Page 27 of 43 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

I have to admit that I finished 2020 and have started 2021 not great on the fitness/workout front.

Just can't seem to gain any momentum. Ironic that I know it's all mental, stress, etc...meanwhile I'm 100% aware that exercise helps with all of that...vicious cycle.

I'm currently a perfect example of how weight and fitness are related but not a 1-1 relationship. I had some stressful stuff added to my life in early October. I had worked out a bunch last year and was in pretty good shape and about 2 lbs below my goal weight. I'm now about 8lbs lighter and in worse shape! I'm actually trying to put weight on!

Sorry...TMI, I know! But sometimes it's just good to say it to give myself some accountability. Need to get back to working out for lots of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I have to admit that I finished 2020 and have started 2021 not great on the fitness/workout front.

Just can't seem to gain any momentum. Ironic that I know it's all mental, stress, etc...meanwhile I'm 100% aware that exercise helps with all of that...vicious cycle.

I'm currently a perfect example of how weight and fitness are related but not a 1-1 relationship. I had some stressful stuff added to my life in early October. I had worked out a bunch last year and was in pretty good shape and about 2 lbs below my goal weight. I'm now about 8lbs lighter and in worse shape! I'm actually trying to put weight on!

Sorry...TMI, I know! But sometimes it's just good to say it to give myself some accountability. Need to get back to working out for lots of reasons.
    Good luck -- DBR is behind you!

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I’ve been out of rhythm, unmotivated, and unfulfilled in recent months. Hard to stick with things when it feels unsafe to go to the gym. Hopeful that that gets easier soon, but in need of something to get me going in the meantime.
    Sorry, Wilson. I thought you were an outdoor runner though?

Could you go for a walk or walk/run twice a week for starters?
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post

I'm in the same boat. I have a hard time gaining weight. However, I have had a really good experience working out from home over the pandemic. I have adjustable dumbbells (5-50 lbs), a cable weight machine (Norditrack k360 which is old. Bought it for like $200 bucks last summer from a moving sale), a bunch of bands and a pull-up bar. That is more than enough. I could probably workout ok without the cable machine but it's convenient to have. I am now at my goal weight (up 8 lbs since October) and think that I might raise my goal weight by another 5 lbs.

The interesting thing is that I have added the weight while also considerably reducing animal proteins in my diet. I go to an integrative medicine MD that studied under Deepak Chopra. He ran these inflammation tests that showed that I have a really high inflammation response to chicken, eggs, dairy, watermelon and bananas. I used to eat all of those other than watermelon daily. In fact, my lunch almost every day was grilled chicken breast, rice and a vegetable. Once I significantly reduced my intake of those four things I felt so much better. The MD recommended that I lower all animal protein. So I did. I usually don’t have any animal protein until dinner now. I feel so much better. It might be a placebo effect, but I don’t care. Before I saw this Doctor, I actually went to Mayo Clinic to their consultative and diagnostic medicine group because I was feeling so bad. They found a sleep issue which really helped me feel better once fixed. That along with the change in diet has really changed my life.

I've noted it here several times. Athleanx.com (more specifically their youtube page) is the best thing going for working out. The youtube content is free. Jeff posts new stuff to youtube about 3 times a week. There must be 500 or more videos available. He even did a whole series on no equipment strength training. It really provides the right motivation. I've realized that if you move quickly and work hard, you can get a really good workout in 25 minutes or even less. Anyone can find 25 minutes.

Good luck getting back to it!

I slacked from September to December in my fitness endeavors but bought a used treadmill (Life Fitness model from gyms) off a guy who refurbishes them.

I have logged 50 miles this month jogging on it. It goes in our storage room that we cleaned out and organized to make room for it. It’s very convenient to be able to hop on whenever I want.

I was a frequent gym goer for probably 15 years or so but stopped going last year due to the pandemic. I don’t know if I’ll be back.

2020 was possibly my best year of fitness.

With the money I was no longer paying to a commercial CrossFit gym in monthly membership fees, I acquired the pieces to a home gym, which now consists of a small Rogue rig (rack + pullup bars), four barbells, 400 pounds of bumper plates, four kettlebells, a bench, rings, a plyobox, two wall balls, powerlifting bands and chains, and a Concept 2 rowing machine.

The luxury of being able to walk outside and do a workout can not be understated. There's no excuse not to just take 20 minutes and get in a full set of squats. For the first time I am working out on weekend days too.

At age 43, I have been able to increase my bench press PR by 10 pounds to 260, so anything is possible with consistent work.

Perhaps this was discussed upthread, but I've gotten good results from Noom, both the app and the dietary philosophy. Lots of good behavioral coaching and an emphasis on low-caloric-density foods...so far (3 weeks) it's been very effective and I feel like I can stick with it.

Where to post this? Here is as good a place as any I suppose.

As I wind my way on my morning walk I hear in the distance a plaintive call in the twilight just before sunrise, wafting over the hills and valleys, reminiscent of the howl of a lone wolf.

Who makes this high pitched wail? I think I know. It is the brakes of the garbage truck on its early morning pickup rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    2020 was possibly my best year of fitness.

With the money I was no longer paying to a commercial CrossFit gym in monthly membership fees, I acquired the pieces to a home gym, which now consists of a small Rogue rig (rack + pullup bars), four barbells, 400 pounds of bumper plates, four kettlebells, a bench, rings, a plyobox, two wall balls, powerlifting bands and chains, and a Concept 2 rowing machine.

The luxury of being able to walk outside and do a workout can not be understated. There's no excuse not to just take 20 minutes and get in a full set of squats. For the first time I am working out on weekend days too.

At age 43, I have been able to increase my bench press PR by 10 pounds to 260, so anything is possible with consistent work.
    I'm sure that post-Covid you will be able to buy a lot of really nice equipment at a huge discount. People will sell a lot of the stuff they aren't using anymore. I'm hoping for a folding rack. I really like being able to fold it close to wall and out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    I'm sure that post-Covid you will be able to buy a lot of really nice equipment at a huge discount. People will sell a lot of the stuff they aren't using anymore. I'm hoping for a folding rack. I really like being able to fold it close to wall and out of the way.
    That would be great. I'd love to have 2-3 sets of dumbbells, one more set of 45 pound plates, and another Kettlebell or two.

Good thoughts... I should start making a wishlist.

I love those fold out racks. Considered getting one, but went with the freestanding model.

Currently in my "I'm thinking about training for a marathon" phase of the year.

I've been at 6 runs a week since mid-November. Starting to slowly increase my weekly mileage. Will hit 40 again this week and did my first actual workout in a couple years on Tuesday.

Just worried that I won't be able to find a race on a certified course due to covid restrictions. Need to start searching.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post

I've been at 6 runs a week since mid-November. Starting to slowly increase my weekly mileage. Will hit 40 again this week and did my first actual workout in a couple years on Tuesday.

Just worried that I won't be able to find a race on a certified course due to covid restrictions. Need to start searching.
    I’m signed up for one in Carmel, IN the first weekend of April, having deferred on that one last year. A colleague on a 50-states mission has done some very small ones during the pandemic. If Carmel is cancelled again, I’ll take the virtual option and just run 26.2 on my own this year.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post

The Vermont City Marathon (Burlington) on May 30 is a splendidly scenic course and it's a major fun event

Had a goal of working out every day in January. Didn't quite get there but hit 25/31 w/ the weakest sauce being hilly walks and the other days being runs and home gym lifts. Not too bad. Having a baby in the house definitely can torpedo your day and a pregnant wife means there are lots of sugary temptations. Net positive though.

Despite intermittent rain most of the day yesterday and max temp of 36, I still managed to get >20K steps but didn't reach the 10 mile goal. No problem, as Saturday I (barely) hit both targets but exceeded both nicely on Friday.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

When I'm on my health kick, I track exercise done in 30 minute increments.

January, I logged 25 hours of exercise (almost exclusively weekend/holiday walking or hiking). Dropped 9.4 pounds.

Can't wait until it warms up and I can get kayaking back into the mix. Also can't wait until Daylight Savings Time so I can log some hours after work while it is still light.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Where to post this? Here is as good a place as any I suppose.

As I wind my way on my morning walk I hear in the distance a plaintive call in the twilight just before sunrise, wafting over the hills and valleys, reminiscent of the howl of a lone wolf.

Who makes this high pitched wail? I think I know. It is the brakes of the garbage truck on its early morning pickup rounds.
    Tres romantique, as the French would say...

Anyone have advice for a newbie swimmer? I’m battling foot ailments and cannot run (my go to exercise). I’ve been swimming once a week for three weeks now. First two times I swam for 20 min. Yesterday I made it 25 min. I alternate crawl and breaststroke — after a few laps of crawl I get short of breath and it’s uncomfortable.

Any and all advice would be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Anyone have advice for a newbie swimmer? I’m battling foot ailments and cannot run (my go to exercise). I’ve been swimming once a week for three weeks now. First two times I swam for 20 min. Yesterday I made it 25 min. I alternate crawl and breaststroke — after a few laps of crawl I get short of breath and it’s uncomfortable.

Any and all advice would be appreciated!
    I have been a swimmer for a long time (since childhood and my life guarding days in high school and college). My advice as far as swimming freestyle for an extended period is to develop a steady breathing pattern. When I run, I use a 2/2 breathing pattern (2 steps exhaling, 2 steps inhaling). It is similar with swimming, although likely a 1/1 or 2/1 pattern. I actually prefer 2/1...I exhale steadily for two full strokes (obviously underwater), then inhale for one. This means I alternate the side on which I breathe, which also keeps me swimming in a straight line. Try to make sure your exhales and inhales are slow and steady. Avoid short, quick breaths as they are more likely to leave you gasping and short of breath. The better your breathing rhythm, the easier swimming will become.

If you are kicking hard, that could also tire you out. I almost drag my feet (but not so much that your feet sink though) and I kick lightly maybe once or twice a stroke.

Also, just as you have extended your total time swimming, try to set a goal for uninterrupted laps of freestyle. Start with something challenging but doable for you (6 straight laps, 10 straight laps...). Then at each swim, extend it by two laps.

The other strategy I always employed is to “think beyond the turn”. Don’t think about getting to the wall...think about the stroke that will follow your turn. I assume you are not doing flip turns, so it is important to touch the wall and immediately pull your knees/feet in to push off in the other direction...no pausing!

Hope some of this helps! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    I have been a swimmer for a long time (since childhood and my life guarding days in high school and college). My advice as far as swimming freestyle for an extended period is to develop a steady breathing pattern. When I run, I use a 2/2 breathing pattern (2 steps exhaling, 2 steps inhaling). It is similar with swimming, although likely a 1/1 or 2/1 pattern. I actually prefer 2/1...I exhale steadily for two full strokes (obviously underwater), then inhale for one. This means I alternate the side on which I breathe, which also keeps me swimming in a straight line. Try to make sure your exhales and inhales are slow and steady. Avoid short, quick breaths as they are more likely to leave you gasping and short of breath. The better your breathing rhythm, the easier swimming will become.

If you are kicking hard, that could also tire you out. I almost drag my feet (but not so much that your feet sink though) and I kick lightly maybe once or twice a stroke.

Also, just as you have extended your total time swimming, try to set a goal for uninterrupted laps of freestyle. Start with something challenging but doable for you (6 straight laps, 10 straight laps...). Then at each swim, extend it by two laps.

The other strategy I always employed is to “think beyond the turn”. Don’t think about getting to the wall...think about the stroke that will follow your turn. I assume you are not doing flip turns, so it is important to touch the wall and immediately pull your knees/feet in to push off in the other direction...no pausing!

Hope some of this helps! Good luck!
    I switched from a 2:1 to a 3:1 breathing (breath one side, stroke, stroke, stoke, breath the other) about 12 years ago. That seems to work for me. I don't do any intense intervals, just the equivalent of a jog in the water, and I have found that's great for me.