Page 14 of 43 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Kicking off the holidays right, with a Monday morning milestone.
    My alarm went off this morning and I did NOT want to go to the gym, but was really feeling like I needed to, in order to earn this week's gluttony. So I dragged myself in and was rewarded with my first sub-23 5k—22:53. That’s another 14 secs off my previous PB.
    Now pass the turkey.

Fitness thread currently in hiatus due to copious belching and other gaseous emissions! Did manage to amble five miles with dog both yesterday and today, yesterday at
    8 degrees and a nice breeze, today at 5 degrees. Brisk.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Fitness thread currently in hiatus due to copious belching and other gaseous emissions! Did manage to amble five miles with dog both yesterday and today, yesterday at
    8 degrees and a nice breeze, today at 5 degrees. Brisk.
    TMI but I may have a solution:

220px-Simethicone_structure.svg.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simeticone
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I kind of like sharing it with nature, DD

Ok I have osteoarthritis in my knees.today i walked around a mile .which is good for me at 5ft 11 280.200 is probably around my ideal weight
    Lifted weights with jr for a while .we shall see how it goes.but it's a start.

it's a start....best game plan...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Walked same distance today.
    Ran after my dog. Finally gave up sat down winded. Dog comes up sits beside me .go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Walked same distance today.
    Ran after my dog. Finally gave up sat down winded. Dog comes up sits beside me .go figure.
    Almost 30K steps yesterday with an AM walk, a spirited trip into WW, a very dispirited shuffle out of WW, a walk before dinner and 3 hours of ballroom dancing. 13.1 miles. Hey, I completed a half marathon yesterday!

That's great seriously keep going .I stopped way to long ago.one day . I will be better than now.one day I'll get miles.
    I put up 160 on the bench did two sets of 10.then some smaller 10 15 pound curls.i felt real old my 9th grader throws 220 on .starts benching like it isnt anything.says geezer laughs walks out.he dic bring me a water.

Pre-Christmas bump.

I've been battling a cold for a little over a week now. Still managing to get a run in each day. Six solid weeks of training in the books so far.

Usually attempt to hit the gym 3 times a week as well. Work, and this cold, have made that a little more difficult recently. Hoping to make it at least two days next week.

Hope everyone is hanging tough in their pursuit of fitness. It's easy to get sidetracked at this time of the year.

brisk five mile walk at eight degrees below zero the other day, it gets the blood flowing...how the dog does this naked is beyond me...-5 right now, I guess we get to do it again...

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Pre-Christmas bump.

I've been battling a cold for a little over a week now. Still managing to get a run in each day. Six solid weeks of training in the books so far.

Usually attempt to hit the gym 3 times a week as well. Work, and this cold, have made that a little more difficult recently. Hoping to make it at least two days next week.

Hope everyone is hanging tough in their pursuit of fitness. It's easy to get sidetracked at this time of the year.
    I'm feeling this a little bit too...my baseline weight is up a pound or two in recent weeks, but I'm still feeling good about having maintained momentum, and have indulged rather frequently since Thanksgiving with not too many ill effects (I will want to shave those couple of lbs back off after Christmas).

I'm trying to do enough to break even for the holidays (failed last year and gained a few lbs).

At work they are having a 12 days of Fitness event. Each day you get a new exercise. You do that days exercise and all the previous days as well (the same way you sing that annoying 12 Days of Christmas song). Today is day 9. Each exercise is pretty simple but it's starting to add up...and it' gotten me into the gym 9 work days in a row. Today it was:

9 Plyo Lunges
    8 Balance Knee Crunches (alternate knee crunch while balanced no 1/2 an exercise ball - good comedy)
    7 Dumbbell Bench Presses (on an exercise ball)
    6 Rainbow Ball Slams
    5 Plank Knee touches (from plank touch alternate knee, basically by going pike position)
    4 Tuck Jumps
    3 Pull Ups
    2 Rock and Roll Ups (lay on back with medicine ball over head, roll back with knees then forward up to standing - also good comedy)
    1 Mile Exercise Bike ride

It's kinda fun coming in each day to see what's next. I'm adding extra exercises and reps as I go to make it a more real workout and I'm hitting the treadmill after the bike ride. They put up posters with everyone's name and you get a stamp by your name when you make it in for a workout. That pretty much guarantees that I'm not going to miss a day. Ends Tuesday, hopefully it'll just be the start of me getting back into the gym (which is on the first floor of my building...most convenient gym ever - no excuses).

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Pre-Christmas bump.

If either my wife or I have a mild URI/cold, we generally feel really good after a brisk 3-5 mile walk as the nasal and lower respiratory are marked "clearer" as the exercise progresses. Those effects generally last an hour or two also. We find ourselves walking twice daily at times under those circumstances. Now, if we've got a productive cough and/or fever, we might dial it back a bit.

As for budwom and his hound platoon at -8 degrees, that's another story.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I'm feeling this a little bit too...my baseline weight is up a pound or two in recent weeks, but I'm still feeling good about having maintained momentum, and have indulged rather frequently since Thanksgiving with not too many ill effects (I will want to shave those couple of lbs back off after Christmas).
    Start shaving those pounds off now so it's not 5-10 lbs after Christmas. (Your friendly PSA of the day .)

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I'm trying to do enough to break even for the holidays (failed last year and gained a few lbs).

At work they are having a 12 days of Fitness event. Each day you get a new exercise. You do that days exercise and all the previous days as well (the same way you sing that annoying 12 Days of Christmas song). Today is day 9. Each exercise is pretty simple but it's starting to add up...and it' gotten me into the gym 9 work days in a row. Today it was:

9 Plyo Lunges
    8 Balance Knee Crunches (alternate knee crunch while balanced no 1/2 an exercise ball - good comedy)
    7 Dumbbell Bench Presses (on an exercise ball)
    6 Rainbow Ball Slams
    5 Plank Knee touches (from plank touch alternate knee, basically by going pike position)
    4 Tuck Jumps
    3 Pull Ups
    2 Rock and Roll Ups (lay on back with medicine ball over head, roll back with knees then forward up to standing - also good comedy)
    1 Mile Exercise Bike ride

It's kinda fun coming in each day to see what's next. I'm adding extra exercises and reps as I go to make it a more real workout and I'm hitting the treadmill after the bike ride. They put up posters with everyone's name and you get a stamp by your name when you make it in for a workout. That pretty much guarantees that I'm not going to miss a day. Ends Tuesday, hopefully it'll just be the start of me getting back into the gym (which is on the first floor of my building...most convenient gym ever - no excuses).
    That'd be difficult to balance with a beer Advent calendar...

That'd be difficult to balance with a beer Advent calendar...

LOL, that may be tomorrow's exercise!

Start shaving those pounds off now so it's not 5-10 lbs after Christmas. (Your friendly PSA of the day .)
    Good news: Today’s weigh-in was exactly where it should be.
    Better news: Today’s 5K was a personal best...down to 22:37 now.
    Best news: in a little more than 8 hours, I’ll be on vacation!

Ran a short distance in the rain with a friend this morning.

I love the energy you feel even after a brief bit of exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Ran a short distance in the rain with a friend this morning.

I love the energy you feel even after a brief bit of exercise.
    everyone has their own way of doing things, getting motivated, etc, but I've personally found that "no excuses" is a good exercise philosophy...rain, snow, whatever, just gotta go do it.
    Rain isn't all that bad, though 33 degree rain is pretty marginal I find.