Page 29 of 42 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    There is glory in suffering. I believe in the Ellis Boyd Redding theory of exercise: "It comes down to a simple choice really, get busy living or get busy dying."

Whoa! 13 lbs is a lot! Strong work!
    About four pounds of that is probably water weight from not drinking alcohol. Had to work for the other nine.

And here comes Lent...
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

A couple of buddies and I started a pushup routine January 1st. We are trying to do 500 push-ups a day x 5 out of 7 days. I have slowly ramped up from 150 a day until this week which is my first run at 500 a day. I am shocked that my body simply cannot get used to this. I'm not constantly sore, as much as constantly tight.
    You’ll need a lot of protein to support that regimen. Do you know what the top 5 lean, high protein, low fat meats are? I can post a list if you’d like.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    And here comes Lent...
    Law of unintended consequences. 15 years or so ago I gave up caffeine for Lent. When I reintroduced it it absolutely destroyed my ability to sleep. So now I can have a cup of coffee in the morning but no other caffeine the rest of the day or I will be awake for the rest of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    You’ll need a lot of protein to support that regimen. Do you know what the top 5 lean, high protein, low fat meats are? I can post a list if you’d like.
    Great. The ghost of Thanksgiving past.

Great. The ghost of Thanksgiving past.
    I’m just trying to be helpful. For a lifter like you, turkey sounds like a no-brainer staple.

I’m just trying to be helpful. For a lifter like you, turkey sounds like a no-brainer staple.
    I eat 0% lean meat. All fat, all the time.

This isn't true. Sometimes I slip up and eat fish. Fish might as well be a vegetable.

Did a leg and back workout this AM. All basement workouts these days. Tons of good HIIT and other free YouTube videos which is nice. We’ve also dusted off old P90x videos, which have been helpful for weight routines.

A couple of buddies and I started a pushup routine January 1st. We are trying to do 500 push-ups a day x 5 out of 7 days. I have slowly ramped up from 150 a day until this week which is my first run at 500 a day. I am shocked that my body simply cannot get used to this. I'm not constantly sore, as much as constantly tight.
    Wow, 500 a day is an ambitious goal. Your friends must be in better shape younger than mine (guys in our 50's), we have done 100 a day for a week or longer on occasion. I kinda feel like the 100 a day isn't fair...I'm pretty much built for pushups: 5'7", short arms, stronger than normal triceps, 150lbs. Once I start one of these challenges it' doesn't take too long before I can knock out 100 a day fairly easily. But 500, is impressive. I think I could get there but it wouldn't be easy and it would hurt!

Did a leg and back workout this AM. All basement workouts these days. Tons of good HIIT and other free YouTube videos which is nice. We’ve also dusted off old P90x videos, which have been helpful for weight routines.
    I've done p90x a few times as well as Insanity and Insanity Max 30 (finished the latter last year). They always work. I have Beachbody on Demand which allows me to stream any of the BB workouts. This morning, I started a new one: mbf (Muscle Burns Fat). I haven't worked out for a while so although I think this program will be easier than p90x and Insanity, it killed me this morning. Hope I can get some momentum, it's been months since I've worked out with any regularity. I chose MBF because it has some lifting components to it and I don't want to lose weight.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Wow, 500 a day is an ambitious goal. Your friends must be in better shape younger than mine (guys in our 50's), we have done 100 a day for a week or longer on occasion. I kinda feel like the 100 a day isn't fair...I'm pretty much built for pushups: 5'7", short arms, stronger than normal triceps, 150lbs. Once I start one of these challenges it' doesn't take too long before I can knock out 100 a day fairly easily. But 500, is impressive. I think I could get there but it wouldn't be easy and it would hurt!
    I'm 47 and similar build, if a bit heavier. I slow rolled this. I was already lifting so 200 a day x 2 weeks, then 300 x 2, then 400 x 2. Today way day 1 of 500. It is, ummm...abbitious. it is really freaking hard.

I'm 47 and similar build, if a bit heavier. I slow rolled this. I was already lifting so 200 a day x 2 weeks, then 300 x 2, then 400 x 2. Today was day 1 of 500. It is, ummm...ambitious. it is really freaking hard.
    Sounds like you did this the right way. Good luck! 'really freaking hard' is just true!

I was in great shape in June after finishing Insanity Max 30 but my workouts dropped down to nothing so I'm once again hoping to gain some momentum starting today. I guess we will see. I should issue a pushup challenge to my usual group of guys...that accountability is a great motivator!

I’ve long used the excuse that I’m too long to build significant muscle mass. Squats and bent over rows, in particular, after a certain weight feel unstable and unsafe for me. Deadlifts are pretty good because I have long arms but for those too I feel pretty awkward generating the initial thrust from an unnatural position.

I’m 6’4”. Not sure I’ve ever measured properly but I think my wingspan is pretty good and I’ve got long legs and never had an ample derrière.

Lots of excuses but I do lift for overall health and miss the gym.

I’ve long used the excuse that I’m too long to build significant muscle mass. Squats and bent over rows, in particular, after a certain weight feel unstable and unsafe for me. Deadlifts are pretty good because I have long arms but for those too I feel pretty awkward generating the initial thrust from an unnatural position.

I’m 6’4”. Not sure I’ve ever measured properly but I think my wingspan is pretty good and I’ve got long legs and never had an ample derrière.
    Most important question: could you ever dunk?

Most important question: could you ever dunk?
    Yes but it was never pretty.

Yes but it was never pretty.
    There are zero qualifiers. I could dunk a volleyball but I couldn't palm a basketball. I could miss dunks with a basketball though and I (in)famously missed a tip dunk in a game against a rival that was a terrible decision. Because I couldn't dunk. A quick substitution followed my momentary lapse in judgment.

There are zero qualifiers. I could dunk a volleyball but I couldn't palm a basketball. I could miss dunks with a basketball though and I (in)famously missed a tip dunk in a game against a rival that was a terrible decision. Because I couldn't dunk. A quick substitution followed my momentary lapse in judgment.
    Only thing I could ever dunk was a tennis ball (did I mention 5'7" and short arms).

I'm a volleyball player, at my age (53), it's going to be interesting to see how effective I am after not playing for more than a year b/c of covid.

You want to talk feeling stupid on a basketball court? The men and women’s players would sometimes play pick up games at Wilson in the summer. I was always the tallest “not varsity player” so I got stuck defending guys like Shelden Williams, who my mom believes tore my retina (what cost Scheyer his career).

Talk about out of one’s league...

You want to talk feeling stupid on a basketball court? The men and women’s players would sometimes play pick up games at Wilson in the summer. I was always the tallest “not varsity player” so I got stuck defending guys like Shelden Williams, who my mom believes tore my retina (what cost Scheyer his career).

Talk about out of one’s league...
    Great story!

Great story!
    Tell that to my left eye!