Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    I work at a university and we get free fitness center access so I work out there three times a week. There is a dichotomy of exercisers there, students (18-21) and shall we call them mature (55-75). I'm in the latter group and am about half a century older than the students.

Workout tip: After you finish your sets on a resistance machine be sure to add 50 to 100 lbs to the weight so the youngster who follows will understand you've still got it.*

*Never actually had it in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I was trying to figure out the math afterwards. 60 minutes is 3600 seconds. I divided that by 2019 and came up with 1.7 seconds per rep. I couldn't do it.

There were also jumping jacks - plank jacks - high knees etc., that were quicker to do.

I fell short but we had people, pretty fit people, who made it.
    you would have to divide by 8076 to do 2019 reps of the 4 exercises you listed.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I’m not an expert (or a shoe salesperson), what little I have read suggests swapping out shoes every 90-120 days. Literally, your mileage may vary 🙄😂

This may be akin to auto industry and the 3000 mile oil change that seems to have evolved to 5k/7500 miles or whenever the car tells you.

All I will say is if buying newer shoes more often keeps you exercising longer, it’s a win.

I don’t own one, the apple watch series 4 and garmin fenix 5 seems like awesome splurges that are fitness related.
    For me it's around 400 miles. Usually I can feel it when the shoes are starting to lose their spring. My first instinct is to push it a few more miles, but then I compare the cost of a new pair of kicks to the cost of a doctor's visit for a stress fracture or shin splints.

Also, if you're not doing it already, only wear your running shoes when you run. Don't wear them around the house, etc. Once they hit 300-400 miles, then use them as milling around the house shoes and start a new pair of running only shoes.

I have the Garmin Forerunner 35, and it lets you associate gear to your runs which makes it very easy to track how many miles you've run in a specific pair of kicks, which is an easy way to track.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    For me it's around 400 miles. Usually I can feel it when the shoes are starting to lose their spring. My first instinct is to push it a few more miles, but then I compare the cost of a new pair of kicks to the cost of a doctor's visit for a stress fracture or shin splints.

Also, if you're not doing it already, only wear your running shoes when you run. Don't wear them around the house, etc. Once they hit 300-400 miles, then use them as milling around the house shoes and start a new pair of running only shoes.

I have the Garmin Forerunner 35, and it lets you associate gear to your runs which makes it very easy to track how many miles you've run in a specific pair of kicks, which is an easy way to track.
    My shoes are generally good for about 500-600 miles (I walk ardently, averaging close to 10 miles/day which includes ballroom dancing twice weekly) and I always buy 2 pair at the time and rotate them fairly equally. (No, I don't wear my running/walking shoes out on the dance floor.) I'm a cheap SOB but not as dumb as I look and "listen" to my feet, so when they start to ache a bit/feel fatigued, I'm off to buy another couple pair of quality shoes. On sale, of course.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    My shoes are generally good for about 500-600 miles (I walk ardently, averaging close to 10 miles/day which includes ballroom dancing twice weekly) and I always buy 2 pair at the time and rotate them fairly equally. (No, I don't wear my running/walking shoes out on the dance floor.) I'm a cheap SOB but not as dumb as I look and "listen" to my feet, so when they start to ache a bit/feel fatigued, I'm off to buy another couple pair of quality shoes. On sale, of course.
    Like many of you, I have a hierarchy of walking shoes...when they no longer have the feel I like, they get demoted to the rainy day/muddy day position (#2). After that is position #3, prime use of which is for lawn mowing, chores in the woods.
    Some last longer than others in that prime position. As long as they give me 110%, that's all I can ask of them.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Like many of you, I have a hierarchy of walking shoes...when they no longer have the feel I like, they get demoted to the rainy day/muddy day position (#2). After that is position #3, prime use of which is for lawn mowing, chores in the woods.
    Some last longer than others in that prime position. As long as they give me 110%, that's all I can ask of them.
    Yeah, I have a similar hierarchy. I don't track miles, I'm not a big runner, I basically go by feel to determine when it time to relegate.

... As long as they give me 110%, that's all I can ask of them.
    Do your shoes thank the Lord for the opportunity when you retire them, and do you then say something 'aw shucks' about how the shoes led the way and you were just along for the ride?

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Do your shoes thank the Lord for the opportunity when you retire them, and do you then say something 'aw shucks' about how the shoes led the way and you were just along for the ride?
    When my shoes are worn out, I take Ol' Roy's advice and throw them under the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    I do know that when I take my shoes off, the tongues point to the sky, so yeah, I believe they are expressing appropriate sports theology.

... the tongues point to the sky ...
    Dean Smith taught them how to do that.

Today marks one full year of self-improvement for me...tomorrow is the one-year anniversary of the day I walked into the gym to get started. On that day, I set the initial goals of benching 3 full sets of at least 100 pounds, and running a 10-minute mile all the way through (at the time, I decidedly could not do either of those things).
    This morning, I did three sets of 125-pound press, and ran a(nother) sub-23:00 5k. My wife occasionally takes me to task for being a bit infatuated with the mirror, but I honestly still can't believe that's me.
    This thread has been a valuable source of celebration and support for me, and I hope that y'all are finding inspiration too. I never could have dreamed a year ago that I could do these things or look and feel this way.

BOD

Has anyone on here used Beachbody On Demand? I've done Beachbody workouts before (P90X and Insanity) via purchased DVD's. The On Demand service enables you to stream any workout they have online. There are quite a few. It has tools to track and create workouts. Also has a 14-30 day trial available so I was thinking of giving it a go in an attempt to restart/ramp up my workouts. So I was curious if anyone had tried it. Assuming the streaming works well, I'm really curious about the tools to help choose workouts, create plan, etc.

down 26 pounds! 14 to go...

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    down 26 pounds! 14 to go...
    Nice! I just got back on the wagon. Started riding my bike to work 3 times a week a couple of weeks ago. Haven't weighed yet, but I can feel my clothes starting to fit better, well, actually fit again, without my belly testing the tensile strength of the buttons on my shirts. 😂

One month in the books riding my bike 3 times a week.

I've made no diet changes, still drink ymmmmm beer! but I've lost 12 pounds!! I know that's not sustainable, but I should still able to reach my goal weight of 200lbs by Thanksgiving which is my goal.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post

I've made no diet changes, still drink ymmmmm beer! but I've lost 12 pounds!! I know that's not sustainable, but I should still able to reach my goal weight of 200lbs by Thanksgiving which is my goal.
    That's a great start LHL! You going to make some diet changes? For me the exercise and diet changes feed off of each other and gain/feed momentum.

A group of friends have set a goal of losing 5 lbs in 7 weeks (some misc event for a friend). I hope to lose 5 by then and then another 5-10 by the end of the year. Breaking even through the holidays takes work so I need get most of the weight loss out of the way early (with the exception of the next two weeks when I'll be on vacation in Ireland).

Good stuff! I'm still where I was a month ago. I've still been dieting, for the most part, but have been less physically active over the last few weeks. I'm actually pretty happy where I'm at as far as weight, I'm more concerned with gaining some muscle at this point.

I only enjoy ymm, beers on the weekend. That has helped quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    That's a great start LHL! You going to make some diet changes? For me the exercise and diet changes feed off of each other and gain/feed momentum.

A group of friends have set a goal of losing 5 lbs in 7 weeks (some misc event for a friend). I hope to lose 5 by then and then another 5-10 by the end of the year. Breaking even through the holidays takes work so I need get most of the weight loss out of the way early (with the exception of the next two weeks when I'll be on vacation in Ireland).
    Yeah, I'm going to, just haven't started yet. I typically eat pretty healthy, and not many sweets at all. Just too much beer, and just wasn't exercising. Combine that with turning 40 last year, and I started packing on pounds.

But I'm going to make an effort to take in less least and more greens. I need it because I can tell a huge difference in my rides depending on what I had to eat the day before.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Good stuff! I'm still where I was a month ago. I've still been dieting, for the most part, but have been less physically active over the last few weeks. I'm actually pretty happy where I'm at as far as weight, I'm more concerned with gaining some muscle at this point.

I only enjoy ymm, beers on the weekend. That has helped quite a bit.
    Beers on the weekend only is also my new goal. I want to get my belly fat down, and then I plan to start weight lifting on the day's I don't ride.

I have been challenged by by my 14 year old that I could not train enough to dunk a basketball again before he can for the first time. (He's already 5'11")

I just hope my back can hold up.

Which ones?

The weight loss is impressive. Keep up the pedaling and sipping.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.