Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Excellent! I do a lot of heavy bag work. Boxing is a crazy good workout. Cardio disguised as strength.
    That's a really good reminder. I have a heavy bag and gloves but don't use them much. Technically I bought them for my daughters but I use the bag from time to time. Might be time to add it back in.

Been back in a gym lifting for a few weeks. Really enjoy lifting again.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    That's a really good reminder. I have a heavy bag and gloves but don't use them much. Technically I bought them for my daughters but I use the bag from time to time. Might be time to add it back in.

Been back in a gym lifting for a few weeks. Really enjoy lifting again.
    I usually ask Siri to set a timer for 3 minutes. I hit the bag for 3 minutes and then set a one minute break. Rinse and repeat 3 to 5 times. If you go hard for those 3 minutes, you'll be spent after 5 rounds.

Feeling pretty froggy. Made it to the pool 3 times this week.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Had a great morning workout today, but not before arguing with myself about getting up for like 20 minutes.

Anybody got any helpful hints on how to more easily win those arguments?
    This probably isnt helpful but for some reason it has stuck with me. I read awhile ago that Dwayne the Rock always goes to the gym but he doesn't always work out. No matter what, he gets ready, drives all the way to the gym, grabs the handle of the door and at that moment he decides if he wants to work out. If he still doesn't feel like doing it then he simply turns around and drives home. Obviously there are some flaws but I have found it helps my motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by thedukeman View Post
    This probably isnt helpful but for some reason it has stuck with me. I read awhile ago that Dwayne the Rock always goes to the gym but he doesn't always work out. No matter what, he gets ready, drives all the way to the gym, grabs the handle of the door and at that moment he decides if he wants to work out. If he still doesn't feel like doing it then he simply turns around and drives home. Obviously there are some flaws but I have found it helps my motivation.
    The easy days are the ones where you are up for it, get to the gym (or wherever you workout) and get after it. To me, however, the days that make a difference are the days where you're not really up for it but workout anyway. Today's a perfect example for me. I wasn't really up for the workout. Went anyway, did 25 minutes on a treadmill...mostly walking (I usually do intervals). Then I did 1 back exercise (assisted chins) and some curls and I left. Taken out of context, a pretty lame workout. But in the context of "I really didn't want to go but I went anyway" it's a great workout and it's days like this that I feel make a big difference in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    The easy days are the ones where you are up for it, get to the gym (or wherever you workout) and get after it. To me, however, the days that make a difference are the days where you're not really up for it but workout anyway. Today's a perfect example for me. I wasn't really up for the workout. Went anyway, did 25 minutes on a treadmill...mostly walking (I usually do intervals). Then I did 1 back exercise (assisted chins) and some curls and I left. Taken out of context, a pretty lame workout. But in the context of "I really didn't want to go but I went anyway" it's a great workout and it's days like this that I feel make a big difference in the long run.
    Perfect. Exactly.

Finished my first marathon yesterday morning. 2:42:43. Quads are absolutely shot today.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Finished my first marathon yesterday morning. 2:42:43. Quads are absolutely shot today.
    Congratulations!

That's an amazing time. Well done!

Amazing!

Impressive, well done!

Congrats, luburch! That's amazing, and something I will never accomplish.

My current goals are far more modest: I want to get my 5k time back down. In the before times, I was down to where my standard morning runs were between 23 and 24 minutes, with a PB of 22:01.
    Right now, I'm still very much earning my way back after Covid interruptions, vacation, etc. Today I ran a 26:25 5k, which is not horrible and represents recent progress, but I want to get those last 3 minutes shaved back off (and then ideally keep pushing lower).
    I've read that one or two sessions per week with sprint intervals of about 200m each can help build muscle strength and improve speed in longer runs, so I'm going to try that out soon.
    Anybody got any other recommendations?

Congrats, luburch! That's amazing, and something I will never accomplish.

My current goals are far more modest: I want to get my 5k time back down. In the before times, I was down to where my standard morning runs were between 23 and 24 minutes, with a PB of 22:01.
    Right now, I'm still very much earning my way back after Covid interruptions, vacation, etc. Today I ran a 26:25 5k, which is not horrible and represents recent progress, but I want to get those last 3 minutes shaved back off (and then ideally keep pushing lower).
    I've read that one or two sessions per week with sprint intervals of about 200m each can help build muscle strength and improve speed in longer runs, so I'm going to try that out soon.
    Anybody got any other recommendations?
    Get motivated:

https://www.active.com/atlanta-ga/ru...3-834768568B7A
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Go get em!

I got a pork loin I plan on fitness mouth later.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    I registered on Sunday! Will you be running? We should drink a beer afterward.

I registered on Sunday! Will you be running? We should drink a beer afterward.
    Nice, I may or may not run it depending on my plantar fasciitis. It has been a thorn in my side all year. Beer for sure if I end up running it. I will register just to get the shirt though, and give my number away if I don't run it.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Great time! Got me beat by 22 minutes! Which did you do? Will you do Boston now? That’s the best event of any I’ve done. Big Sur is the most beautiful course.

I have done pushups in 20 states, Washington DC and Canada since January.

Just finished my first official race in quite some time. Finished the 5k at 24:00 flat, more or less…around a 7:40 split on my miles. I’m quite pleased with that, given the 20+ months of pandemic fitness disruptions and a forced complete shutdown of about 3 weeks in August/September due to an injury.