Page 15 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    everyone has their own way of doing things, getting motivated, etc, but I've personally found that "no excuses" is a good exercise philosophy...rain, snow, whatever, just gotta go do it.
    Rain isn't all that bad, though 33 degree rain is pretty marginal I find.
    Pretty raw conditions, I agree, but I have a waterproof coat, Duke ski cap, gloves (with or without glove liners), umbrella, thermax, Duke sweatshirt and some waterproof shoes with double socks at times and I'm rather toasty. I'll skip a walk if it's a downpour as we don't have any oars/paddles.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Pretty raw conditions, I agree, but I have a waterproof coat, Duke ski cap, gloves (with or without glove liners), umbrella, thermax, Duke sweatshirt and some waterproof shoes with double socks at times and I'm rather toasty. I'll skip a walk if it's a downpour as we don't have any oars/paddles.
    In raw conditions I have shorts, a tee Duke shirt my running sneakers....and a treadmill

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    In raw conditions I have shorts, a tee Duke shirt my running sneakers...and a treadmill
    LOL. Common sense is sometimes not on my list of preparations for exercise . Mrs. dd will verify that (along with several other items/times, too, I'm sure, if she's contacted).

yup, I have the equipment and do it, but to me those are the worst possible conditions. A steady snow is kind of fun (if you don't get run over by a car).

I finished my year with a couple of weeks of struggle, especially on the treadmill. Haven’t been in the greatest rhythm, but at least I’ve been there. I finish the year 46 pounds lighter and down about 6 inches from where I started.
    Now I guess I get to grumble for a few weeks about the January gym clientele (who already seemed to be in full force today).

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I finished my year with a couple of weeks of struggle, especially on the treadmill. Haven’t been in the greatest rhythm, but at least I’ve been there. I finish the year 46 pounds lighter and down about 6 inches from where I started.
    Now I guess I get to grumble for a few weeks about the January gym clientele (who already seemed to be in full force today).
    Impressive and inspiring!

Almost 30K steps yesterday with an AM walk, a spirited trip into WW, a very dispirited shuffle out of WW, a walk before dinner and 3 hours of ballroom dancing. 13.1 miles. Hey, I completed a half marathon yesterday!
    Wife and I just signed up for the Detroit INTERNATIONAL half marathon in October. Truly unique, part of the course is in Canada along the southern bank of the Detroit River. We get to run over the Ambassador Bridge into Canada at sunrise - a tremendous site that slows you down a few minutes for pictures - and we return to the US through the tunnel UNDER the river. Yeah! The things I do for love ...

Now I've got 9+ months to get back into shape to go 13.1! It has been 2 years since my last go at it … Happy frickin' New Year!

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Walked same distance today.
    Ran after my dog. Finally gave up sat down winded. Dog comes up sits beside me .go figure.
    Walking my Airedale daily was the first step for me in losing over 50 pounds. He was happy to help! A few years later I completed a half marathon.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Wife and I just signed up for the Detroit INTERNATIONAL half marathon in October. Truly unique, part of the course is in Canada along the southern bank of the Detroit River. We get to run over the Ambassador Bridge into Canada at sunrise - a tremendous site that slows you down a few minutes for pictures - and we return to the US through the tunnel UNDER the river. Yeah! The things I do for love ...

Now I've got 9+ months to get back into shape to go 13.1! It has been 2 years since my last go at it … Happy frickin' New Year!

Walking my Airedale daily was the first step for me in losing over 50 pounds. He was happy to help! A few years later I completed a half marathon.
    An hour walk in the AM and another hour in the afternoon and then ballroom dancing from 830-MN yesterday for a total of over 29K steps/13.6 miles. The legs were tired.

That sounds awesome! I played a ton of team sports growing up but was never a runner. I did my first 5k in 2017 and was hooked. Unfortunately, a hip surgery in 2018 and another one scheduled for February of this year have put a dent in my ability to enjoy my new hobby. My new goal is a 10k this fall and then maybe a half marathon in 2020.

Since June of 2017 the hip has limited me to a total of about 12 miles run but from January of 2017 I have lost 40 pounds and kept it off even without the ability to consistently exercise the way that I would like. At 32 years old I now weigh less than I did the day I graduated from high school and I am very much looking forward to getting back out there running in June/July!!

Hey y’all. New to the thread. I wanted to join in because I need to get my weight under control. I’m 25, 5’10, 210lbs. I’m not grossly overweight yet, but considering 5 years ago, I was 170lbs with abs poking through, I know I have a problem. In the past five years, I have gotten married and have 2 kids. On top of that, my metabolism isn’t near what it used to be. I love to eat bad food. I’m very picky and I don’t like any healthy vegetables. This is new territory for me because I used to just stay in shape. Now I’m out of shape, trying to get back in, and don’t have near the time that I used to. Any tips on what to eat, how to keep from wanting to eat so much, and good weight loss exercises? I know a lot of it is will-power, but my wife is starting to get concerned and so am I, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DaleDuke7 View Post
    Hey y’all. New to the thread. I wanted to join in because I need to get my weight under control. I’m 25, 5’10, 210lbs. I’m not grossly overweight yet, but considering 5 years ago, I was 170lbs with abs poking through, I know I have a problem. In the past five years, I have gotten married and have 2 kids. On top of that, my metabolism isn’t near what it used to be. I love to eat bad food. I’m very picky and I don’t like any healthy vegetables. This is new territory for me because I used to just stay in shape. Now I’m out of shape, trying to get back in, and don’t have near the time that I used to. Any tips on what to eat, how to keep from wanting to eat so much, and good weight loss exercises? I know a lot of it is will-power, but my wife is starting to get concerned and so am I, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Welcome!

I'd start with setting a few goals for where you want to be in a year. Write them down and put the paper somewhere you will see it every single day. Helps with accountability. Break the goals up into smaller segments, 1 month, 1 quarter, six months, etc, with specific actions you'll take in each segment. The goals are more tangible this way.

For fitness, just start doing something everyday. It's amazing how much 15-20 minutes of exercise can help. Walk, jog, push-ups, anything. Just start by doing something and carving out time in your schedule for it.

For diet, everything in moderation has always been my motto. Start making small, subtle changes. Drink water instead of coke, get a salad instead of fries, eat a banana for a snack instead of chips, etc. Don't buy junk so it's not in the house. That's half the battle (for me at least). Find a few healthy dishes you like and rely on those to start. Try branching out to new things and seeing what you like after that.

Find someone else to hold your accountable. Your wife, a friend, this thread. It helps when you know you're not in it alone.

Just my suggestions. Find what works for you!

A few 2019 challenges of note

Thought I'd put in a plug for a few virtual challenges for those looking for a 2019 goal:

Want to run a mile a day in 2019 and be a Streaker? Sign up for the Vac and Dash Streaker Club challenge - https://runsignup.com/Race/NC/Albema...reakerClub2018

Want a different challenge? How about a virtual walk or run across NC? - just walk (or run) 548 miles in 12 months (Manteo to Murphy). No requirement to walk every day - https://runsignup.com/Race/NC/Albema...thCarolina2019

Vac and Dash is a local specialty shop in Albemarle, NC. They do a little bit of everything, but running equipment is their primary business. They also sell vacuum cleaners (the vac part of the name), do bike repair, screen printing, UPS shipping, and swim team gear (vac, dash, and splash). The owner, Peter Asciutto, is a good friend of mine and a super supporter of running in the area. He has a knack for crazy races like "Fellowship of the Idiots" and the "Moonlight Movie and 1/2 Marathon." If you're close enough to join for a race, they are a blast.

I just completed my first year as a streaker and signed on for a second year. Did 2 miles this morning. Goal is 1,000 for the year!
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Welcome!

I'd start with setting a few goals for where you want to be in a year. Write them down and put the paper somewhere you will see it every single day. Helps with accountability. Break the goals up into smaller segments, 1 month, 1 quarter, six months, etc, with specific actions you'll take in each segment. The goals are more tangible this way.

For fitness, just start doing something everyday. It's amazing how much 15-20 minutes of exercise can help. Walk, jog, push-ups, anything. Just start by doing something and carving out time in your schedule for it.

For diet, everything in moderation has always been my motto. Start making small, subtle changes. Drink water instead of coke, get a salad instead of fries, eat a banana for a snack instead of chips, etc. Don't buy junk so it's not in the house. That's half the battle (for me at least). Find a few healthy dishes you like and rely on those to start. Try branching out to new things and seeing what you like after that.

Find someone else to hold your accountable. Your wife, a friend, this thread. It helps when you know you're not in it alone.

Great post, luburch. He gives great advice here. Just this morning our company fitness newsletter said that you are more likely to hit goals if you write them down. I like to post on Facebook or Twitter and do group texts with friends too. Making it public is motivating for me because the more people I feel like I have to answer to the more likely I am to meet my goals.

One thing I'll add is that with both diet and fitness is to take the advice above and find what works for you. For example, with my diet, I start simple: more water, less sugar, less fat, more smaller meals (5-6 small vs 3 big + snacks). Once I get some momentum I get more strict and vary the diet. With fitness, I try to find something I can stick to. I've done Insanity, P90X and Body for Life multiple times because I do well with a schedule and need the high intensity to break the cycle. I've also just used traditional workouts mixing lifting with cardio. I also have trouble sticking to the diet if I'm not doing the work so I try to start both at the same time.

I hate the all common and make the yearly new years resolution but if it gets me restarted....

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Welcome!

My wife and I still eat most of our favorite food, but we look for substitutes/reduction in our favorite recipes...fat free yogurt, cut the oil in half, 2% cheese, etc.
    Emphasizing protein and fiber intake has also really worked for me.
    You can do it!

Thanks!
    Here is my advice from a fellow picky eater:
    • If there's a vegetable you do like then eat a bunch of it and season it different ways for some variety
    • Chop them up really small and "hide" them like some moms do for their toddlers It sounds weird but little pieces of shaved carrot can hide in spaghetti sauce. I started adding tiny pieces of bell pepper to my taco meat when cooking it and now I actually like them
    • Find a favorite seasoning. I used to eat grilled chicken and french fries with cajun seasoning. Now I put that seasoning on some roasted zuchinni, squash, and bell peppers.
    • No change is too small - One of my favorite meals used to be taco pie, a crescent roll crust topped with taco meat, sour cream, and a ton of cheese. First I changed the sour cream to plain greek yogurt. Then I cut down on the amount of cheese. Once I got to like them I started adding in sauteed bell peppers. Eventually I got rid of the greek yogurt too. Now the crescent roll crust is gone and i eat it with some corn tortilla chips. You can't really call it taco pie anymore but I still enjoy eating it just as much as I did the taco pie and it's better for me too. Start small and your taste buds and cravings will change along with you if you give it time.

Quote Originally Posted by kmspeaks View Post
    Here is my advice from a fellow picky eater:
    • If there's a vegetable you do like then eat a bunch of it and season it different ways for some variety
    • Chop them up really small and "hide" them like some moms do for their toddlers It sounds weird but little pieces of shaved carrot can hide in spaghetti sauce. I started adding tiny pieces of bell pepper to my taco meat when cooking it and now I actually like them
    • Find a favorite seasoning. I used to eat grilled chicken and french fries with cajun seasoning. Now I put that seasoning on some roasted zuchinni, squash, and bell peppers.
    • No change is too small - One of my favorite meals used to be taco pie, a crescent roll crust topped with taco meat, sour cream, and a ton of cheese. First I changed the sour cream to plain greek yogurt. Then I cut down on the amount of cheese. Once I got to like them I started adding in sauteed bell peppers. Eventually I got rid of the greek yogurt too. Now the crescent roll crust is gone and i eat it with some corn tortilla chips. You can't really call it taco pie anymore but I still enjoy eating it just as much as I did the taco pie and it's better for me too. Start small and your taste buds and cravings will change along with you if you give it time.
    Tremendous advice! It takes time, but your taste buds do adjust. Reduce salt whenever possible!

Try new ways of ingesting vegetables: smoothies and omelets (or scrambled eggs) are great vegetable delivery vehicles. Put onions and spinach in EVERYTHING. If you chop up spinach, it cooks down to nothing but is a great nutritional boost. Onions are a good gateway addition. Spinach also goes well in smoothies, as long as you can get over the sight of green slime approaching your mouth.

Water is critical, lots of water. Many times you think you are hungry you are actually just thirsty. Think of all the extra steps you'll get in just by going to pee every hour!

Had to pull the trigger on a new pair of running shoes, as I've almost run right through the last pair (bought them Feb of last year and they've gotten lots of good use!).
    I found a great deal on an older model of the same Sauconys that have done a good job for me in the past...$55, as opposed to like $120 new.

Tremendous advice! It takes time, but your taste buds do adjust. Reduce salt whenever possible!

Try new ways of ingesting vegetables: smoothies and omelets (or scrambled eggs) are great vegetable delivery vehicles. Put onions and spinach in EVERYTHING. If you chop up spinach, it cooks down to nothing but is a great nutritional boost. Onions are a good gateway addition. Spinach also goes well in smoothies, as long as you can get over the sight of green slime approaching your mouth.

Water is critical, lots of water. Many times you think you are hungry you are actually just thirsty. Think of all the extra steps you'll get in just by going to pee every hour!
    Sometimes it is all in how the vegetables are prepared. For example, I HATED green beans as a kid. My mom would fix a very strong flavored bean that was cooked down to mush. Almost vinegar tasting. I went to my mother in law's house and she fixed them differently - she would wash the beans first and not cook them nearly as long. Delicious.

Other veggies I have grown to like:
    - Roasted veggies - our kids are picky eaters but love this. Get Broccoli, Asparagus, carrots, cauliflower, or whatever you like, chop up in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Add Salt and pepper, then put on a sheet pan for about 12 minutes at 425. Still crunchy, but flavorful. Broccoli and asparagus work best.
    - Veggie infused pasta - tastes about the same and gives you some veggie servings.
    - zucchini and squash - these veggies taste pretty much like whatever you cook them with. Add them with your favorite meat dish.
    - Brussel Sprouts - biggest mistake most people make is overcooking them. Cut them in half, then sear them in a pan for about 5 minutes. REALLY good. Several recipes online.

I've also enjoyed Blue Apron. You get a box with two full meals every week (or every 2 weeks, or whatever schedule you like). You pick from about 3-4 recipes and they send you all the fresh ingredients. Really a great way to learn how to prepare unusual veggies (bok choy, greens, ginger, etc.). Prep can take 20 min or more, but meals are generally pretty good. If you want a referral, send me a DM and you can get a free box. Only downside is you have to stay on top of the scheduling app or you'll get overrun with boxes of food. Cost is less than getting takeout generally. Just Fresh is a similar service.
    "There can BE only one."

Very nice to hear all of your fitness journeys.

At age 68, I have found a nice routine. I lift weights two days a week. I primarily do free weights and emphasize bench press, inverted bench, military press, squats, curls, and dead lifts.

I do "boot camp" once a week. It's an hour of high intensity, interval training. I attended this morning and, in honor of the new year, we did 2019 reps of push ups, sit up, burpees, squats etc. I didn't hit the mark, most of the class didn't but it was great fun with lots of pain.

I try to run twice a week, weather permitting. If the weather isn't good, I run sprints in the gym.

I have found, in recent years, the challenge is overcoming small injuries that limit my activity. I'm always injuring a shoulder, knee, or thigh. Nothing serious but enough to make me modify my routine.

I do a lot of skiing and hiking in the Colorado mountains.

As I am getting older, I find a real joy in physical activity. I was never a great athlete, but through steady and satisfying work outs, I am more fit than most of my my age group.

On the downside, I'd like to lose ten pounds. I have limited my eating and drinking and have made some slow progress. I love beer and, despite recent cut backs, it is probably my downfall.

So, none of us are Zion Williamson. Through age and genetics, we are doing the best we can. Hang in there everyone and happy New Year.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Very nice to hear all of your fitness journeys.

At age 68, I have found a nice routine. I lift weights two days a week. I primarily do free weights and emphasize bench press, inverted bench, military press, squats, curls, and dead lifts.

I do "boot camp" once a week. It's an hour of high intensity, interval training. I attended this morning and, in honor of the new year, we did 2019 reps of push ups, sit up, burpees, squats etc. I didn't hit the mark, most of the class didn't but it was great fun with lots of pain.

I try to run twice a week, weather permitting. If the weather isn't good, I run sprints in the gym.

I have found, in recent years, the challenge is overcoming small injuries that limit my activity. I'm always injuring a shoulder, knee, or thigh. Nothing serious but enough to make me modify my routine.

I do a lot of skiing and hiking in the Colorado mountains.

As I am getting older, I find a real joy in physical activity. I was never a great athlete, but through steady and satisfying work outs, I am more fit than most of my my age group.

On the downside, I'd like to lose ten pounds. I have limited my eating and drinking and have made some slow progress. I love beer and, despite recent cut backs, it is probably my downfall.

So, none of us are Zion Williamson. Through age and genetics, we are doing the best we can. Hang in there everyone and happy New Year.
    Great info! Sounds like the only thing lacking is regular participation here:

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...?3840-Ymm-Beer