Page 36 of 42 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast
    https://winstonfitness.com/product/i...-m1-multi-gym/

we got one of these M1 Inspire units some years ago (when they were somewhat cheaper) and we like it...you can do a lot of basic stuff, but the quality is high enough so the cables don't kink and the unit is smooth...good enough for my olde farte requirements...

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Curious if anyone has invested in a home/garage gym...specifically, a barbell, bumper plates and a simple squat/bench rack? We've had 2 kids during the pandemic and between wanting to be very cautious with exposure, the idea of lifting in a mask just isn't something that sounds fun so we're thinking about cancelling our gym membership (which has barely been used in 2 years) and just upgrading our home equipment. I've been looking at what Rogue has to offer and I can get what I need for <$1,000, which is about what our annual gym membership is for 2 adults, then I think it'll pay for itself in the long run. Thoughts?
    I did just this during the pandemic and haven't rejoined a gym yet. I spent more than $1,000, but IMO got the most bang for my buck.

I have really enjoyed working out in the fresh air (Arnold once said something to this effect about working out at Venice Beach). You also save a lot of time not having to commute back and forth to the gym. Even on a busy day, you can hop outside for a few quick sets.

Our main home gym pieces are:

Rogue Monster Lite Half Rack
    Rogue Flat Utility Bench 2.0
    Rogue Monster Lite Safety Spotter Arms (I use these to stay safe during bench press, but also for dips!)
    Rogue Monster Lite Plate Storage Channel
    Rogue V2 Gun Rack

I have a Rogue Power Lifting Bar, a Rogue Olympic Bar, and about 400 pounds of bumper plates from Rep Fitness. The bumper plates were a bit less expensive from Rep Fitness, but just as good as the lower end Rogue plates, IMO. My old gym had Rogue bumpers and I haven't seen much difference. We also have two plyoboxes, one purchased locally and one on Amazon from Rage Fitness, which are both adequate.

Please feel free to DM if you have any questions. You can check out our setup here if you like: https://www.instagram.com/atlifter/
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
    I've decided I needed a challenge headed into my 60th birthday, so I set a goal of 1000 pounds combined lift (bench, deadlift, squat) with a 24:00 5k. Big change from distance running. I have a little less than a year.
    That's good for any age amateur lifter, let alone one approaching 60. How close are you now?

Good luck!
    Also curious what you are at now and what kind of plan you are following for the lifts.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

That's good for any age amateur lifter, let alone one approaching 60. How close are you now?

Good luck!
    One year out (birthday is just before Christmas). I tested bench last week and hit 215. Not too bad but I probably lost a bit on the top end during the holidays. I tested deadlift, too. I haven't done those in years but clocked in at 305, so happy with that as a starting point. I haven't tested squats. Combined, I'm probably at the 750-770 pound mark, so I need improvement by a third on each in the next 12 months. Doable, but not easy.

The 5K will be interesting. I've never had any speed (hence ultrarunning) and my oxygen uptake has always been pretty low. I get by on efficiency. I would have picked a longer distance, but the training time would be prohibitive with the other goals, plus I'd have to lose a my body fat plus 10 pounds of lean mass to get to my old race weight of 168 pounds. (I'm 6'3" for reference.) I'm guessing I need at least another tens pounds of lean mass to hit the lifting goals, so I'll bell hitting that 5K at 200-205 pounds (minimum.) I was always a high mileage runner (70+ miles per week when I actively trained) but will be trying this on 25-30 miles per week on 4 workouts.

First major check on progress will be June at the halfway mark. I'll post where I am at then. In the meantime, I'll keep my head down and grind. Too dumb to quit is solidly within my skillset.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    I did just this during the pandemic and haven't rejoined a gym yet. I spent more than $1,000, but IMO got the most bang for my buck.

I have really enjoyed working out in the fresh air (Arnold once said something to this effect about working out at Venice Beach). You also save a lot of time not having to commute back and forth to the gym. Even on a busy day, you can hop outside for a few quick sets.

Our main home gym pieces are:

Rogue Monster Lite Half Rack
    Rogue Flat Utility Bench 2.0
    Rogue Monster Lite Safety Spotter Arms (I use these to stay safe during bench press, but also for dips!)
    Rogue Monster Lite Plate Storage Channel
    Rogue V2 Gun Rack

I have a Rogue Power Lifting Bar, a Rogue Olympic Bar, and about 400 pounds of bumper plates from Rep Fitness. The bumper plates were a bit less expensive from Rep Fitness, but just as good as the lower end Rogue plates, IMO. My old gym had Rogue bumpers and I haven't seen much difference. We also have two plyoboxes, one purchased locally and one on Amazon from Rage Fitness, which are both adequate.

Please feel free to DM if you have any questions. You can check out our setup here if you like: https://www.instagram.com/atlifter/
    I second this by Edouble. My son-in-law uses Rogue racks and plates. He loves them. And, the cost savings is substantial depending on fees for local gyms with an added benefit that you never have to wait on equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    That was me a few years ago! You just have to push through. At first, you won’t feel like you’re getting any faster or stronger. Then you’ll start to notice that you recover quicker. You don’t get sore after running. Then you start feeling more confident in running a bit longer each time, knowing you won’t be sore afterwards. Then you start getting faster!
    Day three coming up, wish me luck, bringing the dog

Quote Originally Posted by fuqua1997 View Post
    Anyone ever done a couch to 5k and had luck with it? I started one two days ago, needless to say, I am sore!
    I have a few friends who have done that and loved it. I think the beauty of it is that it guides you through intervals, and intervals provide a really good path for building up running muscles and endurance safely. My advice: 1) during the first couple weeks try to keep the effort part of each interval “doable”. Don’t overexert during the efforts so that you don’t get injured and so that you don’t get discouraged. Once you are a few weeks into the program, you will know if you can push a little harder. 2) if your form starts to go south during an effort, you are more susceptible to injury and you should pull back a little. Personally, I can tell my form is deteriorating if my posture suffers or if my feet start to “plop”. As long as my posture is good and my feet hit lightly, I am using my core and protecting my back.

Quote Originally Posted by fuqua1997 View Post
    Day three coming up, wish me luck, bringing the dog
    You got this!

Another app I’d recommend is the Nike Run Club app. They have a ton of awesome guided runs that really helped me (and still do). My favorites are the ones where they bring in the guy from Headspace—the run turns into a sort of meditative thing as well.

The main head coach, a guy named Chris Bennett, is a Tar Heel, but I won’t hold that against him.

You got this!

Another app I’d recommend is the Nike Run Club app. They have a ton of awesome guided runs that really helped me (and still do). My favorites are the ones where they bring in the guy from Headspace—the run turns into a sort of meditative thing as well.

The main head coach, a guy named Chris Bennett, is a Tar Heel, but I won’t hold that against him.
    Whew, man, I am going to be tired this evening, sad to say I am out of shape! Thanks for the information, I will definitely check out the Nike Run Club. Happy New Year!

Another app I’d recommend is the Nike Run Club app. They have a ton of awesome guided runs that really helped me (and still do).
    Another app that I like is the Peloton App. You can get that even if you don’t own a bike (and you can try 60 days for free). I love their outdoor runs, as they have a variety of lengths, music genres, and run formats (interval runs, walk/runs, straight runs). Also, with the Peloton App you can get strength workouts, stretches specifically for post-run, yoga, etc…

Have a NY goal to break a sweat every day in January. Early but so far so good. I’ve given my wife permission to yell at me. Encouragement, hopefully.

Like all Americans, my goal for the New Year is to get in better shape. I have two pre-teen sons and live in a modest Manhattan apartment so I have extremely limited space. I have a general sense of what works and doesn't work for me. I am not a runner. When I was a kid we had a Nordic Track ski machine and I enjoyed that, but it was in a house so we could leave it set up all the time. I generally enjoy doing ellipticals. I don't want any of the new subscription model type devices - I would just watch TV while using it. I am looking to improve my cardio, muscle tone, and all of my excess weight seems to gravitate to my mid-section (I would like to lose about 15 pounds so I am overweight but not obese). I have some dumbbells that are collecting dust in my closet - I need to start using those more.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would like to keep the cost down as much as possible, but I also believe that you get what you pay for so I don't want the super cheapo model that will fall apart in a week. Preferably something as small as possible that can be moved around relatively easily.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Like all Americans, my goal for the New Year is to get in better shape. I have two pre-teen sons and live in a modest Manhattan apartment so I have extremely limited space. I have a general sense of what works and doesn't work for me. I am not a runner. When I was a kid we had a Nordic Track ski machine and I enjoyed that, but it was in a house so we could leave it set up all the time. I generally enjoy doing ellipticals. I don't want any of the new subscription model type devices - I would just watch TV while using it. I am looking to improve my cardio, muscle tone, and all of my excess weight seems to gravitate to my mid-section (I would like to lose about 15 pounds so I am overweight but not obese). I have some dumbbells that are collecting dust in my closet - I need to start using those more.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would like to keep the cost down as much as possible, but I also believe that you get what you pay for so I don't want the super cheapo model that will fall apart in a week. Preferably something as small as possible that can be moved around relatively easily.

Thanks in advance.
    Rollerblades? You’ve got some pretty good paved spaces for them in NYC. Seems like ‘blading through Central Park, for example, would be a hoot.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Rollerblades? You’ve got some pretty good paved spaces for them in NYC. Seems like ‘blading through Central Park, for example, would be a hoot.
    Thanks. I like to bike ride and my kids just learned to ride so that is great - we live very close to Riverside Park which is incredible for biking. But I need something I can do in our apartment, especially in the winter when it is cold and dark.

Thanks. I like to bike ride and my kids just learned to ride so that is great - we live very close to Riverside Park which is incredible for biking. But I need something I can do in our apartment, especially in the winter when it is cold and dark.
    Pushups, dumbell work. I do 500 pushups a day. Now I am a crazy person, but I love the workout. I travel to Canada and purchased cold weather workout gear and I walk 20,000 steps a day.

Since you like to bike and already have wheels why not get a trainer and sign up for Zwift? Small footprint and an activity you know you enjoy.

Thanks in advance.
    3-4x a week I’ll google a HIIT workout and just do whatever I see that looks good that day. Usually 20-40 minutes. Sometimes body weight, sometimes dumbbells. Sometimes circuit, sometimes no repeats.

We gave up our gym membership finally and I’m going to invest in a simple rack and barbells for a home gym but the above has been my Covid go to because there are a TON of free videos with great workouts so find the people and pace you like.

Thanks in advance.
    You might take a look at the TRX suspension system for the lifting side of things. It's built to be portable and used in confined spaces. I use it when I go on the road and like it. Fairly low cost of entry, too, so if you don't like it, you have wasted a ton of money.

Have a NY goal to break a sweat every day in January. Early but so far so good. I’ve given my wife permission to yell at me. Encouragement, hopefully.
    17/17 so far. My wife had to yell at me on Friday to do one but all in all good.

My goal this year was to run a 10K. I’ve already run three this month. I’ve run 59 miles total already this January. Legs are feeling good. I got a new pair of running shoes which feel amazing. They’re the Asics Gel-Nimbus 24. I got some new running socks by Stance, too. Looking forward to a great year of running. Last year was kind of a lower total mileage year for me - 650ish miles total on the year. Hope to run 750+ miles this year!