Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    ... I'll get in shape, manage to maintain it for a while and then slowly start to gain weight until I hit a number that bothers me, snap and start another fitness cycle. ...
    Ah, welcome to fitness cycling for old people. No bike required!

It is amazing how many times a great streak toward a current goal has been derailed by a sports related injury - knee, shoulder, back (repeatedly). Getting old isn't for the faint of heart.

We could probably have a great injury thread. But we can't have a strange and stupid injury thread, because I'd win all the medals:

Tore my quadricep tendon off of my kneecap bowling. Yes bowling.

Broke my wrist playing whirlyball.

My sons tease me mercilessly - and rightfully so.

Has anyone ever used the Health app that comes pre-loaded on iPhones? I started fiddling with it yesterday out of curiosity. Seems like it's mostly just a matter of record-keeping. Does it have any interesting or useful functions other than data entry and compilation?

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Has anyone ever used the Health app that comes pre-loaded on iPhones? I started fiddling with it yesterday out of curiosity. Seems like it's mostly just a matter of record-keeping. Does it have any interesting or useful functions other than data entry and compilation?
    I use it, mostly for compilation. I keep track of my weight on there, and it's useful for seeing per-week, per-month, and per-year averages for various metrics (steps, calories burned, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    I use it, mostly for compilation. I keep track of my weight on there, and it's useful for seeing per-week, per-month, and per-year averages for various metrics (steps, calories burned, etc.).
    Including flights climbed (not sipped ) and miles walked. My obsessions since we got our iPhones. My wife has a FitBit so that's her "log."

More info and data this weekend. Too busy with work the next 3 days and attending the game tonight to add much useful here yet. Great thread.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I use Strava on my iPhone and Apple Watch. Especially like the heart rate monitoring on the watch while running.

I got into distance running in high school, quit during college, and started up again a few years later. Trained up and ran my first marathon in 2008. I've run about 7 since then, but I wouldn't say I was anything other than above average, nor that I felt awesome afterwards. I've also done a few distance relays (Ragnar, Blue Ridge, Reach the Beach, etc.) which are awesome experiences if you have a good group around you.

I'm goal oriented, so I needed the races on my schedule to keep me motivated. As soon as the race was over, if I don't schedule a new one I fall off the wagon. With kids, work, and volunteer activities I have had trouble finding the motivation and time to run for 45 minutes.

So this year I signed up for the Vac and Dash Streaker Challenge. Goal is to run at least 1 mile (fully clothed, lol) every day for an entire year. Cycling, swimming, hiking, etc. do not count towards your mile. I've always run 3-4 times per week at ~5 miles at a time, but I needed my recovery time. Never run every single day before. The streak is currently at 45 straight days. It's hard some days to get out and run, but the advantage is that it only takes about 10 minutes a day, so I can't make up a good excuse to not do it. Since I started I've lost around 5 pounds. As was said earlier, your body adjusts and now I don't yearn for the recovery day. In fact, when I do my runs now I can tell my body is anticipating the run.

So even if you only have 10 minutes a day, a little bit of exercise can make a noticeable difference.
    "There can BE only one."

great thread....i am back on the losing weight thing...i was suffering with some lower back and neck issues in the last qtr of 2017, but PT has helped me get back to excercise.

I Swim laps and do the machines at the Y....i swim 1000 yds on m/w/f and 45 mins of machines on tues/thurs, I walk on sat and sunday ( not much, about a mile each day)

since i'm much older than you whipper-snappers, i'm not looking to "train", just get back to a reasonable weight, keep the joints moving freely, and watch the heart. My diet is Weight Watchers, and i highly recommend it...the phone app is soooooo easy....never hungry, eating much better.

good luck to everyone...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Diet since first reading this thread yesterday:

Lunch: Baked pork tenderloin(3 medallion pcs) with no sauce or glaze, boiled cabbage, stewed apples.

Snack: Black coffee, protein pack with cheese cubes, cashews, grapes.

Dinner: Home made chicken tacos...ground chicken, black beans, re fried beans, olives, lettuce, little bit of cheese, avocado, tomatoes, jalepenos, on a wheat tortilla.

Breakfast: Fruit smoothie

Snack: Black coffee/apple

Lunch: Home made tuna salad(tuna, avocado, egg whites, jalepenos) on lettuce.

Dinner: Don't know yet but I'm starving!

This thread has inspired me. Human behavior is a hoot.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Diet since first reading this thread yesterday:

Black coffee/.

ugh...can't even...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    ugh...can't even...
    I'm new to it too. But once I saw how many calories were in my creamer, vs. the 2 calories in black coffee, it was a no brainier.

What is everyone's experience with alcohol and weight loss? I'm always debating whether I need to skip the nightly martini in order to lose weight...

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    What is everyone's experience with alcohol and weight loss? I'm always debating whether I need to skip the nightly martini in order to lose weight...
    A restful sleep and lower stress levels are important to weight loss ...

I found a big factor in weight loss is making little substitutions, lower fat ingredients, stairs instead of the elevator etc.

You could substitute red wine for the martini ...

For me, giving up beer and bread is the difference between weight gain and weight loss. Plus I have to work out in the morning, and a nightcap makes it harder for me to really get up at 5:30 to go to the gym.

Perhaps it would be different if my workout time was different.

it's a part of your daily intake...on the weight watchers "point system", a glass of red wine is 5 "points" for a 5 oz glass...a martini of 2oz is 6 "points"...

when you look at that from the perspective of being allowed 30 points for the whole day, you get a better picture of how the alcohol affects overall diet...

Alcohol can be a double whammy depending on what you drink. The alcohol slows down your metabolism and some drinks have lots of calories (especially if you have like 4-6 of them...like beers). I used to cut down on drinking when I was trying to raise my fitness level but the last couple of years I don't drink much so I don't have to adjust.

Alcohol can also adversely impact sleep, which is an important component of weight loss. It also encourages that extra few handfuls of chips or snacks that add a sneaky 150-300 calories without much thought.

I am far from anti-drinking, but it is not conducive to weight loss. For me, at least. (That one drink is easy to top off a few times before hitting the sack . . . .)

Well, off to the gym!

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Alcohol can be a double whammy depending on what you drink. The alcohol slows down your metabolism and some drinks have lots of calories (especially if you have like 4-6 of them...like beers). I used to cut down on drinking when I was trying to raise my fitness level but the last couple of years I don't drink much so I don't have to adjust.
    Drinking is not usually conducive to fat loss but the overall effects on fat mass, muscle mass, and fitness vary according to several factors. I would be shocked if there were a replicated study showing that it "slows down your metabolism."

Drinking normally causes weight (fat) gain due to two factors: (1) additional calories in the drinks and (2) poor eating choices while intoxicated (also more calories).

It's actually very difficult to cause a significant weight gain only through alcohol, because alcohol is not converted to stored energy. It is processed and expended or excreted. The carbohydrates in many drinks along with additional food are the source of the weight gain. Alcohol calories alone can, of course, prevent a person from achieving a caloric deficit to lose weight.

Moderate drinking actually correlates with several markers of increased fitness, and causal links have been established for some of them. At an average of about 1 drink per day, hormone levels are favorably affected in men, which can help with both fat loss and muscle accretion. Several drinks in a sitting, on the other hand, suppresses growth hormone and/or testosterone (can't recall off the top of my head which - probably both). That doesn't mean it decreases metabolic rate, though - if you keep an eye on a heart rate monitor after a night of heavy drinking, you will tend to find an elevated heart rate through much of the drinking and recovery period as your body works to overcome the stress.

And to think, all of these years I’ve been getting my health tips from Cosmo and Tiger Beat.

Great info on this thread, friends. Thanks.

I view it pretty much just like sweets - empty calories. I don't think drinking in moderation is going to adversely affect a fitness or diet plan. I like to have a drink in the evenings - rarely more than one - and it doesn't seem to impact my ability or willingness to run the following day, even early morning. I'm a little particular about alcohol anyway due to some personal experiences (my ex-wife was/ is an alcoholic), so I have rules for myself - I only allow myself a drink if I've burned a certain number of calories during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    And to think, all of these years I’ve been getting my health tips from Cosmo and Tiger Beat.

Great info on this thread, friends. Thanks.
    You can't believe any of this stuff - until you see it on a poster ...

My Fitness Pal is probably the single most effective weight loss tool, if used diligently. It makes you aware of every choice you make throughout the day. Particularly that time at night when we all too often ingest meaningless calories.

Just by thinking about the caloric impact a handful of chips will make on an otherwise successful healthy-eating day will often eliminate the craving.

Sometimes just not wanting to go through the hassle of finding your phone and logging another entry will convince you to forego a snack.

The app is now owned by Under Armour, so it is more robust than in the past, but there is more UA advertising.