Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    It didn't seem to me like Grayson was getting better shots than he's been getting all year, he just hit them today. Not sure if that was a coincidence or that his mindset is different without Bagley or what, but regardless it was great to see him knock them down.

As for VT, I know those were the same physical players that beat Virginia over the weekend but man it's hard to believe it. They just looked totally out of sync and couldn't get anything going. While Cameron is a tougher place to play than JPJ arena, I doubt that completely accounted for the difference. So great effort defensively by our guys, especially Javin but really everyone brought it and maintained it for the whole game which is what we've been asking for.

Agree that the defense looked different over the last 10 or so minutes. It was like the 2-3 zone but we dropped back one of the wing players to cover the guy standing in the middle by the free throw line (which had been wide open all night). Really nice adjustment.

Overall a very satisfying win and a baby step towards getting where we want this team to be. Hope Bagley is back soon. The fact that we didn't change our offense but ran the same system that we would with him in there is maybe an indication that we don't expect him to be out long.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    It didn't seem to me like Grayson was getting better shots than he's been getting all year, he just hit them today. Not sure if that was a coincidence or that his mindset is different without Bagley or what, but regardless it was great to see him knock them down.
    Grayson wasn't hesitating on his shot. As soon as he caught it, it was out of his hand. Previously, it seemed like he was thinking about it too much and wasn't releasing it cleanly.

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    I just don’t get the bashing. Good win and Duval played good imho, at least he didn’t play bad. Then a whole post to bash one player...

Oh the hate!!!
    Critiquing and hatred are completely different things. I love Duval and he has off the charts potential however my criticisms are legitimate concerns and his turnovers have been specifically mentioned by the coaching staff to the press. I missed the first half but liked what I saw from him for most of the second half. That said, the sequence I described left me shaking my head.

I liked what I saw from Bolden. He needs to try to control the force behind his blocks a bit better. It seems like he could almost catch the ball some of the time or maybe keep it in play. He really is rounding into form nicely. Javin had some nice plays as well.

Coach K just said that this team will be a zone team for the rest of the year. Major statement there. One I agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    1. Duke is better offensively with Bagley. No questions asked.

2. Duke is better defensively without Bagley. No questions asked.

3. Grayson is better without Bagley. No questions asked.

Re: #2 -- Duke has played zone for the entire game three times this season: the three times that Bagley didn't play. You can blame Bagley if you want, but it's not like there's anything close to a controlled sample. (In fact, I would say that Duke's defense has been the best with Bagley in a zone; namely second half of Miami, FSU, UVA games.)

Re: #3 -- Same comment. Maybe Grayson is better because Bagley isn't in there. But maybe the guy who plays 40 minutes a game does better when he doesn't have to run around in an impossibly outdated, exhausting brand of defense all game.

I hope that the answer isn't "We're better without one of the three most talented players in the country," because if that's true, it's a heck of an indictment, either on him or on Grayson.

Quote Originally Posted by goduke03861 View Post
    Coach K just said that this team will be a zone team for the rest of the year. Major statement there. One I agree with.
    It's a long overdue move. Carter is a monster defending the low blocks but he can't do it if he's constantly getting switched onto guards at the 3 point line.

I felt like, during the game, just from watching, that the Duke defense was doing a pretty solid job.

Then I went to the box scores. Wow!

- Held Justin Robinson to 2-10 shooting for 5 points. He averages nearly 14 ppg and had been on a tear lately; 20 against UVA, 32 against NCSU, 22 against Miami
    - Held Blackshear to 9 points. He averages 13.
    - Only one Hokie scored in double figures
    - VT shot just 43% from the field, 35% from 3
    - held VT to 52 points, which is 31 points below their season average
    - Duke absolutely owned the glass (36-19 boards)

I found it interesting that we saw Vrank and White before Alex O'Connell and that O'Connell only played garbage minutes. Also found it interesting that K went back to a really short bench. Just 6 played over 10 minutes, with Bolden only playing spot minutes.

Didn't look at the stats but I agree with the person who said it was quite a performance from Grayson, Wendell and Trent. Each of them had great games and I waited for the second half swoon, but it never happened. We seemed to play for the entire 40 minutes. Lots of energy, lots of blocks and altered shots, dominant rebounding. We did leave quite a few VT players open, particularly at the top of the key, but VT appeared rattled and didn't shoot well, nor did they get many second opportunities.

I thought Trevon had some really good minutes and also some freshman like plays, but it was an improvement so if he builds on that, we should get stronger and stronger. As far as drawing conclusions about the team beig better defensively without Marvin, I don't believe we can do that without fooling ourselves. Hope he gets back ASAP.

Well that was totally unexpected, but without a doubt greatly appreciated.

Very nice games from Allen, Carter, and Trent. Bolden was solid and Javin didn't get tagged with any cheapies tonight, which is always a pleasant surprise.

I'll leave it at and throw in a big thank you for FSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    It's a long overdue move. Carter is a monster defending the low blocks but he can't do it if he's constantly getting switched onto guards at the 3 point line.
    That and it keeps Carter on the floor longer. He doesn't get as winded, but there was a stretch late in the 2nd half where he seemed to really be struggling getting up and down the court.

Quote Originally Posted by lukeeverettnc View Post
    Re: #2 -- Duke has played zone for the entire game three times this season: the three times that Bagley didn't play. You can blame Bagley if you want, but it's not like there's anything close to a controlled sample. (In fact, I would say that Duke's defense has been the best with Bagley in a zone; namely second half of Miami, FSU, UVA games.)

Re: #3 -- Same comment. Maybe Grayson is better because Bagley isn't in there. But maybe the guy who plays 40 minutes a game does better when he doesn't have to run around in an impossibly outdated, exhausting brand of defense all game.

I hope that the answer isn't "We're better without one of the three most talented players in the country," because if that's true, it's a heck of an indictment, either on him or on Grayson.
    I think Duke is better WITH Bagley. He's a phenomenal offensive player.

And yeah, the sample size on games without Bags is small, but the games with Bags playing D is not. And he's not a good defender.

Luke Kennard was a hero offensively and a disaster defensively. Did you want Kennard starting? Of course you did! (and please don't try to defend Kennard's D. That's as factual as Roy Williams looks like Deputy Dog)
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    I asked this in the in-game thread: we went to a different defense around 9 minutes or so to go in the second half - what was it? It looked a little like a 1-3-1, although the way VT was spread out we ended up with 3 guys outside the 3-point line on it. Either way, it was effective - it closed down a lot of the gaps VT had been finding.
    From up in the end zone later in the first half, at times it looked like a 4-1 zone, with either Antonio or Carter/Bolden playing just in front of the defensive arc. I know it was mostly Javin playing the perimeter since all the VT players were standing outside the 3 point line, but it was working (well, Antonio wasn't great in his couple of minutes there.)

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Watch we come out against Clemson in a M2M.

Quote Originally Posted by lukeeverettnc View Post
    Of course it doesn't have to say anything about either player, but maybe it does say something about the offensive scheme we are using. Maybe we need to treat MBIII as more of a stretch 4, to keep the lanes open.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Of course it doesn't have to say anything about either player, but maybe it does say something about the offensive scheme we are using. Maybe we need to treat MBIII as more of a stretch 4, to keep the lanes open.
    Can we please use Carter as the stretch "4"? He's soooooooooo much better as a shooter than Bagley.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Great win. Lots of good. We’ll be even better when Bagley is back. Grayson hitting some shots is not related to Bagley. I think Grayson’s wrist and hand are getting healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Grayson wasn't hesitating on his shot. As soon as he caught it, it was out of his hand. Previously, it seemed like he was thinking about it too much and wasn't releasing it cleanly.
    So, can we finally forget about "the wrist"??

Quote Originally Posted by westwall View Post
    So, can we finally forget about "the wrist"??
    The wrist is only a great excuse when he shoots poorly

bout time k started listening to dbr.

next goal: Jack white forty minutes a game.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I think Duke is better WITH Bagley. He's a phenomenal offensive player.

And yeah, the sample size on games without Bags is small, but the games with Bags playing D is not. And he's not a good defender.

Luke Kennard was a hero offensively and a disaster defensively. Did you want Kennard starting? Of course you did! (and please don't try to defend Kennard's D. That's as factual as Roy Williams looks like Deputy Dog)
    That's a fair response to my post but I don't agree that Bagley is a bad defender (and no, I'm not going to defend Kennard's D). I actually think Bagley is pretty good ... when we are in a zone. And that's my main point. You can maximize his great offense without losing anything on D, and maybe gaining something.

In the end, I don't think that Duke's zone is just a lesser of two evils. I think it can be really really good with some reps.