Page 6 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Good thread

Just laying down a marker in public so I can stick to it.

I've always been naturally pretty slim. Finished high school at 6'2" and about 158 without a lot of muscle, so pretty scrawny then. Could (and did) eat anything and everything in part because I played sports so was constantly burning calories. I remember going to Subway after school before basketball practice, eating a 12 inch sandwich and a bag of chips (so probably like 1,200 calories), then going home and having a big dinner three hours later after practice. In Durham, I played IM hoops and lifted a couple times a week, so filled out a bit but was still slim. In law school I got into the best shape of my life by using the ergometer 2x/week and running 2-3 miles once or twice a week. The rowing built core strength and was aerobic, too.

As an adult, I grew tired of the drone boredom of the "workout" thing. I have never enjoyed, and will never enjoy, any sort of training class - my personality just does not work with someone telling me how to exercise, barking encouragement at me, and I am not uplifted by the camaraderie of exercising in a group. Great for many people, 100% not for me. I ran at the gym and lifted a bit in the early marriage/having kids years, but it was difficult to get there with a job, and I preferred the weekly basketball games with friends. I've needed an actual game to motivate me in recent years. That was fine through my 30's, but then metabolism slowdown started to make a noticeable difference in the waistline. I probably hovered right around 180 for awhile, and then noticed to my horror about 10 months ago that I'd hit 184. That got me back on the road. I started running again, a couple times a week for a few miles and eventually I mapped out a 5k route I'd do every so often. I often run with my daughter (which is awesome bonding time, btw) and that was enough to cut the excess fat and then maintain where I'd been in my earlier '40's. But nothing serious.

Then at Thanksgiving last year I went out for an informal family turkey trot with my brother, sister-in-law, niece, daughter and son and kept going after we dropped the kids back off and finally got the runner's high I'd forgotten about. I felt like I could have run forever and for the first time in at least a decade I craved my next run.

So, now I'm back at it and consistent again. Weather permitting, I'm out 3x/week - 5k's twice on weekdays before everyone's up and a longer run (have worked it up to 7 miles) on the weekends. With 3 kids, a crappy commute, coaching/volunteer and other community responsibilities, playing tennis and paddle tennis seasonally, and a demanding profession, it is very difficult to carve out much time during the work week unless I want to live on 6 hours of sleep, so I don't think I'll ever be a daily runner, and I can't fit in an hour-long run on a weekday. I'm back to about 174-175 lbs, though. Shed a good bit of fat since last Spring, but countered it with some more muscle mass in my legs especially, so not dropping tons of weight. I'm still not terribly fast. Normally run at about an 8:15 to 8:20 pace regardless of distance (up to about 5 miles).

Goals for 2018:

- cut down the beer intake
    - sub 25 minute 5k (just about there on this one)
    - build to 5 miles in 40 minutes
    - run a couple 10k's
    - get back in the 160's for weight, which might get my waistline back to a 32.

In 2019 I'd like to do a half marathon, and finish in less than 2 hours, possibly adjusting that time goal to 1:50 or 1:45 if I can get to sustaining an 8 min/mile pace at something longer than a few miles. I promise to never, ever put a "13.1" sticker on my car to proclaim it to the world, though.
    Last edited by Mal; 03-01-2018 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Has anyone heard about the Impossible Burger? Even more, has anyone tried it? It's a totally vegan burger, but said to taste more like meat than any other vegan/vegetarian option. They claim that the secret is in their lab-engineered heme, an organic compound that according to the Impossible Burger people "is what makes meat smell, sizzle, bleed, and taste gloriously meaty."
    Anyway, a Friday evening cheeseburger is one of my favorite things in life, and the Impossible Burger is on offer at one of our local joints, so I'm strongly considering trying one this evening. Would love to hear others' reviews, slash I will report back my own feelings once I've had the chance to try it.
    I've tried an impossible burger (as well as dumplings with impossible meat). As someone who loves a good cheeseburger, it was actually pretty good. Texture was fine, and taste was a little different but nowhere near veggie burger territory. That said, it was in a restaurant so the buttered bun, 2 slices of cheese, and chipotle mayo really covered anything up. Not sure how it would be if I grilled it at home (if it's even grill-able). The main issue, as I think someone posted earlier, is that I don't think the impossible burger is any healthier than beef, so it's more for people who have philosophical issues with beef vs having health benefits.

Sushi rolls —Yae or nay for weight loss? Good omega-3 from the fish, seems like cheap carbs from the rice and any sugar-vinegar added (From grocery store, sashimi not an option).

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Sushi rolls —Yae or nay for weight loss? Good omega-3 from the fish, seems like cheap carbs from the rice and any sugar-vinegar added (From grocery store, sashimi not an option).
    Make sure it isn't from the 7-11 or all night gas station.

Well, actually, if you want to LOSE weight, gas station sushi should do the trick.

What kind of sushi roll? If you're eating a (delicious) shrimp tempura roll, you're taking in 508 calories, 21g fat, 64g carbs, and 20g protein. Compare that to a Quarter Pounder with Cheese: 530 calories, 27g fat, 41g carbs, and 31g protein. Neither of these are good for losing weight. Many of the fancy rolls have (delicious) sauces that are based on mayonnaise -- a calorie-dense food that's light on micronutrients.

On the other end of the spectrum, a tuna roll has 184 calories, 2g fat, 27g carbs, and 24g protein. That's looking a lot easier on the waistline.

Sushi rice is made with the sugar-vinegar sauce that can pack a high sodium punch (500mg per roll) even before you put any soy sauce near it. It's not good at all if you need to reduce or restrict your sodium. And it's white rice which has been stripped of fiber and isn't a nutrient dense food (despite how delicious it is) -- and mixed with sweetened vinegar. The nori and fish can add a lot of micronutrients, but check the portion size, too, to be sure that there's enough fish to actually make a serving. Some of the grocery store sushi seems a little light on the fish and heavy on the rice.

Sushi can definitely be part of a healthy diet, but I'd also look to having additional sources of complex carbs that have more fiber and micronutrients during any given week. Those carbs that are coupled with fiber will keep you feeling full much longer.

The good: I made my first goal this past weekend of wearing my wedding tux comfortably. We had a great time at my mother's wedding, and I was proud to show off some of my recent fitness results.

The bad: I've been struggling with some pretty severe soreness in my legs for the past couple of weeks. It usually is worst in the few minutes following my workout, but begins to subside with a little bit of cooldown. It is concentrated in my shins and calf muscles. I have a new pair of shoes arriving any day now, which should help; it was time. Any other pointers, stretches, tricks I should know about?

ah, sashimi would definitely be the way to go...can't you just sort the rice from the sushi and keep the protein?

It is Monday, time to refocus. Not happy with myself looking back on the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    It is Monday, time to refocus. Not happy with myself looking back on the weekend.
    Crosspost to Mmmm Beer?

Same. It's amazing how quickly I go off track if I don't put in my calories in my fitness app.

I'm struggling. My schedule changed with the beginning of the soccer schedule for my kids. That means I can't get my workout in at the gym in the morning (essentially can't go in late AND leave early and I have to leave early for soccer). As my workout's go down so does my diet. Trying to fix it this week. Running a 5k (Get your rear in gear - for colon cancer) on Saturday. That's going to hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    As my workout's go down so does my diet.
    So does your punctuation.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    So does your punctuation.
    Yes it appears that my punctuation has also taken a hit. Wow did I screw that up. Clemson education at it's finest.

(screwed that up on purpose for comedic effect)

Yes it appears that my punctuation has also taken a hit. Wow did I screw that up. Clemson education at it's finest.

(screwed that up on purpose for comedic effect)
    Theirs nuthing funy about eh Clemson edjumacation. Now, on thee uther hand, thee "skool" down the rode frum Duke...

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Theirs nuthing funy about eh Clemson edjumacation. Now, on thee uther hand, thee "skool" down the rode frum Duke...

Clemson is a fine university and a beautiful campus.

UNC can go to Hell.

UNC can go to Hell.
    I intended no slight whatsoever toward Clemson and/or elvis14 but I fear you may have interpreted it in that manner. I am sorry if it appeared that way. Now, as to the perfidious vermin at "u"nc, I, once again, totally agree with the bolded part above.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I intended no slight whatsoever toward Clemson and/or elvis14 but I fear you may have interpreted it in that manner. I am sorry if it appeared that way. Now, as to the perfidious vermin at "u"nc, I, once again, totally agree with the bolded part above.
    I was just drawing a distinction between an institution of higher learning, and a bunch of lying, cheating, scheming, thieving weasel-bastards. No slight here.

We are good, Doc. Your post was not a slight against Clemson at all. Heck if you guys really want to know, I went to grad school at Clemson after getting a degree from Lander (I'll wait here while you all Google Lander). That's how one becomes a Duke fan despite going to Clemson...just not the same when it's grad school and I worked full time to pay for Lander while I was there and never made it to a single basketball game in 4 years.

Now about my struggles on the fitness front...

UNC can go to Hell.
    I was just drawing a distinction between an institution of higher learning, and a bunch of lying, cheating, scheming, thieving weasel-bastards. No slight here.
    We are good, Doc. Your post was not a slight against Clemson at all. Heck if you guys really want to know, I went to grad school at Clemson after getting a degree from Lander (I'll wait here while you all Google Lander). That's how one becomes a Duke fan despite going to Clemson...just not the same when it's grad school and I worked full time to pay for Lander while I was there and never made it to a single basketball game in 4 years.

Now about my struggles on the fitness front...
    AHEM...

This thread is for the discussion of any and all fitness-related endeavors.
    You people.

Back to my recent question: I've lately been struggling with some fairly acute soreness/tightness in my calf muscles immediately after working out, plus some medium-level shin splint discomfort. I have new running shoes arriving any day now, which should help some, but can anyone recommend some stretches or other procedures to alleviate these pains?

AHEM...

You people.

Back to my recent question: I've lately been struggling with some fairly acute soreness/tightness in my calf muscles immediately after working out, plus some medium-level shin splint discomfort. I have new running shoes arriving any day now, which should help some, but can anyone recommend some stretches or other procedures to alleviate these pains?
    Don't know about specific stretches, but more hydration may help the calf muscle issue.