick in the draft; why not shut it down if the injury is nagging. If AOC had a similar injury, his decision to play based on immediate goals would likely be different.
    B Did some warm ups at Clemson. That From a student here who watched the early stuff. Said he ran layups and then changed clothes - 2nd hand information. Decent information though. He was texting his dad with this information while watching early run through